Windows 10: I accidentally changed a disk to MBR & have lost files

Discus and support I accidentally changed a disk to MBR & have lost files in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My external hard drive was not displayed so I went into disk management. Someone told me to change it to MBR and no I cannot locate ANY of my personal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by computerdeficient22, May 15, 2022.

1. I accidentally changed a disk to MBR & have lost files

My external hard drive was not displayed so I went into disk management. Someone told me to change it to MBR and no I cannot locate ANY of my personal files. I purchased AOMEI Partition Assistant and MiniTool Partition Wizard but have not been successful. Help!!

:)

computerdeficient22, May 15, 2022

2. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, May 15, 2022
  3. mbr to gpt change without data lost during Windows installing

Hi Gurjar,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• What is the make and model of your PC?
    • What is the error you are getting as you have mentioned above?
    • Was there any Disk partition while converting from MBR to GPT?
    Please post us back with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 15, 2022
  4. I accidentally changed a disk to MBR & have lost files

changing a disk drive from mbr to gpt

If you have Windows 10 loaded on an MBR disk drive can that drive be changed to a GPT disk drive?

BoSpurrier, May 15, 2022
Thema:

I accidentally changed a disk to MBR & have lost files

1. I accidentally changed a disk to MBR & have lost files - Similar Threads - accidentally changed disk

2. I accidentally changed a disk to MBR & have lost files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I accidentally changed a disk to MBR & have lost files: My external hard drive was not displayed so I went into disk management. Someone told me to change it to MBR and no I cannot locate ANY of my personal files. I purchased AOMEI Partition Assistant and MiniTool Partition Wizard but have not been successful. Help!!...
  3. I accidentally changed a disk to MBR & have lost files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I accidentally changed a disk to MBR & have lost files: My external hard drive was not displayed so I went into disk management. Someone told me to change it to MBR and no I cannot locate ANY of my personal files. I purchased AOMEI Partition Assistant and MiniTool Partition Wizard but have not been successful. Help!!...
  4. I accidentally lost admin access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I accidentally lost admin access: I accidentally demote myself to standard account on windows 10 . And created a new admin account but I can't sign in to my new admin account whenever I tried to log into it , it shows "you need to install an app for this task " and when i click on yes it bring me to the login...
  5. Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks: I'm trying to convert my MBR partition (which is on an HDD) to a GPT-based boot record, but my OS install is on an SSD (i.e. a different drive than the MBR). I'm not exactly sure how this happened when I was installing Windows; I think the HDD was set as disk 0 while the SSD...
  6. changing a disk drive from mbr to gpt

changing a disk drive from mbr to gpt: If you have Windows 10 loaded on an MBR disk drive can that drive be changed to a GPT disk drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-disk-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt/f52734b1-dc31-4705-9cdb-982cc13c9662
  7. I have lost my music files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have lost my music files: My music files are still on my Apple Nano and Apple iPhone 8+, but main music choices that were on my Windows laptop have disappeared.???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-lost-my-music-files/94e9328d-751f-4c03-9c0d-d2a08bfba967"
  8. Lost my Windows license after accidental disk erasing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost my Windows license after accidental disk erasing: Hello, I've used Windows 10 for more than year without any problem. Yesterday I decided to reinstall it beside other OS and, by accident, I erase all the disk data - along Windows installation and its license number. Is there any chance of recovering it in order to do a...
  9. How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk: why does windows 10 32 bit(x86) clean install as mbr when i pre-format the hard drive as gpt? is there a solution or is that the default and only option for installation? i've contacted asus who makes my motherboard to check for uefi details and everything i can think of...
  10. convert MBR to GPT disk

convert MBR to GPT disk: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7633 MB 0 B DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size...