Windows 10: Hyper-V & Win10

Discus and support Hyper-V & Win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I decided to install Win10 in a Virtual Machine and settled on Hyper-V. I'm using the setup now to create this thread. There were a few hurdles to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Slartybart, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Hyper-V & Win10

I decided to install Win10 in a Virtual Machine and settled on Hyper-V.

I'm using the setup now to create this thread. There were a few hurdles to get over.

1) Hyper-V needed to be added to my Win8 install
    Program & Features-> Turn on Windows features->Hyper-V
    When things didn't work, I went back to P&F only to find that the platform option was inactive (greyed out)
    Some of Hyper-V installed (manager and config), but not the platform

This required a BIOS change (HP InsydeH2O BIOS is not always friendly)
    Searching didn't provide much help, so I took a gamble and enabled SVM - turns out that is Secure Virtual Machine
    - most results referred to Intel Virtual Technology (VTx) and pointed to BIOS system configuration - I have an AMD processor.

I was able to turn on the Hyper-V platform.

Building the VM wasn't all that difficult - you could use the express install, but I wanted to know more, so it was a custom setup.

The nice thing was you can install Win10 directly from the ISO file. There was a hiccup when I hit finish (before the install began). I changed boot from HDD (VHD) and it complained about no OS, so I went back to the DVD (vDVD) with the Win10 ISO mounted and the install began. It didn't take very long - maybe 45 minutes ... maybe.

I looked around a bit - not much different than 7 & 8 so the learning curve won't be too bad

Then I tried to connect.

Ok, this wasn't easy at first.

In Hyper-V Right click your local host (it was the physical machine's name in my case)
    select Virtual Switch Manager

Add an internal network
    Back to the physical machine
    Select properties of the vWLAN and change the adapter from Ethernet to Wireless
    Select both the vWLAN created in the Virtual Switch Manager with the physical Wireless adapter and right click
    Select Bridge from the alt menu
    this creates another entry in network
    Network Bridge with the physical adapter name (or unidentified network if inactive)

+editThis thread was written while I was trying to figure it out myself. The protocols installed were wrong for a VM switch function. It worked, but it was flaky - both bridge and the physical adapter had IP protocols and Attachment 5653the bridge I kludged did not have the Hyper-V protocols.

Setup up the network connections per Kari's tutorial. Create the Virtual Switch as an
    External switch

Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

Hyper-V & Win10 [​IMG]
    -edit

After that - I'm up and typing.

This is a pretty sweet Preview release. I haven't really played too hard, but it feels solid.

:)

Slartybart, Oct 2, 2014
  2. DAVIDOMNI Win User

Hyper-V causing boot loop in Windows 10 Pro x64

Thanks for noting, good to know the problem appears to be specific to our hardware & Win10’s version of Hyper-V! That’s exactly my system; EVGA X58 SLI, 24GB RAM & i7-920 which is now back on Win8.1 & Hyper-V… working normal.

DAVIDOMNI, Oct 2, 2014
  3. DAVIDOMNI Win User
    Hyper-V causing boot loop in Windows 10 Pro x64

Yep given most responses in this thread, seems that EVGA X58 Mobo (141-BL-E760-A1) running SLI and/or Intel i7 920 combo with Win10 Hyper-V breaks the build. I’ve rebuild back to 8.1 & all is well again with Hyper-V hosting 6 instances. Since Hyper-V &
    the hardware work rock solid on Win8.1, it appears MSFT has made changes to Win10’s Hyper-V, thus an update is needed or we’re stuck w/ 8.1. Amazing how a company worth some $300ish Billion can release a new product that breaks things which previously worked!
    Hyper-V & Win10 :mad:

DAVIDOMNI, Oct 2, 2014
  4. Ztruker Win User
    I can't get the internet connection to work. I'm using Ethernet rather than WLAN but all I get is Cable

Windows 8.1 Host

Hyper-V & Win10 [​IMG]

Windows 10 Client

Hyper-V & Win10 [​IMG]

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Never mind, figured it out. You left off a step where I had to go into the VM settings and connect the Network to the new Bridged one I just created. Did that and it works great.

Ztruker, Oct 7, 2014
  5. Kari Win User
    That's not a good way to do that, bridging an internal switch by yourself does not setup the bridge correctly.

This from the tutorial, discussion about this subject:

Internal switch is more secure because it has no Internet access, it can only communicate with the local network. A bridged internal switch is no longer internal switch.

