Windows 10: HyperV does not respect screen res set in grub for Android x86?

Discus and support HyperV does not respect screen res set in grub for Android x86? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi. I'm running Android x86 using HyperV. I want to change the screen res to 800x600. To do that, I add the following line to the grub boot menu:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbob, Jun 24, 2019.

1. jimbob Win User

HyperV does not respect screen res set in grub for Android x86?

Hi.
    I'm running Android x86 using HyperV.
    I want to change the screen res to 800x600.
    To do that, I add the following line to the grub boot menu: vga=789
    I've also tried adding it to the menu.lst file

It seems that the GRUB respects this setting, but as soon as it hands over to Android, it overrides it with the default resolution, which makes the window too big for my screen.

What am I doing wrong?

:)

jimbob, Jun 24, 2019
  2. spapakons Win User

Dual boot Windows 10 and Android-x86

Hello!

Excuse me if this is the wrong section, please move to the appropriate section. My colleague has an old netbook and would like to either install Android-x86 on it or dual-boot with Windows. As I am a bit more advanced, I decided to try it myself so I can help him step-by-step.

The first attempt was to install Android-x86 only in a USB Flash drive. So I removed my test-notebook's hard disk (to avoid any accidents) and proceeded with the installation. I won't go into details as this is not the purpose of this post. After some attempts I did it right and could boot into Android-x86.

Then I wanted to go a step further and dual-boot with Windows. My Colleague is going to use Windows 7, but I had already installed Windows 10 Pro 32-bit on my test-notebook and wouldn't want to format and install 7. Besides, how different it could be using Windows 10? So I loaded Computer Management, then Disk Manager and shrank the Windows partition by about 10GB to make room for the Android-x86 installation. To identify the space easily within Android-x86 Setup, I even created a new simple volume and formatted it as FAT32 and labeled it Android. Within Android-x86 installation there were no partition names, only sizes in KB, but I managed to identify the correct partition and install Android there. When asked I also installed the Grub boot loader to be able to boot into Android and added an entry for Windows. After reboot I expected to boot into Grub and see selections about Andoid-x86 and Windows. But instead I booted into Windows 10! So I thought to use EasyBCD to add a boot entry for Android. Using the Metro interface made no difference and the computer booted into Windows 10 again without giving me any choice. I then loaded EasyBCD again and this time I disabled the Metro interface, so I had the old good Windows 7 (legacy) boot loader. I could see the entry for Android but I could not boot into that. I tried to add a boot entry with Grub (legacy) connected to the Android partition without any success. Then I tried all other available partitions, naturally nothing again. Once I tried to add a Grub2 entry but all I got was an empty list without boot entries, so I saw a Grub command prompt. I know nothing of Grub, so I cannot use this command prompt to boot into Android-x86.

Is anyone familiar with Grub and EasyBCD to tell me what to do? If that helps, in Windows Disk Manager I see 4 partitions and Android is installed in the third partition which is formatted as ext4. In Android Setup I see more partitions (weird) and the Android partition is sda5. Android-x86 was 6.0 RC1 Marshmallow, but I don't think that matters.

Thank you in advance...

spapakons, Jun 24, 2019
  3. grub2win (Windows 10 and Android x86) configuration confusion

So I got grub2win working with my current setup, and I did find one topic relating to grub2win and android x86, but im still confused on some steps

the version of android x86 I got is android-x86_64-8.1-rc1, and I have 2 HDD's (one for win10, the 2nd is for whatever else), so I formatted the drive to ext4 and installed android x86 to the 2nd HDD. Now I don't know if I'm meant to say yes to "install grub to HDD?", or if I can skip it and use grub2win to make an entry instead

What I don't get is how to set grub2win to detect any Linux OS including android x86 when I can/can't switch to/from ext4; if I could get help in that regard, that would be nice, or considering the linux talk, should I take this to askubuntu instead?

BrokenDaily, Jun 24, 2019
  4. LimerOS Win User

Android-x86 dualboot with Win 10 not working

I decided to install Android-x86 5.1 Lollipop on my computer next to Windows 10 x86, as I need a lot of Android apps, and BlueStacks runs very slowly. I tested it out with it's installation media's Live CD. It worked like a charm. I selected my 16 GB partition
    for it, and when it asked to install GRUB, I selected Yes. When it asked to install EFI GRUB2, I selected No. I created a 2047 MB of disk image.

When it rebooted, it didn't display the GRUB, it booted to Windows 10 instead. What should I do now, so I could use both systems?

Also, I'm using BIOS, not UEFI.

LimerOS, Jun 24, 2019
Thema:

1. HyperV does not respect screen res set in grub for Android x86? - Similar Threads - HyperV does respect

2. Delete Android-x86

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete Android-x86: Hello guys!Today without your help, my PC will become a piece of ****.A few months ago, I installed Android-x86 on my harddrive.But then, I wanted to delete it. So first I had to install Windows. For that, I downloaded Windows 7 ISO and created a bootable usb using...
  3. Delete Android-x86

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete Android-x86: Hello guys!Today without your help, my PC will become a piece of ****.A few months ago, I installed Android-x86 on my harddrive.But then, I wanted to delete it. So first I had to install Windows. For that, I downloaded Windows 7 ISO and created a bootable usb using...
  4. Windows "respects" power settings???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows "respects" power settings???: windows "respects" power settings???????????????"What? How?" MemeNOTE: This is not a question. I just want to post this for fun. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-respects-power-settings/6c0ca8f2-59cb-4ed1-b7ad-b1090af39833
  5. Windows "respects" power settings???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows "respects" power settings???: windows "respects" power settings???????????????"What? How?" MemeNOTE: This is not a question. I just want to post this for fun. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-respects-power-settings/6c0ca8f2-59cb-4ed1-b7ad-b1090af39833
  6. Screen Res change

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen Res change: Hello. I am wondering if I am able to write a line of code that will change my screen resolution when I open Minecraft Windows 10 Edition. I have tried QRes but I couldn’t quite figure it out, any suggestions? submitted by /u/CoolKidSylas [link] [comments]...
  7. HyperV and Grub mouse issue.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HyperV and Grub mouse issue.: So I decided to install ubuntu alongside windows in a Hyper-V VM (more as an experiment than desire). It all went fine without any hitches. The only problem I have come across is the GRUB selection menu is like the old style Windows 7 dual boot menus and only responds to...
  8. Borders/screen res issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Borders/screen res issue: Hi there, Today a game i loaded up froze on start and wouldn’t close, task manager also refused to open during this, i restarted my computer but as it was restarting i cancelled mid process. This created two black borders on my screen, one at each side and stretched the...
  9. Windows respect my settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows respect my settings.: Can you believe this OS can't get something as simple as time right, I have been late for appointments because it decided to roll back my time by an hour, I have been dealing with this for months now, last week it really crushed me when it went back 2 hours which it has never...
  10. Why the screen time is not respected?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Why the screen time is not respected?: Hi, Since last week son can access laptop after limited time in screen time setup. All was working well two weeks ago. It looks like thete is an issue with the sleep mode. When the system is resumed from the sleep mode you can login despite your screen time is exceeded?...