Windows 10: I accidentally selected to open .property files with Notepad. Cant unspecify now

Discus and support I accidentally selected to open .property files with Notepad. Cant unspecify now in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I want to unspecify what file to have it opened with. It now always installs as Notepad, because thats what I opened it with. I may have chosen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Florren, May 10, 2020.

1. I accidentally selected to open .property files with Notepad. Cant unspecify now

I want to unspecify what file to have it opened with. It now always installs as Notepad, because thats what I opened it with. I may have chosen ''Always open with'' or whatever it was

submitted by /u/Florren
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Florren, May 10, 2020
  2. LemP Win User

notepad file won't open

Right-click on the Notepad file and select "Properties."

Compare what you see to the first figure below:

1. What is the "Type of file" for your file?
    2. What is shown for "Opens with" for your file?
    Click "Cancel" to close the Properties window.

Right-click on the file again and this time select "Open with > Choose default program ..."

In the "Open with" window, select "Notepad" from the list of recommended programs, make sure that the box is marked next to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and click OK. See the second figure below.

If for some reason Notepad is not in the list of recommended programs, click the down arrow to the right of "Other Programs" and look for it there.

I accidentally selected to open .property files with Notepad. Cant unspecify now 9311292d-2e22-4096-9941-7834efad0959?upload=true.jpg

I accidentally selected to open .property files with Notepad. Cant unspecify now 4759e461-6b3d-48d5-8553-9e0c364b1507?upload=true.jpg

3. dig_dude Win User
    I accidentally changed my .csv/.exe files to open with Notepad. Other forum posts and answers aren't helping. Windows 10.

I was trying to open a .csv file and accidentally selected that I wanted to make Notepad my default program for opening similar files. Soon after all of my thumbnails for programs on my desktop turned to Notepad and no .exe files would run. I reset my
    default apps in settings and tried to change by file. .Exe isn't in the list of available changes and it won't let me change .csv to anything besides Notepad or Wordpad. I've seen other similar posts that have been fixed by selecting a file and trying something
    with the "Open with" option but that does not appear for me.

Any help to solve this problem for Windows 10 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

dig_dude, May 10, 2020
  4. I accidentally selected to open .property files with Notepad. Cant unspecify now

ALL my files and folders opens with notepad

Hi Sabrina,

Files may open in notepad or other applications if the file associations is not configured correctly. File association is a setting where you choose a program that can open a certain file. For example, for .docx files, you can set it to be opened through
    Microsoft Word and once you open a file with that extension, it should open with the app that you set.

To better isolate the issue, please provide us more information by answering the questions below:

• What are the specific files affected?
    • What is the extension of the files? You may check this by right-clicking on the file itself then click
      Properties. The information should be in the Type of File
      field.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Katrina Men, May 10, 2020
Thema:

I accidentally selected to open .property files with Notepad. Cant unspecify now

1. I accidentally selected to open .property files with Notepad. Cant unspecify now - Similar Threads - accidentally selected open

2. I accidentally selected "always open these files in word" when I should have selected...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally selected "always open these files in word" when I should have selected...: It may seem a simple question but for me it is a major issue. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-selected-always-open-these-files-in/246a517e-87ae-4e1b-9db1-b0deaa653c78
  3. I accidentally selected "always open these files in word" when I should have selected...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I accidentally selected "always open these files in word" when I should have selected...: It may seem a simple question but for me it is a major issue. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-selected-always-open-these-files-in/246a517e-87ae-4e1b-9db1-b0deaa653c78
  4. I accidentally made it so that notepad always opens for .frag files.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I accidentally made it so that notepad always opens for .frag files.: I accidentally made it so that notepad always opens for .frag files, but when i went to change it by using "Choose default apps by file type" in the settings, i only got two options: Notepad which i do not want, or search in the Microsoft Store which has nothing that helps. I...
  5. I accidentally made it so that notepad always opens for .frag files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally made it so that notepad always opens for .frag files.: I accidentally made it so that notepad always opens for .frag files, but when i went to change it by using "Choose default apps by file type" in the settings, i only got two options: Notepad which i do not want, or search in the Microsoft Store which has nothing that helps. I...
  6. I accidentally made it so that notepad always opens for .frag files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I had a notepad file that I accidentally deleted text.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I had a notepad file that I accidentally deleted text.: I had a notepad file that I accidentally deleted text from and then saved using the same file name, is there any way to get it back ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-had-a-notepad-file-that-i-accidentally-deleted/c796441b-a0b6-43e4-b351-86f80235e245
  8. .dat files now open only with notepad

.dat files now open only with notepad: Hey! Actually, .dat now opens up with only and only notepad. I don't know, how to change that to the no software as default. Please, help me with that....
  9. Files opening with Notepad

Files opening with Notepad: i have a issue where all my .rpf files are opening with notepad. how would i get them back to normal? the icon was a white piece of paper before if its any help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-opening-with-notepad/97a85f6f-c2f4-43a6-9c92-1e4e69ddaf28
  10. Cant open notepad as admin

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cant open notepad as admin: Since the last update, I can no longer open notepad or Wordpad as admin Right-clicking gives me the option to run as admin but it does not open. I need the option to modify the host's file. I also tried creating another user with admin powers but still no good For what...