Windows 10: I accidentally deleted a folder from my File History backups. How do I get File History to...

Discus and support I accidentally deleted a folder from my File History backups. How do I get File History to... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; It's embarassing, but I lost sight of where I was in File Explorer and accidentally deleted a folder (and subfolders) from the File History drive. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GF1701, Sep 11, 2019.

1. GF1701 Win User

I accidentally deleted a folder from my File History backups. How do I get File History to...

It's embarassing, but I lost sight of where I was in File Explorer and accidentally deleted a folder (and subfolders) from the File History drive. I still have the original files, of course, but I would like File History to back them up again. I tried removing the folder from the backup list, and then adding it back, but that didn't produce anything. Same with turning File History off and then on again. I see the problem: As far as File History is concerned (per whatever database or index it uses), all those folders and files are already backed up. In Recovery, It can list every one of them for me. But of course, they're not actually there. So I somehow have to get File History to erase these files from its index/database. Can anyone tell me how to proceed, or how to work around it?

:)

GF1701, Sep 11, 2019

2. How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Sep 11, 2019
  3. ALN
    ALN Win User
    How to remove folders from File History

That did it - Thank you Mila!

4. Leen76 Win User

I accidentally deleted a folder from my File History backups. How do I get File History to...

Backup These Folders in File History

My Pictures and My Videos folders are inside the My Documents folder. In File History all three folders are listed in the Backup These Folders list. Does this mean that because of this, files in Pictures and Videos are backuped twice? Once when backing up
    My Documents and once when backing up My Pictures and My Videos (included in My Documents)

Leen76, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

1. I accidentally deleted a folder from my File History backups. How do I get File History to... - Similar Threads - accidentally deleted folder

2. Which file history folders do I delete?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which file history folders do I delete?: Which file history folders do I delete? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-file-history-folders-do-i-delete/54f62627-2ddc-46ae-9c36-978a344a3dac
  3. Which file history folders do I delete?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which file history folders do I delete?: Which file history folders do I delete? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-file-history-folders-do-i-delete/54f62627-2ddc-46ae-9c36-978a344a3dac
  4. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history not deleting older backups: For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start overAny suggestions appreciated?Thanks in advance...
  5. file history not deleting older backups

file history not deleting older backups: For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start overAny suggestions appreciated?Thanks in advance...
  6. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage leaving me with none on that drive without deleting other files, and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created...
  8. Deleting File History backups

Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage leaving me with none on that drive without deleting other files, and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created...
  9. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created so I can get my storage back...
  10. I use File history for backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    I use File history for backup: To a drive on my LAN, if my computer crashes how do I get my files back to my new computer? V2004 B19041.685 171493