Windows 10: HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 folder sharing problem

Discus and support HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 folder sharing problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been running Ubuntu 18.04 on Windows 10 (64bit 1903 fully patched) without problems. In order to expand storage independently of the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pino-55, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Pino-55 Win User

HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 folder sharing problem

I have been running Ubuntu 18.04 on Windows 10 (64bit 1903 fully patched) without problems. In order to expand storage independently of the system disk, I have added a second virtual Hard Drive on the SCSI controller.

I have created a new partition (ext4) and set this to auto-mount at the same time as the main VM. I have created new folders on the virtual HD and set one of these to share. Looking from inside the VM, the new Shared folder has the same settings (ownership & permissions) as the existing shared folders on main virtual machine (e.g. Documents and Downloads) and I can also see the Share name if I browse my Network in File Explorer.

However, while any Share on the main VM is accessible from the host system, the share on the new virtual HD is not:

Windows cannot access \\Ubuntu\Shared

You do not have permission to access \\Ubuntu\Shared. Contact your network administrator to request access.

If I look at the properties - Security tab for a working share I see

HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 folder sharing problem da0a6d89-ebd6-40cd-8ed3-92b1f0b40fa3?upload=true.jpg where martin (Unix User\martin) is also the owner

but on any share on the HDD I just get

HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 folder sharing problem e74b2703-0204-408e-847b-a0d49f7e8d02?upload=true.jpg

And if I go to advanced "Unable to display current owner" and Change does allow any new owner to be found/ set.

Is it possible to access a VM share if it is not on the main drive of the VM?

If it is how and where do I need to set the permissions?

:)

Pino-55, Oct 9, 2019
  2. Cliff S Win User

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

Well Martin I finally got around to giving it a try.
    And.....

If everyone just follows your instructions "step by step" exactly....
    it works perfectly!!!*Party

I now have 4k Ubuntu in Hyper-V
    HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 folder sharing problem [​IMG]

ThanksHYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 folder sharing problem :)
    1080p
    (click to enlarge)

4K*Party*Party*Party(change to 200%)
    (click to enlarge)

Cliff S, Oct 9, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User
    Microsoft to make Ubuntu 18.04 a First class VM with HYPER-V

This link has more details (steps to do it are for version 16.04 - 18.04 is slightly easier)

Here is how to do it for 18.04. Works on SCU

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V - Windows 10 Forums

NOTE: 18.04 is not yet officially issued for a couple of week or so. Above guide uses the daily prerelease builds.

cereberus, Oct 9, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

That looks really cool. I am glad it worked ok. I had guide working for a pre-release of 18.04 but something changed on release version, and it fell over.

Others on github site had same issue and eventually a user posted a solution (commenting out two lines in install.sh) and I got guide working.

Interestingly, one of the guys there linked to my guide, presumably as it is more upto date than original 16.04 guide -LOL!

I also get that error message (partly hidden in second screen shot) but I dismiss it and nothing seems to be affected.

cereberus, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

1. HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 folder sharing problem - Similar Threads - HYPER Ubuntu folder

2. Hyper-V problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V problem: I am getting an error generic failure message when trying to open Hyper-V Quick Create. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-problem/bd928ba4-fe6f-411f-b921-c87d987e5b4e
  3. HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 cannot update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 cannot update: I have been running Ubuntu 18.04 on Windows 10 (64bit 1903 fully patched) without problems, save that any attempt to update to 19.04 fails - crashes after Fetching completed ; > doPostInitialUpdate ; > quirks: running discoPostInitialUpdate ; > running...
  4. Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder.: Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder. Clicking OneDrive doesn't give a OneDrive folder. 111321
  5. Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V

Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V: I'm running Windows XP on Windows 10 with Hyper-V. How do I share files between XP and the c drive on my physical computer? This was so easy with VPC 2007. 29817
  6. Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error: I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 9550, 6700HQ, W10P, 16Gig, non-touch, refurb computer. I re-partitioned the SSD drive, creating among other things drive 'R' of about 97 Gig. R was not reformatted - it is NTFS. Using another computer, I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.LTS ISO...
  7. Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image

Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image: Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image as a .WIM within SCCM. So here's a breakdown of the situation: - I need Ubuntu to be installed as a VM on several Windows machines e.g. approximately 90-110 Desktops. - I've used Virtualbox previously...
  8. Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v

Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v: I am trying to install Ubuntu 1704 through Hyper V. It seems to go easily until I select the command to go ahead and install Ubuntu. Then things go wrong. I get the following error messages as shown in the attachment. It says that file...
  9. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v: Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed....
  10. Windows 10 and Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 and Hyper-V: I tried to install the preview as a virtual machine and everything went fine until after a reboot following the download and installation of the updates. Both 8.1 & 10 locked up with a strange crackling noise through the speakers every few seconds. One good thing about a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ubuntu vm hyperv access folders