Windows 10: HYPER V with minimum GUI or even just a CLI

Discus and support HYPER V with minimum GUI or even just a CLI in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi HYPER-V gurus I'm looking at running a few VM's from an almost "Server" like system -- I obviously don't want to shell out big $$$$'s for Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER V with minimum GUI or even just a CLI

Hi HYPER-V gurus

I'm looking at running a few VM's from an almost "Server" like system -- I obviously don't want to shell out big $$$$'s for Windows SERVER and it in any case would be overkill for what I want to try out.

Is it possible using Windows 10 Pro to re-install it with basically just the Hypervisor content - or is there a version of Windows that is just basically the Hypervisor from which I can then create my VM's.

Something akin to VMware's ESXi is what I would be looking for. Minimal Host OS overhead. Creating the VM's should be ok if I can get the hypervisor up and running without the other Windows overhead -- I really just need a command line interface to power on and off the VM's. I don't mind if I have to edit the config files for the VM's using another system - in any case I would be logging on to the VM's from different computers rather than the Host machine (running the Hypervisor).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018

2. Hyper-V causing boot loop in Windows 10 Pro x64

After upgrading to Windows 10 x64 Pro from Windows 10 Home to x64 Professional and activating Hyper-V in Windows 10 x64 Pro my computer reboots. After a couple of tries it goes in automatic repair and attempts to repair the startup. This cycle just repeats
    itself. I tried many combinations of things in the bios, shutting down, nothing has worked.

The only way I found to bring out of the loop is re-install windows

So I re installed Windows 10 Pro and activated Hyper-V and same reboot loop occurs.

So re-installed a second time then I found the cure.

The cure is to enable Hyper V from Power Shell , once I did this the pc restarted a couple of times, and everything back to normal hyper v working .

CLI command to enable

CLI command to disable

BryanMckinny, Apr 4, 2018
  3. Hyper-V Manager is missing or not working in Windows 10 Pro

I installed Hyper-V in Programs and Features Screenshot

After computer restart in Hyper-V manager i see Screenshot

I can't add or manage VMs in GUI mode

Here is services, associated with Hyper-V Screenshot

Please tell me how to fix it.

Thanks!

Igor Koltun, Apr 4, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
  5. Kari Win User
    Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 would be exactly what you need. Free download: Microsoft Evaluation Center

Notice that although it is a so called evaluation version, the evaluation time is unlimited; once installed, it is free to use rest of your life *Wink

HYPER V with minimum GUI or even just a CLI [​IMG]

To get started, read this article at Microsoft Docs: Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 | Microsoft Docs

Quote from above mentioned article:

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks.

just trying to start with it now -- I'll test it with a "mickey mouse" vm just to see if I can boot an OS and then start playing around with the hardware.

Looks a bit of fun to do this -- not doing any "Real work" for the rest of this week !! and a bit too cold to go out even to the pub !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
  7. cereberus Win User
    Never too cold to go to pub, only too cold to go home :-D

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
  8. Kari Win User

My local pub is a mystery. I mean, I cannot understand why it only takes me 5 minutes to walk there, but walking back home takes an hour or more.

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
  9. cereberus Win User
    It is fractal mechanics. When sober, you only follow the primary fractal line. The more inebriated, the more you follow a secondary, tertiary fractal route. Eventually, the fractal routes are infinite :-D.

See the Koch Curve example.

You will see the distance beteen two points forever increases

Fractal - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
  10. Kari Win User
    Are you suggesting I might be intoxicated when coming back home? Outrageous!

*Wink

11. cereberus Win User
    Shame on me. I forget some people are intoxicated on way to pub :-D.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @lx07

Thanks for your reply and code -- very helpful but :

Wifi isn't an issue for me at all on the VM's as I connect the server via a LAN cable to a 1 Gb/s switch. I then have another short piece of Lan cable from the switch that plugs into a Netgear Nighthawk ex700 5 port wifi extender which give perfectly good speed on wifi and I can access the VM's by wifi. The extender connects to the router in the usual way.

The server has 2 good 10 Gb/s ethernet connections (would be nice to get that speed !!!)

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

almost correct but sometimes the wind here would challenge even the hardiest person -- and (I 100% concur) drink driving limit here (as in all the Nordic countries)is a strict ZERO !!! and on our roads outside the capital it's bad enough even in decent weather. !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
  14. lx07 Win User
    If you turn on Hyper-V your Windows is already running as a VM - that is how it works.

