Windows 10: Hyperlink to Website Doesn't Work

Discus and support Hyperlink to Website Doesn't Work in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I am receiving numerous messages that "There's a problem with this Website's certificate" for sites I know are good and that I visited frequently when... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by ABR1861, Apr 25, 2016.

1. ABR1861 Win User

Hyperlink to Website Doesn't Work

I am receiving numerous messages that "There's a problem with this Website's certificate" for sites I know are good and that I visited frequently when I had Windows 7 and IE (just a couple of weeks, ago). When I seek to go to the website by clicking on the hyperlink that says "Continue to this website (not recommended)," nothing happens. The hyperlink appears that it should work, but it doesn't. Are there any simple (I am far from a techie) ways to deal with this problem? It is extremely annoying to have to try to reach the sites on Firefox. Thanks for any help you can offer.

:)

ABR1861, Apr 25, 2016

2. New Themes for Nokia Mobiles

Sounds like they're just advertising a website, though the hyperlinks aren't working.

RichCowell, Apr 25, 2016
  3. hyperlink not working

Thank you. I called the college and talked to them because the hyperlinks weren't working on any browser. Then it occurred to me to try another site. I had no problem on a different website so the problem was the college's website. I called tech support
    and they confirmed that the hyperlinks were not working and the teacher sent bad sites. Thank you for putting up with me.

Leigh_Hill, Apr 25, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

What's an example website that it's happening on?

I assume this is in IE as you mentioned that was what you were using on Windows 7. If you have 'Certificate Error' with a red shield in the Internet Explorer address bar, then you will be able to view the certificate. So in that case, click on it and go to 'View Certificate', then post screenshots of the 'General' and 'Certification Path' tabs.

Hyperlink to Website Doesn't Work [​IMG]

However, if you say that when clicking on "Continue to this web page (not recommended)" it won't let you continue, then I doubt you'll be able to view the certificate. In that scenario, in their infinite wisdom Microsoft decided that they wouldn't make it possible to view the actual certificate that the browser says there's a problem with (and MS Edge is even worse as you can't view the certificate even when there isn't a problem with it), which makes it pretty much a guessing game as to what the problem with the certificate is.

Sometimes certificate errors are due to incorrect PC date/time or third-party software performing man-in-the-middle interception on secure connections. So I guess you could start with is your PC date/time correct? Do you have any third-party security software installed that maybe intercepting your HTTPS web traffic?

ARC1020, Apr 26, 2016
  5. ABR1861 Win User
    My problem is with EDGE. It wasn't a problem before when I had IE. My date and time are correct. I'll see if I can temporarily disable my security software to see if that helps. Would appreciate anyone else's thoughts, as well.

ABR1861, Apr 26, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    I agree that the date/time settings can affect this. Even if it's correct, sometimes toggling/changing it and then putting it back seems to help. Also, you still have IE in Windows 10; you could try and see if the link works in it. If so, you could set your program defaults for HTTPS traffic to use IE (or Firefox, for that matter) automatically.

Type iexplore.exe in the search box to open IE.

To change default programs, see here:
    Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

It shows how to change default apps by protocol in the video starting at about 2:27.

simrick, Apr 26, 2016
  7. bfrederi Win User
    If you Google around you will find that this is a big problem for a huge number of people. The most common cause is a bad system time setting on your computer. However, this is not the only cause. In my case, after confirming that my system clock was fine, I finally tracked down the problem to my Avast antivirus software. If you have this problem, and are running Avast:

1. Go to the Avast settings,.
    2. Navigate to "Active protection"
    3. Click "Customize" under "Web Shield".
    4. Uncheck "Enable HTTPS scanning".
    5. Save your changes.

Good luck.

bfrederi, Apr 28, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Interesting...although it leaves your HTTPS traffic vulnerable.

simrick, Apr 28, 2016
  9. ABR1861 Win User
    This worked great! Also, fixed the problem in IE. Thanks for the help.

ABR1861, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hyperlink to Website Doesn't Work - Similar Threads - Hyperlink Website Doesn't

2. Hyperlinks not working after removing the files with hyperlinks NOT refered file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyperlinks not working after removing the files with hyperlinks NOT refered file: I though it´s perfectly OK to move .odt files WITH RELATIVE HYPERLINKS refering to other .odt files to another folder within OneDrive or within my USB Drive not across OneDrive + USB Drive without breaking the hyperlinks. It´s apparently no the case. I am not about moving...
  3. Hyperlinks not working after removing the files with hyperlinks NOT refered file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyperlinks not working after removing the files with hyperlinks NOT refered file: I though it´s perfectly OK to move .odt files WITH RELATIVE HYPERLINKS refering to other .odt files to another folder within OneDrive or within my USB Drive not across OneDrive + USB Drive without breaking the hyperlinks. It´s apparently no the case. I am not about moving...
  4. Hyperlinks not working after

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyperlinks not working after: I though it´s perfectly OK to move .odt files WITH RELATIVE HYPERLINKS refering to other .odt files to another folder within OneDrive or within my USB Drive not across OneDrive + USB Drive without breaking the hyperlinks. I am not about moving files that are refered. It´s...
  5. Hyperlinks in Word not working.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Hyperlinks in Word not working.: I use the Word document program from Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016. My OS is Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, and I use Firefox as my browser. I like to copy a hyperlink from the Internet onto my Word page. Normally I then use the return key, or space bar, and the...
  6. Hyperlinks not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyperlinks not working: Hyperlinks not working. Receive message "Operations has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on the computer". Google Chrome is my default for browser. Shows in apps for default browser and email. I do not have Internet Explorer App showing anywhere, and this gets...
  7. Hyperlinks not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hyperlinks not working: Following a torrid week of 3 Windows 10 cumulative updates [KB4494441 (OS Build 17763.503) (twice) and KB4505056 (OS Build 17763.504)] which each wiped almost all of my programme settings, the problem I am left with is an ability to click through hyperlinks in messages on...
  8. Hyperlinks not working in Works 9.0

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyperlinks not working in Works 9.0: I recently got a new computer with Windows 10 Home. To keep my old Works files I installed Works 9 and it's working well for the most part. But one issue I'm having is the hyperlinks in the documents don't take me to the Internet when they're clicked. I've looked at...
  9. Hyperlinks not working

in Browsers and Email
    Hyperlinks not working: Hello there Recently I noticed hyperlinks in outlook do not works. is there any fix? Thank you 88652
  10. Hyperlinks not working in Email.

in Browsers and Email
    Hyperlinks not working in Email.: When I click on a link in my email, it does nothing, goes nowhere. This happens in Edge as well as Chrome. I have Office 2007. This just started happening. If I copy the link and paste it, it seems fine. Need some help out there guys and gals. You have been pretty good to me...