Windows 10: I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!)

Discus and support I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello. I was trying for a method on Youtube to turn off Windows Defender since exclusions was not working, and it kept deleting all my files I need. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by zach_1542, Aug 9, 2019.

1. zach_1542 Win User

I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!)

Hello. I was trying for a method on Youtube to turn off Windows Defender since exclusions was not working, and it kept deleting all my files I need. I did a method where I must of renamed something, I cleared my history so I do not know what the video was. Here is a screenshot of what happeneds when I try to open Windows Defender from the hidden icons. This is an issue since this is causing my PC to not update and I need to update my PC rn, I am on the 2019/07 Cumulative Update Version 1803. It says "Error 0x80070bc9". If anyone can help me get Windows Defender back and so I can update my laptop again? Thanks if you can help, it means a lot. Check out the screenshot when I open Windows Defender. (right after I open Windows Defender, it just closes.) I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!) 164a4582-3613-43e6-86bf-44900203aaf0?upload=true.png

:)

zach_1542, Aug 9, 2019

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 9, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Installing Apps on Windows 10 Has Windows Defender Finding Malware

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Is this issue specific to third party apps?
    I would suggest you to open Windows defender and add exclusions and check if it helps. Follow the steps to add exclusions in windows Defender.

• Type Windows defender settings in the search bar and press enter

• Under Exclusions click on Add Exclusion
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Arul_D, Aug 9, 2019
  4. I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!)

Windows Defender Not On

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run virus scan to make sure the computer is free from virus.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download

Method 2:

Turn the Defender on. Follow the below steps:

• In search, type Defender.
    • Now make the option ON by moving the slider accordingly.

Method 3: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Select “Run as Administrator”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!)

1. I accidentally messed up Windows Defender (help!) - Similar Threads - accidentally messed Defender

2. WINDOWS DEFENDER MESSED UP BADLY

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WINDOWS DEFENDER MESSED UP BADLY: I can't use my windows defender and also I Can't find "Security Centre" in service.msc . I also have recently downloaded malwarebytes and removed some trojan and a virus called "SOUNDFLOWPICKER". But my win def is still not working .I am eagerly looking for a viable solution....
  3. Windows Defender SmartScreen messing up OneDrive Downloads

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender SmartScreen messing up OneDrive Downloads: Hi All,Having a mare with OneDrive and SmartScreen since this morning.Most users have been using OneDrive fine but this morning every single document opened kicks in SS saying it is downloading but it does not complete and errors out.The operation was not completed before the...
  4. I messed up with my cloning, help?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    I messed up with my cloning, help?: [img] So what I was trying to do was to clone my SSD to HHD so that I can install my new SSD. Now the HHD I cloned to was previously 1TB but not it's saying it's 120GB exactly the same as my SSD? I have no idea what's going on and it's not going going well this cloning...
  5. I messed up with my cloning, help?

in Windows 10 Support
    I messed up with my cloning, help?: [img] So what I was trying to do was to clone my SSD to HHD so that I can install my new SSD. Now the HHD I cloned to was previously 1TB but not it's saying it's 120GB exactly the same as my SSD? I have no idea what's going on and it's not going going well this cloning...
  6. I messed up. Please help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I messed up. Please help!: I had one user account on my Windows 10 and i wanted to change the User folder name. So following this tutorial, https://youtu.be/XASJTN8Sr1I , Created a temporary user account with administrative privileges and signed into it. Went to the registry editor and changed the...
  7. Pls help me. I messed up

Pls help me. I messed up: I was installing chromium os in my old laptop which had windows 10. I booted chromium os through a flash drive and then cleared my hard drive to install chromium os. That resulted in the deletion of windows 10. Now I am creating a bootable USB for windows from the official...
  8. Need help I think I messed up

Need help I think I messed up: Ok, so I used the windows 10 debloater master because I heard that it improves the performance of your laptop(which it did)but now I cannot update my windows version anymore and on top of that even though there's a revert script it seems like it is not working because when I...
  9. I Need Help i messed up and

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I Need Help i messed up and: and totally wiped my C dive now I cant get It back can someone please help I was running win 10 pro 64 my computer is an AsRock p67 Exstreme4 gen 3 p.1.10-15a with 4 cores running 16 gb ram Basicly I made the mistake after coping the C drive thinking I was them able to...
  10. Windows Defender messing things up.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender messing things up.: For a while now, my windows defender has been acting over aggressively for a bunch of files and is preventing me from downloading certain files and changing certain settings. It also won't let me save in many different video games, and the only thing that is allowing me to...