Windows 10: Hyper-V & Win10 #2

Discus and support Hyper-V & Win10 #2 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is there a way to create a Desktop shortcut to the Hyper-V Windows 10 Client so when I double click it I launch Windows 10 under Hyper-V? I've seen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ztruker, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Ztruker Win User

Hyper-V & Win10 #2

Is there a way to create a Desktop shortcut to the Hyper-V Windows 10 Client so when I double click it I launch Windows 10 under Hyper-V?

I've seen suggestions for Powershell and VB scripts, none of which I could get to work.

:)

Ztruker, Oct 8, 2014
  2. DAVIDOMNI Win User

Hyper-V causing boot loop in Windows 10 Pro x64

Thanks for noting, good to know the problem appears to be specific to our hardware & Win10’s version of Hyper-V! That’s exactly my system; EVGA X58 SLI, 24GB RAM & i7-920 which is now back on Win8.1 & Hyper-V… working normal.

DAVIDOMNI, Oct 8, 2014
  3. DAVIDOMNI Win User
    Hyper-V causing boot loop in Windows 10 Pro x64

Yep given most responses in this thread, seems that EVGA X58 Mobo (141-BL-E760-A1) running SLI and/or Intel i7 920 combo with Win10 Hyper-V breaks the build. I’ve rebuild back to 8.1 & all is well again with Hyper-V hosting 6 instances. Since Hyper-V &
    the hardware work rock solid on Win8.1, it appears MSFT has made changes to Win10’s Hyper-V, thus an update is needed or we’re stuck w/ 8.1. Amazing how a company worth some $300ish Billion can release a new product that breaks things which previously worked!
    Hyper-V & Win10 #2 :mad:

DAVIDOMNI, Oct 8, 2014
  4. adamf Win User

Hyper-V & Win10 #2

I use this - change the name of the VM and save it somewhere as something.ps1

Code: $vmToStart="CentOS_7_minimal" if ((Get-VMIntegrationService $vmToStart | ?{$_.name -eq "Heartbeat"}).PrimaryStatusDescription -ne "OK") { Write-Host "Starting server..." -foregroundcolor "blue" start-vm $vmToStart do {Start-Sleep -milliseconds 100} until ((Get-VMIntegrationService $vmToStart | ?{$_.name -eq "Heartbeat"}).PrimaryStatusDescription -eq "OK") Write-Host "Server started." -foregroundcolor "yellow" }[/quote] Then you need to make a shortcut with the target like this (but change the path) - the important bit is in bold or it will fail unless you enable all Powershell scripts which you do not want to do.

Code: %SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass -File"C:\Users\adam\OneDrive\Windows Software\Powershell\Something.ps1"[/quote] Like this your Powershell window will stay open and wait until the VM is responding.

Otherwise start-vm whatever_the_name would be sufficient as long as your shortcut is OK.

adamf, Oct 8, 2014
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Doesn't work. I created "D:\tools\Windows 10 TP.ps1" as follows:

Code: $vmToStart="Windows 10" if ((Get-VMIntegrationService $vmToStart | ?{$_.name -eq "Heartbeat"}).PrimaryStatusDescription -ne "OK") { Write-Host "Starting server..." -foregroundcolor "blue" start-vm $vmToStart do {Start-Sleep -milliseconds 100} until ((Get-VMIntegrationService $vmToStart | ?{$_.name -eq "Heartbeat"}).PrimaryStatusDescription -eq "OK") Write-Host "Server started." -foregroundcolor "yellow" }[/quote] Created a shortcut as follows:

Code: %SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass -File "D:\tools\Windows 10 TP.ps1"[/quote] When I double click the shortcut, a windows opens for about a second:

Hyper-V & Win10 #2 [​IMG]

No Windows 10 Hyper-V client starts.

This is the Hyper-V manager window:

Ztruker, Oct 8, 2014
  6. adamf Win User
    I'll have to test it tomorrow Rich unless someone else can help out - I'm going to bed.

EDIT - if you put the -noexit switch in the shortcut you'll see the error

The exact code that works for me is this - in case I left out a bracket before as I left out some extra bits as I then wait for a service to start and show a web page.

I also forgot to say you have to run as administrator - I know you don't use UAC but it might be worth changing the shortcut anyway just in case.
    Code: $vmToStart="CentOS_7_minimal" $url="http://"+$vmToStart+":9091/" if ((Get-VMIntegrationService $vmToStart | ?{$_.name -eq "Heartbeat"}).PrimaryStatusDescription -ne "OK") { Write-Host "Starting Transmission server..." -foregroundcolor "blue" start-vm $vmToStart do {Start-Sleep -milliseconds 100} until ((Get-VMIntegrationService $vmToStart | ?{$_.name -eq "Heartbeat"}).PrimaryStatusDescription -eq "OK") Write-Host "Transmission server started." -foregroundcolor "yellow" Write-Host "Starting Transmission service..." -foregroundcolor "blue" $webClient = New-Object System.Net.WebClient Do { Start-Sleep -Seconds 1 try { $content = $webClient.DownloadString($url) } catch { Write-Host "Page not yet retrieved . . ."} } While ( $content -eq $null) } Start-Process $url[/quote]
    Shortcut:

Target: %SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -noexit -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass -File "C:\Users\adam\OneDrive\Windows Software\Powershell\StartTransmission.ps1"

Start in: %windir%

adamf, Oct 8, 2014
  7. Go into program files\Hyper-v
    Go into the 6.3 folder and find the vmconnect.exe and right click and send to desktop. It will create a short cut on your desktop.
    Right click the shortcut on your desktop.
    at the end of the target path line add the servername and the vmname

"C:\Program Files\Hyper-V\6.3\vmconnect6.3.exe" hvserver vmmachinename

save your short cut and you should be good to go.

