Windows 10: Hyphen key not working

Discus and support Hyphen key not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, The hyphen key (-) on my keyboard is not registering. However the underscore (_) sign works when holding shift. I have found that the hyphen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JuanSerrano4, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Hyphen key not working

Hello,

The hyphen key (-) on my keyboard is not registering. However the underscore (_) sign works when holding shift. I have found that the hyphen does not work even on the virtual keyboard.

This happened sporadically today, no windows updates or anything.

Windows version:

Windows 10 Home

Version 1809

OS build 17763.253

:)

JuanSerrano4, Jan 22, 2019

2. Hyphen key, and Alt code sporadically stop working.

Hi Rogue,

We would appreciate for the troubleshooting steps that you have tried.

• Have you installed the latest keyboard driver from the computer manufacturer’s website?

I suggest you to use the on-screen keyboard and check if the same issue persists:

• Press Windows + R keys together.

• Type “osk” and hit enter.
    Hope this information helps.

Thank you.

Jenith_James, Jan 22, 2019
  3. Hyphen key, and Alt code sporadically stop working.

This primarily happens in One-note, but also in some other products, as well as the occasional non-microsoft product (primarily video games and chat programs). It's not a major issue, but the hyphen key (-) will occasionally just not work in some programs.
    The biggest offender seems to be one-note where the key never works. I can copy and paste the hyphen in, but the button itself, and the alt code (alt+45) doesn't insert the hyphen correctly. I noticed this after I upgraded to windows 10 from 8, though admittedly
    I didn't use one-note as much before the upgrade, so I'm not sure if it was happening before.

Troubleshooting already attempted.

At one point I did need to re-install windows 10, issue remained.

I've used three different keyboards. I don't recall the first one, but after that I had a razer, and am now using a logitech. I checked the drivers on all of them, with no success.

Obviously restarting does nothing.

I've tried installing a different version of english (I usually use US, switched to English UK)

I've tried using alt codes to insert the hyphen, and it doesn't work, though I can get similar symbols, like Alt+0151.

While this isn't a major concern, I'm trying to fix it at this point out of sheer curiosity. I've only had once or twice that it was a major annoyance, primarily when I had to enter in a code of some kind where the long dash wasn't acceptable, or where
    copy-pasting or alt codes was disabled for some reason.

I'd give more information, but honestly I'm not even sure where to start on this, and I don't know what information would even be useful for diagnosing. Any direction that you can give me would be appreciated.

Rogue Dragon, Jan 22, 2019
  4. Hyphen key not working

On my keyboard the underscore/hyphen key does not respond. Solution?

On my keyboard the underscore/hyphen key does not respond. Solutions?

Steve Ziegman, Jan 22, 2019
Thema:

Hyphen key not working

1. Hyphen key not working - Similar Threads - Hyphen key working

2. The keyboard hyphen key - is not registered. However, if you hold down the Shift key, the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The keyboard hyphen key - is not registered. However, if you hold down the Shift key, the...: I've found that the dash doesn't work with the virtual keyboard either. To fix that I tried:remove the driver and restartkeyboard troubleshooter...
  3. The keyboard hyphen key - is not registered. However, if you hold down the Shift key, the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The keyboard hyphen key - is not registered. However, if you hold down the Shift key, the...: I've found that the dash doesn't work with the virtual keyboard either. To fix that I tried:remove the driver and restartkeyboard troubleshooter...
  4. The keyboard hyphen key - is not registered. However, if you hold down the Shift key, the...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Chrome Hyphen Data File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chrome Hyphen Data File: Is it safe to delete chrome hyphen data file? Its located in appdata > local> google > chrome> user data > hyphen data. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chrome-hyphen-data-file/a05cac28-f003-4e68-b993-9f851eb6b951
  6. Chrome Hyphen Data File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chrome Hyphen Data File: Is it safe to delete chrome hyphen data file? Its located in appdata > local> google > chrome> user data > hyphen data. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chrome-hyphen-data-file/a05cac28-f003-4e68-b993-9f851eb6b951
  7. Chrome Hyphen Data File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Five and six keys don't work, along with six key on number pad, underscore/hyphen key and tilde

Five and six keys don't work, along with six key on number pad, underscore/hyphen key and tilde: Hi there,Since January of 2019 my five and six keys along with a few other keys on the keyboard have not been working. I originally chalked this up to a hardware malfunction which is why I'm asking about it two years later. Recently however I found a post on this forum from...
  9. Hyphen key not working.

Hyphen key not working.: My power has gone out 4 times today and now the hyphen key is not working and it is only the one key. I have gone through all the troubleshooting, I would greatly appreciate an actual answer to fix this problem. The key has worked fine on multiple keyboards and for years on...
  10. Hyphen/Minus key not working, but Shift+Hyphen/Minus still types an underscore ' _ '

Hyphen/Minus key not working, but Shift+Hyphen/Minus still types an underscore ' _ ': Keypress doesn't work with my laptop keyboard or USB keyboard, and also does not work with the On-Screen Keyboard. Any solutions for this issue? P.S. I have tried every "just uninstall and reinstall this software" solution, it doesn't work, please only reply if you have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyphen key not working