If you want to run the free Hyper-V server then you can but you will run immediately into some problems. Firstly you don't get a free license for any VM. Next it is command line only. Next you can not add Wi-Fi or Bluetooth or anything. So none of your VMs will be able to see these things. Even if you have a license for Windows 10 Pro it will not work well if you have decided your underlying hypervisor doesn't have access to any of this.

You would probably be better off running 10 Pro (or Enterprise or Server) as the host.

You can add things to the free Hyper-V server but it is hard work - similar to adding things to PE. You need to add registry entries and then import various mum from current (LTSB 2016 at the moment) version.

I added Wi-Fi if you are interested a couple of releases ago - here it is: Code: # Registry Changes reg load HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM $WorkDir\mount\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM reg load HKLM\WinPE_SOFTWARE $WorkDir\mount\windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NetSh" reg add $RegKey /v wlancfg /t REG_SZ /d wlancfg.dll /f $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost" reg add $RegKey /v LocalSystemNetworkRestricted /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d Netman\0hidserv\0svsvc\0dot3svc\0wlansvc /f # wlansvc reg add HKLM\WinPE_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WlanSvc\bmr /ve $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WlanSvc\PowerProfiles\ClassAC" reg add $RegKey /v PowerIdle /t REG_DWORD /d 15 # numbers are decimal reg add $RegKey /v PowerTail /t REG_DWORD /d 280 reg add $RegKey /v PowerTxRx /t REG_DWORD /d 400 reg add $RegKey /v TailDuration /t REG_DWORD /d 300 $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WlanSvc\PowerProfiles\ClassB" reg add $RegKey /v PowerIdle /t REG_DWORD /d 15 reg add $RegKey /v PowerTail /t REG_DWORD /d 280 reg add $RegKey /v PowerTxRx /t REG_DWORD /d 400 reg add $RegKey /v TailDuration /t REG_DWORD /d 300 $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WlanSvc\PowerProfiles\ClassG" reg add $RegKey /v PowerIdle /t REG_DWORD /d 15 reg add $RegKey /v PowerTail /t REG_DWORD /d 280 reg add $RegKey /v PowerTxRx /t REG_DWORD /d 400 reg add $RegKey /v TailDuration /t REG_DWORD /d 300 $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WlanSvc\PowerProfiles\ClassN" reg add $RegKey /v PowerIdle /t REG_DWORD /d 15 reg add $RegKey /v PowerTail /t REG_DWORD /d 280 reg add $RegKey /v PowerTxRx /t REG_DWORD /d 400 reg add $RegKey /v TailDuration /t REG_DWORD /d 300 $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\WlanSvc" reg add $RegKey /v DisplayName /d "@%SystemRoot%\System32\wlansvc.dll,-257" reg add $RegKey /v ErrorControl /t REG_DWORD /d 1 reg add $RegKey /v Group /d TDI reg add $RegKey /v ImagePath /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted" reg add $RegKey /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 2 # (automatic start) in clean install system this is 3(manual start) reg add $RegKey /v Type /t REG_DWORD /d 32 reg add $RegKey /v Description /d "@%SystemRoot%\System32\wlansvc.dll,-258" # Remove the Windows Connection Manager (wcmsvc) service dependany reg add $RegKey /v DependOnService /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d nativewifip\0RpcSs\0Ndisuio reg add $RegKey /v ObjectName /d LocalSystem reg add $RegKey /v ServiceSidType /t REG_DWORD /d 1 reg add $RegKey /v RequiredPrivileges /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "SeChangeNotifyPrivilege\0SeImpersonatePrivilege\0SeAuditPrivilege\0SeTcbPrivilege\0SeDebugPrivilege" reg add $RegKey /v FailureActions /t REG_BINARY /d 805101000000000000000000030000001400000001000000c0d4010001000000e09304000000000000000000 $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\WlanSvc\Parameters" reg add $RegKey /v ServiceDll /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%SystemRoot%\System32\wlansvc.dll" reg add $RegKey /v ServiceDllUnloadOnStop /t REG_DWORD /d 1 reg add $RegKey /v ServiceMain /d WlanSvcMain $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\WlanSvc\Parameters\ComInterfaceProviders" reg add $RegKey /v IHNetIcsSettings /d "{46C166AA-3108-11D4-9348-00C04F8EEB71}" $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\WlanSvc\Parameters\EapolKeyIpAddress" reg add $RegKey /v LocalAddress /d "192.168.173.1" reg add $RegKey /v PrefixLength /t REG_DWORD /d 24 $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\WlanSvc\Parameters\OEM\SystemCapabilities" reg add $RegKey /ve #***************** no value $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\WlanSvc\Parameters\OneXAuthenticator" reg add $RegKey /ve /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%SystemRoot%\System32\WcnEapAuthProxy.dll" $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\WlanSvc\Parameters\VendorSpecificIEProviders\02166b50-0459-44d9-9ec1-073431b7d9c9" reg add $RegKey /v Path /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\TetheringIeProvider.dll" $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\WlanSvc\Parameters\VendorSpecificIEProviders\4D50EE01-EEE0-4E5D-9A41-2F5F32044192" reg add $RegKey /v Path /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WlanSvc.dll" $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\WlanSvc\Parameters\VendorSpecificIEProviders\B7D94B4D-5DB1-4E70-B5C3-DD003EEEBE66" reg add $RegKey /v Path /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WiFiDisplay.dll" $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\WlanSvc\Parameters\WFDProvPlugin" reg add $RegKey /ve /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%SystemRoot%\System32\wfdprov.dll" reg add $RegKey /v DllEntryPoint /d WFDProvGetInfo $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\WlanSvc\Security" reg add $RegKey /v Security /t REG_BINARY /d 0100048098000000a40000000000000014000000020084000500000000001400fd01020001010000000000051200000000001800ff010f0001020000000000052000000020020000000014008d010200010100000000000504000000000014008d01020001010000000000050600000000002800700000000106000000000005500000002e25d9e85a67cd58c504f3dc32c0cb09ab704571010100000000000512000000010100000000000512000000 $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\WlanSvc\VirtualizationManager" reg add $RegKey /v WindowsPushNotificationPlatformClsid /d "0C9281F9-6DA1-4006-8729-DE6E6B61581C" # Native Wifi Filter (dependancy of wlansvc) $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\NativeWifiP" reg add $RegKey /v DisplayName /d "@%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\nwifi.sys,-101" reg add $RegKey /v ErrorControl /t REG_DWORD /d 1 reg add $RegKey /v Group /d NDIS reg add $RegKey /v ImagePath /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "system32\DRIVERS\nwifi.sys" reg add $RegKey /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 3 reg add $RegKey /v Type /t REG_DWORD /d 1 # vwififlt $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\vwififlt" reg add $RegKey /v DisplayName /d "@%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\vwififlt.sys,-259" reg add $RegKey /v ErrorControl /t REG_DWORD /d 1 reg add $RegKey /v Group /d NDIS reg add $RegKey /v ImagePath /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "System32\drivers\vwififlt.sys" reg add $RegKey /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 1 reg add $RegKey /v Type /t REG_DWORD /d 1 reg add $RegKey /v Description /d "@%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\vwififlt.sys,-260" reg add $RegKey /v NdisMajorVersion /t REG_DWORD /d 6 reg add $RegKey /v NdisMinorVersion /t REG_DWORD /d 50 reg add $RegKey /v DriverMajorVersion /t REG_DWORD /d 1 reg add $RegKey /v DriverMinorVersion /t REG_DWORD /d 0 $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\vwififlt\Parameters" reg add $RegKey /v DefaultFilterSettings /t REG_DWORD /d 1 # vwifimp not in core image #$RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\vwifimp" #reg add $RegKey /v Type /t REG_DWORD /d 1 #reg add $RegKey /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 3 #reg add $RegKey /v ErrorControl /t REG_DWORD /d 1 #reg add $RegKey /v Tag /t REG_DWORD /d 15 #reg add $RegKey /v ImagePath /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vwifimp.sys" #reg add $RegKey /v DisplayName /d "@%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\vwifimp.sys,-261" #reg add $RegKey /v Group /d NDIS #reg add $RegKey /v Owners /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "netvwifimp.inf" #reg add $RegKey /v TextModeFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 1 #reg add $RegKey /v NdisMajorVersion /t REG_DWORD /d 6 #reg add $RegKey /v NdisMinorVersion /t REG_DWORD /d 40 #reg add $RegKey /v DriverMajorVersion /t REG_DWORD /d 1 #reg add $RegKey /v DriverMinorVersion /t REG_DWORD /d 1 #$RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\vwififlt\Enum" #reg add $RegKey /v Count /t REG_DWORD /d 1 #reg add $RegKey /v NextInstancet /t REG_DWORD /d 1 #reg add $RegKey /v 0 /d "{5d624f94-8850-40c3-a3fa-a4fd2080baf3}\vwifimp_wfd\5&e58d9b&0&01" # WdiWifi $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\wdiwifi" reg add $RegKey /v DisplayName /d "WDI Driver Framework" reg add $RegKey /v ErrorControl /t REG_DWORD /d 1 reg add $RegKey /v ImagePath /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "system32\DRIVERS\wdiwifi.sys" reg add $RegKey /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 3 reg add $RegKey /v Type /t REG_DWORD /d 1 # legacy WiFi adapter - recommended by Unified Windows PE 3.1 builder script for WAIK, with wifi and EFI support $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_WLANSVC" reg add $RegKey /v NextInstance /t REG_DWORD /d 1 # numbers are decimal reg add $RegKey\0000 /v Service /t REG_SZ /d Wlansvc reg add $RegKey\0000 /v Legacy /t REG_DWORD /d 1 reg add $RegKey\0000 /v ConfigFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 0 reg add $RegKey\0000 /v Class /t REG_SZ /d LegacyDriver reg add $RegKey\0000 /v ClassGUID /t REG_SZ /d "{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}" reg add $RegKey\0000 /v DeviceDesc /t REG_SZ /d "@%SystemRoot%\System32\wlansvc.dll,-257" $RegKey="HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\WlanSvc\Enum" reg add $RegKey /v 0 /t REG_SZ /d "Root\LEGACY_WLANSVC\0000" reg add $RegKey /v Count /t REG_DWORD /d 1 reg add $RegKey /v NextInstance /t REG_DWORD /d 1 reg unload HKLM\WinPE_SYSTEM reg unload HKLM\WinPE_SOFTWARE[/quote] Not saying it can't be done but it isn't trivial.