If you need more help let me know.

EvilJenius, Oct 8, 2014
  8. Kari Win User

Hyper-V & Win10 #2

To clarify this, talking about native Hyper-V in Windows 10 Technical Preview:

• By default the standalone Virtual Machine Connection (VMC) has to be run elevated (if user's role is not changed in authorization management), so from shortcut's Advanced Properties, enable Run as administrator
    • The correct address for the standalone VMC in Windows 10 Tech Preview is %windir%\system32\vmconnect6.3.exe. The executable in C:\Program Files\Hyper-V\6.3 does not run in Win 10 Tech preview

Elevated VMC run from C:\Program Files\Hyper-V\6.3:

Elevated VMC run from C:\Windows\system32\:

Kari, Oct 8, 2014
  9. Kari Win User
    Kari, Oct 9, 2014
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Worked perfectly Kari, thanks, and thanks to all of you for your assistance and ideas.

Ztruker, Oct 9, 2014
  11. Kari Win User
    You are welcome *Smile.

12. I get what your saying. True I am running it from a Server vs. Local.

He still should be able to flag it and launch directly into the VM with out having to select from the drop down.

EvilJenius, Oct 9, 2014
  13. Kari Win User

Hyper-V & Win10 #2

I have Windows 10 Tech Preview installed on three physical computers, clean install on each. Not a single one of those three can use the vmconnect6.3.exe in Hyper-V\6.3 folder.

Version 6.3 in Windows Technical Preview:

I don't want to start an argument about this, everyone is free to do and try whatever they decide. For me it is quite clear that version Virtual Machine Connection 6.3 does not work on Windows 10 Technical Preview as you suggested. Windows 10 Tech Preview requires Virtual Machine Connection 6.4 (vmconnect.exe) which is located in Windows\System32 folder:

14. Kari Win User
    Interesting: Checking this a bit more, I found out that the vmconnect6.3.exe file in Hyper-V\6.3 folder is the exactly same version than the 6.4 version in Windows\System32 folder.

Anyway, for reasons unknown to me I have tested the one in Hyper-V\6.3 folder on three computers with totally different hardware and it refuses to work on any of them. I really see no point to argue, the vmconnect.exe inWindows\System32 folder works flawlessly.

15. No one is starting an argument here. I edited my post as I missed the local machine part. The one I posted works perfectly if connecting to a 2012 r2 server running HV, you were correct it does not work on the local, I forget not everyone is running in an enterprise environment, my bad.

EvilJenius, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Hyper-V & Win10 #2

1. Hyper-V & Win10 #2 - Similar Threads - Hyper Win10

2. KB5031356 breaks network for Hyper-V Win10 VMs on Server 2012

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5031356 breaks network for Hyper-V Win10 VMs on Server 2012: I am running a 2012 server. Hyper-V server with multiple Win10 Pro VMs. All was well until KB5031356 . This update breaks the network. TCP/IP doesn't work for the VMs. I can only access the VMs using VMC, and those VMs can't do anything without network access.Can't see...
  3. KB5031356 breaks network for Hyper-V Win10 VMs on Server 2012

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5031356 breaks network for Hyper-V Win10 VMs on Server 2012: I am running a 2012 server. Hyper-V server with multiple Win10 Pro VMs. All was well until KB5031356 . This update breaks the network. TCP/IP doesn't work for the VMs. I can only access the VMs using VMC, and those VMs can't do anything without network access.Can't see...
  4. KB5031356 breaks network for Hyper-V Win10 VMs on Server 2012

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is Hyper-V needed on a Win10 Home system?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is Hyper-V needed on a Win10 Home system?: I bought a manual for a product I have and it came as a VM Database which until a few months ago, worked as expected. Then, perhaps following a Win update when launched, I would get a msg saying VM is not compatible with HYPER_V and it would shut down the launch. I have...
  6. Hyper-V and Win10 Home

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hyper-V and Win10 Home: Hello - I need to use VMWare to access a database I have, but when I launch VM it tells me VM is not compatible with W10Home. When I first bought the database it came with VMWare and worked as instructed. I started getting an error when I launch VM and it will not open...
  7. Hyper V - Win10 Pro Installed - Blurred login screen.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper V - Win10 Pro Installed - Blurred login screen.: So new laptop, on Win10 Pro 20H2 (OS Build 19042.572) i am launching Win10 Pro in Hyper V, to its defaulted 'Enhanced Session' however it will only launch to a blurred login screen that will not allow me to enter any credentials. I am however able to login if i select 'Basic...
  8. Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016

Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016: I am having trouble moving a VM from windows 10 to Server 2016. I have updated Win 10 to 20H2 and applied all available windows updates. I created a VM on Win 10, exported it, and then copied to a server 2016 computer with Hyper-V installed but it does not present as...
  9. How to delete disk partition of Hyper-V that prevents me from bootimg Win10?

How to delete disk partition of Hyper-V that prevents me from bootimg Win10?: Hi. Using CMD or regedit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-disk-partition-of-hyper-v-that/b5bd632d-9422-4ffc-a79b-8d9012bf680a
  10. Win10 Pro, Hyper-V VMs not responding after disconnect

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Pro, Hyper-V VMs not responding after disconnect: Hi all, this is my first time posting here. I have a slightly unusual way of using my Win10 Professional PC: I have built VMs for individual scenarios (personal computing, professional work, my daughter's PC, etc.) and I have the main PC and all VMs running constantly. I...
Tags: