Windows 10: Hyper-V Zombie Ubuntu Can't Delete or Remove

Discus and support Hyper-V Zombie Ubuntu Can't Delete or Remove in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I am new with Hyper-V, I've been using it to learn Linux/Ubuntu. I recently built a new Desktop, installed a Ryzen 7 with 8 cores and 32 Gb RAM.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by K E Decilon, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Hyper-V Zombie Ubuntu Can't Delete or Remove

I am new with Hyper-V, I've been using it to learn Linux/Ubuntu.

I recently built a new Desktop, installed a Ryzen 7 with 8 cores and 32 Gb RAM. Hyper-V allows me to try different installations without wrestling with the old hardware I had been using.

The latest installation ran into a problem. Google brought me here, this seems to be the only major support forum where I can find discussion about Hyper-V. I would appreciate any help.

I have spent a day searching the threads, and spent a couple hours reading some of the tutorials.

Here is the problem. After a reboot a couple of days ago, I opened the Hyper-V manager and tried to connect to the Ubuntu 18.04.1 that I installed with the Quick Create option. The initial black screen has the message "The virtual machine 'Ubuntu 18.04.1LTS' is starting...".

That's it. Through many reboots, that is as far as the Ubuntu boot up goes. So I decided to take advantage of the other great option of Hyper-V, and simply delete the virtual machine and start over. I soon find that the Hyper-V management console can't help. There is no option to delete the vm, and apparently nothing I can do with Windows 10 or Hyper-V is able to prevent it from trying to start.

Google brought me here, and I read through some of the tutorials. PowerShell looked promising, I started it in Administrator mode, and tried the commands --
    Remove-VM 'Ubuntu 18.04.1LTS'
    Stop-VM 'Ubuntu 18.04.1LTS'

Both commands give me the same error --
    Remove-VM : Deleting 'Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS' failed.
    The operation cannot be performed while the object is in its current state.

On the management console, I can "Stop Service".
    I then tried Powershell "Remove VM" again, and got the same error message.

Does anyone here know of any other method to shut down and/or delete the borked vm?

I have not tried to go to Control Panel -> Windows Options and remove Hyper-V completely from there. If I do that, and reboot the Computer, then re-activate Hyper-V, will that get rid of the zombie Ubuntu?

I would appreciate any help

:)

K E Decilon, Apr 15, 2019

2. Hyper-V

Hi Njha98,

You can remove Hyper-V by going to the control panel > add and remove programs > turn windows features on or off > and in the list there you should see Hyper-V

remove the checkbox and this will remove hyper-v

you may need to reboot

Jordan Langford, Apr 15, 2019
  3. Hyper-V new 'Quick Create' Ubuntu 18.04.01 LTS errors on boot

After enabling Hyper-V in Windows 10 Pro and following the 'Quick Create' type wizard in Hyper-V to create a Ubuntu 18.04.01 LTS virtual machine, Hyper-V encounters the following two errors when trying to boot this virtual machine.

This is following the completion of the 'Quick Create' wizard to establish the Hyper-V settings for this particular virtual machine.

When starting this virtual machine the window that this is occurring in displays the following two errors:

• Spectre V2: Spectre mitigation LFENCE not serializing, switching to generic retpoline.
    • PCI: Fatal: No config space function found.

This results in the Ubuntu boot up failing and falling back to the Linux Grub menu.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64bit, version 1809 on a HP EliteBook 745 G5 notebook which uses an AMD Ryzen 5 2500u CPU.

Any help much appreciated.

SpaceHopperUK, Apr 15, 2019
  4. Cliff S Win User

Hyper-V Zombie Ubuntu Can't Delete or Remove

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

Well Martin I finally got around to giving it a try.
    And.....

If everyone just follows your instructions "step by step" exactly....
    it works perfectly!!!*Party

I now have 4k Ubuntu in Hyper-V
    Hyper-V Zombie Ubuntu Can't Delete or Remove [​IMG]

ThanksHyper-V Zombie Ubuntu Can't Delete or Remove :)
    1080p
    (click to enlarge)

4K*Party*Party*Party(change to 200%)
    (click to enlarge)

Cliff S, Apr 15, 2019
Thema:

Hyper-V Zombie Ubuntu Can't Delete or Remove

1. Hyper-V Zombie Ubuntu Can't Delete or Remove - Similar Threads - Hyper Zombie Ubuntu

2. How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V: It is possible to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V. See mini guide I have written in elevenforum.com How to get sound on Ubuntu in Hyper-V | Windows 11 Forum 183275
  3. Help with Hyper-v and static IP on Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with Hyper-v and static IP on Ubuntu: I already quit trying to use a bridge and now letting the DHCP supply the IP, but everytime I boot the machine the DHCP gives me a new IP. Is possible to "fix" this random range or is there any real way to make it get fixed? The virtual switch configuration dont presents any...
  4. Can't disable/delete Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't disable/delete Hyper-V: So, today I was installing Bluestacks, which needs Hyper-V to NOT be active/running. It says I have Hyper-V on, but I don't! I even run commands to disable it, but it didn't work. Or, I don't know, in Control Panel Hyper-V is unchecked. But every single app there needs...
  5. Hyper-V Hypervisor not running - can't remove Hyper-V feature

Hyper-V Hypervisor not running - can't remove Hyper-V feature: I am using Windows 10 Insider Preview 11082 (upgraded from Windows 1151 fully updated. I had installed the Hyper-V feature in the latest Windows 1151 but had not used it before I received and installer the Insider Preview edition. The Hyper-V Manager was configured OK...
  6. Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error: I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 9550, 6700HQ, W10P, 16Gig, non-touch, refurb computer. I re-partitioned the SSD drive, creating among other things drive 'R' of about 97 Gig. R was not reformatted - it is NTFS. Using another computer, I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.LTS ISO...
  7. Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image

Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image: Help with Installing Ubuntu VM in Hyper-v and creating an image as a .WIM within SCCM. So here's a breakdown of the situation: - I need Ubuntu to be installed as a VM on several Windows machines e.g. approximately 90-110 Desktops. - I've used Virtualbox previously...
  8. A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V: Here is a quick guide how to run ubuntu 18.04 in enhance mode in Hyper-V. EDIT: This is not working on release version! Something has changed. I see it has been reported - I guess we need to wait. Please guys, do not add any comments about Virtualbox or VMware being...
  9. Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v

Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v: I am trying to install Ubuntu 1704 through Hyper V. It seems to go easily until I select the command to go ahead and install Ubuntu. Then things go wrong. I get the following error messages as shown in the attachment. It says that file...
  10. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v: Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed....