Windows 10: I accidentally deleted C drive on Microsoft Surface Windows 10

Discus and support I accidentally deleted C drive on Microsoft Surface Windows 10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Please help! I just did the stupidest thing I’ve ever done and deleted the folders on my c drive instead of the thumb drive I had plugged in. The OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kbleichner, Apr 20, 2020.

1. I accidentally deleted C drive on Microsoft Surface Windows 10

Please help! I just did the stupidest thing I’ve ever done and deleted the folders on my c drive instead of the thumb drive I had plugged in. The OS was protected so the laptop still works but all of my folders, pictures, and documents are gone. The only thing I really care about is a folder that was on my desktop with all of my law school notes from the last year in it... finals are next week so I am absolutely desperate... any help would be so appreciated!

submitted by /u/kbleichner
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kbleichner, Apr 20, 2020

2. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Apr 20, 2020
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink I accidentally deleted C drive on Microsoft Surface Windows 10 ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Apr 20, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

I accidentally deleted C drive on Microsoft Surface Windows 10

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, I accidentally deleted C drive on Microsoft Surface Windows 10 :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

I accidentally deleted C drive on Microsoft Surface Windows 10

1. I accidentally deleted C drive on Microsoft Surface Windows 10 - Similar Threads - accidentally deleted drive

2. Accidentally deleted c drive's "Authenticated User" and "SYSTEM" and set drive's permission...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accidentally deleted c drive's "Authenticated User" and "SYSTEM" and set drive's permission...: I have Accidentally deleted c drive's "Authenticated User" and "SYSTEM" and set drive's permission to write only and now if I try to change permissions it prompt "access denied". Here I am attaching screenshots of drives' properties dialogue....
  3. Accidentally Deleted Recover Folder in C Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Accidentally Deleted Recover Folder in C Drive: I just accidentally deleted recovery folder located in c drive. Will it affect my pc? I am too nervous right now. Read some article online and found out that one person deleted that folder and then rebooted his pc. but his pc won't even reboot. it's just blue screen. I am...
  4. Accidentally Deleted Recover Folder in C Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidentally Deleted Recover Folder in C Drive: I just accidentally deleted recovery folder located in c drive. Will it affect my pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidentally-deleted-recover-folder-in-c-drive/9c12c0a7-de17-41b2-b20f-75c32cdcb892
  5. Accidentally Deleted Recover Folder in C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally Deleted Recover Folder in C Drive: I just accidentally deleted recovery folder located in c drive. Will it affect my pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidentally-deleted-recover-folder-in-c-drive/9c12c0a7-de17-41b2-b20f-75c32cdcb892
  6. Accidentally Deleted Recover Folder in C Drive

7. Accidentally Deleted C:/ProgramData/Windows Defender/

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Accidentally Deleted C:/ProgramData/Windows Defender/: I accidentally deleted the windows defender folder from program data and now windows defender won't start up again. Ive tried manually installing an update but that doesn't work. Do I have to copy the folder from a different installation of windows to get it to work again?...
  8. MICROSOFT I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED c: /windows/installer

MICROSOFT I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED c: /windows/installer: I was deleting files in my laptop because i have a little storage left so I deleted every file that is not important, After I deleted things i had a lot of GB but then when i woke up another day and clicked on word 2013 and even power point 2013 when i tried downloading them...
  9. I accidentally deleted Microsoft office

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I accidentally deleted Microsoft office: I didnt know Microsoft word was a part of Microsoft office. And i didnt use Microsoft office (atlease i thought that) but now i cant download it anymore. It says i have to pay. What should i do and how do i re-install it? And do i get the documents back then? submitted by...
  10. Microsoft Mail in Windows 10 was deleted accidentally

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Mail in Windows 10 was deleted accidentally: I accidentally deleted the mail app that came with Windows 10, how do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-mail-in-windows-10-was-deleted/56fd7eac-3513-407e-a5b1-12f267fa2fa5