Thema:

1. HYPER V with minimum GUI or even just a CLI - Similar Threads - HYPER minimum GUI

2. Disabled Hyper-V but Hyper-V is still there

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabled Hyper-V but Hyper-V is still there: I disabled Hyper-V using the optional features and restarted my computer, but when I run msinfo32.exe, it still says there is Hyper-V:How can I disable Hyper-V?...
  3. Hyper-V networking just not happening.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V networking just not happening.: I need to get some hyper-v guests set up so I can increase my KMS licence count and get that kicking along. No problem. I download the ISO - set up a windows 10 template. I then shut it down and copy it 5 times - create 5 new VMs with those disks and bring them up one at a...
  4. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  5. Hyper-V Resizeable Windows

Hyper-V Resizeable Windows: For those unaware, you can now resize your Hyper-V windows "on the fly" (enhanced mode at least) . Previously, you had to do it via config files before you started vm up. Now you do not have to scroll or go to fullscreen mode to get to task bar. Makes it much better...
  6. Clarification on Hyper-V

Clarification on Hyper-V: I see that Windows 10 Pro includes Hyper-V. If enabled, would this work on a client system much the same way as VMWare Player, VirtualBox, etc? I'm very familiar with both of those hypervisors, but have never used the Microsoft offering, and I'm just looking for...
  7. Hyper-V no sound

Hyper-V no sound: Is there anyway to get sound with the various VM's that I have created in Hyper-V ? I am currently using it in 8.1 Pro. Larry 4927
  8. Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I cannot create a Virtual switch when using Hyper-V get this error message: [img] I am using a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and running Hyper-V with Admin Privleges. Laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio i7 with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 pro. Thanks...
  9. Audio in hyper-v

Audio in hyper-v: So how do I get my headset which is usb to work in hyper-v? 5735
  10. Hyper-V & Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hyper-V & Win10: I decided to install Win10 in a Virtual Machine and settled on Hyper-V. I'm using the setup now to create this thread. There were a few hurdles to get over. 1) Hyper-V needed to be added to my Win8 install Program & Features-> Turn on Windows features->Hyper-V When...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reg configflags volume in windows10