Windows 10: I accidentally turned off the "What device did you plug in" prompt

Discus and support I accidentally turned off the "What device did you plug in" prompt in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Whenever I plug in a microphone, headphones, or earbuds, a popup asks me to select which thing I've plugged in. This is helpful for if I'm using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/EchoLoco2, Feb 13, 2020.

1. I accidentally turned off the "What device did you plug in" prompt

Whenever I plug in a microphone, headphones, or earbuds, a popup asks me to select which thing I've plugged in. This is helpful for if I'm using over-ear vs in-ear or headphones vs a headset and so on. I accidentally clicked the "do not show again" button. I've tried to find how to fix this on google but I can't find anything. If someone can tell me how to reverse this that would be great! Thanks!

submitted by /u/EchoLoco2
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/EchoLoco2, Feb 13, 2020

2. Device Installer Prompt

Hi,

To get better clarity on the issue, kindly answer the questions below:

• Upon plugging in the USB to VGA adapter, are you able to see it on the File Explorer?
    • Have you tried plugging the USB to VGA adapter to the other computer? Does it give you the Device Installer Prompt?

We will need to reset your Autoplay settings and reconfigure it. To do this, kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard.
    • Click Control Panel.
    • On the Control Panel, choose Hardware and Sounds.
    • Click AutoPlay.
    • On the lower part, click Reset all defaults.
    • Restart your computer.

After the restart, plug in the USB to VGA adapter, then check if it prompt.

Let us know it goes.

Monica Cam, Feb 13, 2020
  3. HojabrA Win User
    I don't have any bluetooth devices but windows turned it on!!

1. I have no bluetooth devices in devices manager.
    2,3,4. they all turned off before.

reboot or shutdown doesn't solved it.
    i have USB wireless Mouse/Keyborad. i plug it out and use PS/2 but nothing.
    i used DISM to repair image.

i tried everything but its not make any changes and windows still showing Bluetooth turned on.
    a few days ago it was not even showing Bluetooth in Action Center but i don't understand what happened, no devices added or changed in my PC, no software Installed or Uninstalled, not a single Settings Changed in Windows or BIOS!!!

HojabrA, Feb 13, 2020
  4. I accidentally turned off the "What device did you plug in" prompt

Device Manager Un-Hiding Hidden Devices

When you connect a plug and play device, Windows Plug and Play manager detects it, finds and installs the driver. Device Manager lists the device with a solid icon.

The driver is only removed when you uninstall the device, not simply by disconnecting the device. When the device is disconnected, its driver is still installed. By default, Device Manager only displays connected devices. When you show hidden devices, note the Bluetooth icon you see is semi-transparent (not opaque). That indicates a "non-present" device. Sometimes also called a "ghost" device. The driver is still installed but the device is not currently detected (i.e. not connected).

Device can be disconnected when
    • Device unplugged (e.g. removing a USB device)
    • Turning a device OFF
    • Disabling the device in BIOS (then windows won't detect it) or
    • Device failure

So
    • Check BIOS as suggested
    • Check board connections
    • Can b/t be turned off by a switch? or keyboard combination?
    Also possible the b/t h/w failed

ComputerGeek, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

I accidentally turned off the "What device did you plug in" prompt

1. I accidentally turned off the "What device did you plug in" prompt - Similar Threads - accidentally turned off

2. not getting "what device did you plug in" popup

in Windows 10 Customization
    not getting "what device did you plug in" popup: so, recently i sold my laptop, the person i sold it to updated it to windows 11, after he then asked to send it back and for a refund because it doesn't have a harddrive i stuck with windows 11 for a while because i didn't know how to go to windows 10, i then went to...
  3. not getting "what device did you plug in" popup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not getting "what device did you plug in" popup: so, recently i sold my laptop, the person i sold it to updated it to windows 11, after he then asked to send it back and for a refund because it doesn't have a harddrive i stuck with windows 11 for a while because i didn't know how to go to windows 10, i then went to...
  4. not getting "what device did you plug in" popup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I stop the "which device did you just plug in?" prompts everytime I plug my...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop the "which device did you just plug in?" prompts everytime I plug my...: Every time I plug my headphones in, I get this prompt asking me which device I plugged in and I have to click on "OK" everytime. It's super annoying and sometimes I misclick, causing the notification to go away and me having to re-plug the headphones. How do I make it...
  6. "What Audio Device Did you plug in?" Menu is missing...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "What Audio Device Did you plug in?" Menu is missing...: Hello all, On windows 7, there used to be this menu that would come up anytime you plugged something into the 3.5 mm audio jack, asking you if it was a headphone, line in, etc. This seems to be missing from Windows10 - how can I enable this, or something similar? I record...
  7. How to disable "Which device did you plug in?" Prompt.

How to disable "Which device did you plug in?" Prompt.: I've read a lot of queries asking how to disable the obnoxious prompt and have figured out a method of doing so without control panel. This is done on Windows 10. Go to the settings application by pressing the windows key or clicking the windows icon at the bottom left...
  8. How to disable "Which Device Did You Plug In?" Prompt thread

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to disable "Which Device Did You Plug In?" Prompt thread: I've recently purchased a new laptop and every time I plug in the headphones it annoys me with "Which Device Did You Plug In?" prompt. Today was the day I had enough of it and I decided to try and fix it, but after 3 hours straight of seeing old posts with outdated windows...
  9. "What did you just plug in?" prompt not appearing

"What did you just plug in?" prompt not appearing: I have been trying to use headphones on my laptop. They haven't been working and I believe this is because the "what did you just plug in?" prompt is not appearing when I plug them into the audio jack. How do I get this prompt back? I am using Windows 10....
  10. 'what device did you just plug in' popup

'what device did you just plug in' popup: Hello, In the past I had used headphones (no microphone) with my windows 10 laptop. Back then a popup would come up saying 'what device have you plugged in' every time I plugged them into the jack. However I clicked the 'do not display' icon so now when I want to use my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 not asking what did you plug in

2. which device did you plug in

3. which devi did you plug in

4. which device did you plug in prompt reenable,
  5. which device did you plug in prompt