As soon as you created the bridge, your internal switch became external. The setup you have now is an external switch setup, you are most definitely not using internal switch. This is important to understand so I repeat it: An internal switch is a switch which is connected to local network only but has no internet access. To connect to Internet you need to select an external switch. Bridging an internal switch will create a de facto external switch but can bring connectivity issues.

This from my tutorial at Eight Forums:

A Virtual Switch can be external, internal or private.
    • External Virtual Switch: will connect a vm to host NIC. If host NIC is connected to Internet through router, the vm is also connected to Internet. If host NIC (LAN) is not connected to router or if the router has no Internet access, the internal network will still work allowing computers (physical and vm) belonging to the same subnet and workgroup or domain to communicate with each other (file and media sharing etc.). When connecting external switch to host WLAN NIC, the vm loses all connectivity when WLAN is disabled or not connected on host.
    • Internal Virtual Switch: When a virtual NIC is connected to Internal VS it can communicate with other computers and vms on the same subnet but has no Internet access.
    • Private Virtual Switch: When a virtual NIC is connected to Private VS it can communicate with other vms on same Hyper-V server but cannot communicate with host PC nor has it Internet access. A Private vs is often needed when installing a legacy Linux or pre-XP Windows vm. After installation you need then to disable Private Switch and use Internal or External to connect to the network.
    In your case, to get rid of those minor issues, I would disconnect and delete the bridge, create an external switch and change settings for each of your virtual machines to set them use the external switch you created.

When you create an external switch assigning a WLAN adapter to it, Hyper-V takes care of creating the bridge with correct settings. Tutorial: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10. Written for Windows 10, works exactly the same way in Windows 8 & 8.1.

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Hyper-V & Win10

1. Hyper-V & Win10 - Similar Threads - Hyper Win10

2. KB5031356 breaks network for Hyper-V Win10 VMs on Server 2012

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5031356 breaks network for Hyper-V Win10 VMs on Server 2012: I am running a 2012 server. Hyper-V server with multiple Win10 Pro VMs. All was well until KB5031356 . This update breaks the network. TCP/IP doesn't work for the VMs. I can only access the VMs using VMC, and those VMs can't do anything without network access.Can't see...
  3. KB5031356 breaks network for Hyper-V Win10 VMs on Server 2012

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5031356 breaks network for Hyper-V Win10 VMs on Server 2012: I am running a 2012 server. Hyper-V server with multiple Win10 Pro VMs. All was well until KB5031356 . This update breaks the network. TCP/IP doesn't work for the VMs. I can only access the VMs using VMC, and those VMs can't do anything without network access.Can't see...
  4. KB5031356 breaks network for Hyper-V Win10 VMs on Server 2012

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is Hyper-V needed on a Win10 Home system?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is Hyper-V needed on a Win10 Home system?: I bought a manual for a product I have and it came as a VM Database which until a few months ago, worked as expected. Then, perhaps following a Win update when launched, I would get a msg saying VM is not compatible with HYPER_V and it would shut down the launch. I have...
  6. Hyper-V and Win10 Home

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hyper-V and Win10 Home: Hello - I need to use VMWare to access a database I have, but when I launch VM it tells me VM is not compatible with W10Home. When I first bought the database it came with VMWare and worked as instructed. I started getting an error when I launch VM and it will not open...
  7. Hyper V - Win10 Pro Installed - Blurred login screen.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper V - Win10 Pro Installed - Blurred login screen.: So new laptop, on Win10 Pro 20H2 (OS Build 19042.572) i am launching Win10 Pro in Hyper V, to its defaulted 'Enhanced Session' however it will only launch to a blurred login screen that will not allow me to enter any credentials. I am however able to login if i select 'Basic...
  8. Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016

Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016: I am having trouble moving a VM from windows 10 to Server 2016. I have updated Win 10 to 20H2 and applied all available windows updates. I created a VM on Win 10, exported it, and then copied to a server 2016 computer with Hyper-V installed but it does not present as...
  9. How to delete disk partition of Hyper-V that prevents me from bootimg Win10?

How to delete disk partition of Hyper-V that prevents me from bootimg Win10?: Hi. Using CMD or regedit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-disk-partition-of-hyper-v-that/b5bd632d-9422-4ffc-a79b-8d9012bf680a
  10. Win10 Pro, Hyper-V VMs not responding after disconnect

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Pro, Hyper-V VMs not responding after disconnect: Hi all, this is my first time posting here. I have a slightly unusual way of using my Win10 Professional PC: I have built VMs for individual scenarios (personal computing, professional work, my daughter's PC, etc.) and I have the main PC and all VMs running constantly. I...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper-v win10 1809 not working

2. add hyper-v win10

3. win10 pro bridge vm to network