Windows 10: I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!)

Discus and support I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello. I was trying for a method on Youtube to turn off Windows Defender since exclusions was not working, and it kept deleting all my files I need. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by zach_1542, Aug 9, 2019.

1. zach_1542 Win User

I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!)

Hello. I was trying for a method on Youtube to turn off Windows Defender since exclusions was not working, and it kept deleting all my files I need. I did a method where I must of renamed something, I cleared my history so I do not know what the video was. Here is a screenshot of what happeneds when I try to open Windows Defender from the hidden icons. This is an issue since this is causing my PC to not update and I need to update my PC rn, I am on the 2019/07 Cumulative Update Version 1803. It says "Error 0x80070bc9". If anyone can help me get Windows Defender back and so I can update my laptop again? Thanks if you can help, it means a lot. Check out the screenshot when I open Windows Defender. (right after I open Windows Defender, it just closes.) I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!) 164a4582-3613-43e6-86bf-44900203aaf0?upload=true.png

:)

zach_1542, Aug 9, 2019

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 9, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Installing Apps on Windows 10 Has Windows Defender Finding Malware

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Is this issue specific to third party apps?
    I would suggest you to open Windows defender and add exclusions and check if it helps. Follow the steps to add exclusions in windows Defender.

• Type Windows defender settings in the search bar and press enter

• Under Exclusions click on Add Exclusion
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Arul_D, Aug 9, 2019
  4. I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!)

Windows Defender Not On

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run virus scan to make sure the computer is free from virus.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download

Method 2:

Turn the Defender on. Follow the below steps:

• In search, type Defender.
    • Now make the option ON by moving the slider accordingly.

Method 3: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Select “Run as Administrator”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!)

1. I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!) - Similar Threads - accidentally messed Defender

2. I messed up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I messed up: I was having problems playing games on Facebook. It was the second time this happened to me and was not able to fix the problem this time so I decided to restore my computer to an earlier date when it was working... Boy that was a no no...was my first time using the restore...
  3. I accidentally removed ntkrnlmp.exe Help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I accidentally removed ntkrnlmp.exe Help!: my anti-malware detected ntkrnlmp.exe as suspicious so i accidentally removed it . What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-removed-ntkrnlmpexe-help/4e3b087c-0a10-4bd0-a275-a3369c77478b
  4. Windows Defender messing things up.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender messing things up.: For a while now, my windows defender has been acting over aggressively for a bunch of files and is preventing me from downloading certain files and changing certain settings. It also won't let me save in many different video games, and the only thing that is allowing me to...
  5. Help! I have messed up my pc messing with bios settings and disk part!

in Windows 10 Support
    Help! I have messed up my pc messing with bios settings and disk part!: I have done A LOT of messing with settings while trying to boot my pc..idk why it's been stuck on the spinning circle. I am so lost at this point, please someone?? I have an hp stream 11 and I'm clueless... 115235
  6. Help, I messed up my Users and can't log in!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Help, I messed up my Users and can't log in!: So I have a Dell Alienware M18Xr2 which I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. Everything was fine until yesterday. I'm building an app in Visual Studio, and was getting an access denied error trying to read a .XML file. It turned out I had the path...
  7. Default screenshot folder messed up! Help!

in Windows 10 Support
    Default screenshot folder messed up! Help!: Hello there guys, I'm running Windows 10 Home. I changed my default screenshot folder from OneDrive>Pictures to my desktop. Now when ever I take screenshots, they are directly saved onto my desktop instead of a "screenshots" folder on my desktop. The only way I can think...
  8. I messed up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I messed up: Hi. Does anyone know how to fix this terrible mess I got myself into? On disk0 the partitions are out of order. What can I do to fix it? [img] . Any help will be appreciated. 96616
  9. Windows messed up.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows messed up.: Since doing a refresh of Windows 10 some of my menus or whatever are messed up. It is hard to explain and I searched but since I don't know what it is called I will post a screenshot. [img] As you can see the tabs on the top are not flat and look like they did from...
  10. I really messed up

in Windows 10 Support
    I really messed up: Sorry that this is long and not that well worded I really messed up. So from the beginning. I bought a pc from one of my friends on Friday. (Specs: cpu: Intel i7 4790, gpu: nvidia geforce gtx 970, motherboard: gigabyte z97 hd3, and Windows 10 home, originally...