Windows 10: Hyper V

Discus and support Hyper V in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Yesterday I decided to see if Hyper V worked on my windows 10 pro (build 10240). Having never used it before i looked on the internet for it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Nickynoo, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Nickynoo Win User

Hyper V

Yesterday I decided to see if Hyper V worked on my windows 10 pro (build 10240).

Having never used it before i looked on the internet for it and eventually found out that it is included in windows 10 and that I didnt need to download it. Well I think I dont need to download it. Anyway I found out I needed to go to the Windows Features section in the add/remove programs to enable it. I opened the Windows Features, found the feature I wanted to enable, screenshot attached. I enable Hyper V Management Tools, The progress indicator (green progress bar) said it was applying my changes, then I thought that this is strange because it didnt ask me to restart - I remember from other times Ive used it, I have always had to restart (Ive never used it in windows 10 but in other operating systems). I also thought that the option for Hyper V platform is probably the one that I needed so I enabled that one, it would not let me click in the box next to hyper v platform, I had to first open the option with the + sign but I could only choose Hyper V Services and not Hyper V Hypervisor because it was greyed out.(?) I though that strange because it seemed like the Hyper V virtual machine was what I needed. After I clicked the green bar returned and then I was asked to restart my pc. I let it restart and went away from my laptop for a few minutes. When I came back the laptop screen was black and there was a mouse pointer on it. I waited a while and then when nothing happened for about 10 minutes I pressed CTRL ALT DEL (hoping that it would work), all of a sudden the screen came alive (no text in the centre) with the spinning balls. This lasted a few minutes and then the screen went black again, I waited about 5 minutes and then pressed CTRL ALT DEL again, again the spinning dots and then blackness, I pulled my laptop battery out and started the laptop with the power button. It r\took a few minutes, saying something about enabling features, during this time I decided that I was going to turn off the Hyper V options I had chosen. When I had logged in I went to the windows features and unenabled Hyper V and then restarted, The computer started normally after enabling (disabling I assume) features.

Tonight I switched on my laptop and got a BSOD caused by DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION - I looked it up on the internet and it seems that it is to do with fast start up, the article I found said to disable fast start up but I left it enabled because I dont remember an issue with DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION ever happening before.

On a side note - Im on the slow ring for insider builds, currently on 10240, when is a new build going to happen for us slow ring users?

Nick

:)

Nickynoo, Sep 30, 2015

2. Since Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) - Constant High CPU Usage from System, ICS, Firewall, CoreMessaging and Filter Motor

Folks i had te same issue, solved by removing Hyper-V feature.

Remove Hyper-V Feature.

Remove Hyper-V Feature.

Remove Hyper-V Feature.

Remove Hyper-V Feature.

Remove Hyper-V Feature.

Remove Hyper-V Feature.

Roberto Rodrigues, Sep 30, 2015
  3. shadowynd Win User
    Hyper-V on Windows Home Edition?

In my "Services (Local)", the following are listed:

Hyper-V Data Exchange Service

Hyper-V Guest Service Interface

Hyper-V Guest Shutdown Service

Hyper-V Heartbeat Service

Hyper-V Remote Desktop Virtualization Service

Hyper-V Time Synchronization Service

Hyper-V VM Session Service

Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor

Since Hyper V isn't supposed to be on Windows 10 Home, I'm wondering what's going on and why it is in my Services. Are there any other services which would appear in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise or Education that shouldn't appear in Windows 10 Home Services?

Thanks!

shadowynd, Sep 30, 2015
  4. rfruth Win User

Hyper V

My HP desktop doesn't seem to support hyper-v in UEFI even though I have VTx enabled in the BIOS *Eek

rfruth, Sep 30, 2015
Thema:

Hyper V

1. Hyper V - Similar Threads - Hyper

2. Hyper-V Ubuntu virtual machine change resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V Ubuntu virtual machine change resolution: How to change the resolution of a Ubuntu VM in Hyper-V?In Ubuntu’s settings -> display -> resolution, there isn’t the drop-down menu for resolution. Enhanced session cannot be enabled for some reason. So how to change the resolution? The default is quite small...
  3. Hyper-V Ubuntu virtual machine change resolution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V Ubuntu virtual machine change resolution: How to change the resolution of a Ubuntu VM in Hyper-V?In Ubuntu’s settings -> display -> resolution, there isn’t the drop-down menu for resolution. Enhanced session cannot be enabled for some reason. So how to change the resolution? The default is quite small...
  4. Hyper V and child account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V and child account: I want my child to launch Hyper V without the UAC window popping up asking for the Administrator Password/PINIn my account, Hyper V launches without UAC prompt, but anything I trie for the child account WIndows always asks for the Administrator PINSetup:WIndows 10:2 accounts....
  5. Hyper V and child account

Hyper V and child account: I want my child to launch Hyper V without the UAC window popping up asking for the Administrator Password/PINIn my account, Hyper V launches without UAC prompt, but anything I trie for the child account WIndows always asks for the Administrator PINSetup:WIndows 10:2 accounts....
  6. Hyper V and child account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  7. Hyper V on windows home using a Script found on the internet, IS it a bad option.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V on windows home using a Script found on the internet, IS it a bad option.: I am using windows 11 home and I wanted to use the hyperV, I know it is not available on home editions but I found a blog post and they were advising on using a script, I need the hyperV but I dont want to compromise my windows security. are these scripts really a bad option?...
  8. Hyper V on windows home using a Script found on the internet, IS it a bad option.

Hyper V on windows home using a Script found on the internet, IS it a bad option.: I am using windows 11 home and I wanted to use the hyperV, I know it is not available on home editions but I found a blog post and they were advising on using a script, I need the hyperV but I dont want to compromise my windows security. are these scripts really a bad option?...
  9. Need Help!!! I am running a fully patched Hyper-V Server 2016 with 6 VMs. 3 of them are bug...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Help!!! I am running a fully patched Hyper-V Server 2016 with 6 VMs. 3 of them are bug...: The VMS are 4 x Windows 10 Pro, 2 x Server 2022 Standard. I have run DISM restore health sfc /scannow chkdsk /r /f with no issues found! 2 of the Win10 and 1 of the server VMs are crashing. The mini-dumps point to bad driver ntoskrnl.exe from bad address ntoskrnl.exe+42xxxIn...
  10. Need Help!!! I am running a fully patched Hyper-V Server 2016 with 6 VMs. 3 of them are bug...

Need Help!!! I am running a fully patched Hyper-V Server 2016 with 6 VMs. 3 of them are bug...: The VMS are 4 x Windows 10 Pro, 2 x Server 2022 Standard. I have run DISM restore health sfc /scannow chkdsk /r /f with no issues found! 2 of the Win10 and 1 of the server VMs are crashing. The mini-dumps point to bad driver ntoskrnl.exe from bad address ntoskrnl.exe+42xxxIn...