Windows 10: HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 cannot update

Discus and support HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 cannot update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been running Ubuntu 18.04 on Windows 10 (64bit 1903 fully patched) without problems, save that any attempt to update to 19.04 fails - crashes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pino-55, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Pino-55 Win User

HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 cannot update

I have been running Ubuntu 18.04 on Windows 10 (64bit 1903 fully patched) without problems, save that any attempt to update to 19.04 fails - crashes after Fetching completed

; > doPostInitialUpdate

; > quirks: running discoPostInitialUpdate

; > running Quirks.discoPostInitialUpdate

: > abort called

Ubuntu is desktop version and was installed from iso image.

Any suggestions as how I can update / find out where the problem lies?

I have posted this on ubuntu forums but so far no answers. I know I can install a 19.04 VM from scratch, but I would prefer to update if possible.

:)

Pino-55, Oct 9, 2019
  2. Cliff S Win User

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

Well Martin I finally got around to giving it a try.
    And.....

If everyone just follows your instructions "step by step" exactly....
    it works perfectly!!!*Party

I now have 4k Ubuntu in Hyper-V
    HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 cannot update [​IMG]

ThanksHYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 cannot update :)
    1080p
    (click to enlarge)

4K*Party*Party*Party(change to 200%)
    (click to enlarge)

Cliff S, Oct 9, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User
    Microsoft to make Ubuntu 18.04 a First class VM with HYPER-V

This link has more details (steps to do it are for version 16.04 - 18.04 is slightly easier)

Here is how to do it for 18.04. Works on SCU

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V - Windows 10 Forums

NOTE: 18.04 is not yet officially issued for a couple of week or so. Above guide uses the daily prerelease builds.

cereberus, Oct 9, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

That looks really cool. I am glad it worked ok. I had guide working for a pre-release of 18.04 but something changed on release version, and it fell over.

Others on github site had same issue and eventually a user posted a solution (commenting out two lines in install.sh) and I got guide working.

Interestingly, one of the guys there linked to my guide, presumably as it is more upto date than original 16.04 guide -LOL!

I also get that error message (partly hidden in second screen shot) but I dismiss it and nothing seems to be affected.

cereberus, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

1. HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 cannot update - Similar Threads - HYPER Ubuntu cannot

2. Cannot Uninstall Hyper-V on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Uninstall Hyper-V on Windows 10: I just upgraded my laptop to a Lenovo Thinkpad with a 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7 processor. It is running Windows 10 Enterprise with the 19022.1766 build. I cannot remove Hyper-V from this laptop. I have turned it off through the features as well as anything related to...
  3. Cannot Uninstall Hyper-V on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Uninstall Hyper-V on Windows 10: I just upgraded my laptop to a Lenovo Thinkpad with a 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7 processor. It is running Windows 10 Enterprise with the 19022.1766 build. I cannot remove Hyper-V from this laptop. I have turned it off through the features as well as anything related to...
  4. How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V: It is possible to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V. See mini guide I have written in elevenforum.com How to get sound on Ubuntu in Hyper-V | Windows 11 Forum 183275
  5. Help with Hyper-v and static IP on Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with Hyper-v and static IP on Ubuntu: I already quit trying to use a bridge and now letting the DHCP supply the IP, but everytime I boot the machine the DHCP gives me a new IP. Is possible to "fix" this random range or is there any real way to make it get fixed? The virtual switch configuration dont presents any...
  6. Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error: I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 9550, 6700HQ, W10P, 16Gig, non-touch, refurb computer. I re-partitioned the SSD drive, creating among other things drive 'R' of about 97 Gig. R was not reformatted - it is NTFS. Using another computer, I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.LTS ISO...
  7. Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image

Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image: Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image as a .WIM within SCCM. So here's a breakdown of the situation: - I need Ubuntu to be installed as a VM on several Windows machines e.g. approximately 90-110 Desktops. - I've used Virtualbox previously...
  8. Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v

Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v: I am trying to install Ubuntu 1704 through Hyper V. It seems to go easily until I select the command to go ahead and install Ubuntu. Then things go wrong. I get the following error messages as shown in the attachment. It says that file...
  9. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v: Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed....
  10. Windows 10 and Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 and Hyper-V: I tried to install the preview as a virtual machine and everything went fine until after a reboot following the download and installation of the updates. Both 8.1 & 10 locked up with a strange crackling noise through the speakers every few seconds. One good thing about a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I cannot update ubuntu in a VM