Windows 10: I accidently moved the desktop folders location to my user profile/administrator folder

Discus and support I accidently moved the desktop folders location to my user profile/administrator folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Now after resetting my pc and trying for a whole day, I can't figure out how to undo it. This is how it happened, I went into my desktop properties,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Angry_birdWaleed, Aug 23, 2020.

1. I accidently moved the desktop folders location to my user profile/administrator folder

Now after resetting my pc and trying for a whole day, I can't figure out how to undo it.

This is how it happened, I went into my desktop properties, to location tab, when changing it, it went back to previous parent folder, where my default user profiles are saved, i thought desktop would be saved with these folders, little did i know, it made my user profile my desktop folder and now i have searched the whole internet trying to find a solution but can't. Now my desktop and user profile folder which you access by going into C/Users/Administrator, are both the same. By user profile i mean administrator.

:)

Angry_birdWaleed, Aug 23, 2020
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Aug 23, 2020
  3. Setting New Location Of User Folder to another User Folder

Hi Renee,

Having an easy access to the Desktop folder can give you a convenience on opening your files. Regarding your concern about the Desktop folder that was moved to the Downloads section, we recommend that you create a new local user or administrator account to
    resolve the issue.

To create a local user or administrator account, follow the steps listed on this
    link

In addition, to move your files from the Downloads folder back to the Desktop folder, we suggest that you manually copy and paste the files to avoid any data loss.

Feel free to post back if you need more help.

Eileen Gal, Aug 23, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

I accidently moved the desktop folders location to my user profile/administrator folder

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

Thema:

I accidently moved the desktop folders location to my user profile/administrator folder

1. I accidently moved the desktop folders location to my user profile/administrator folder - Similar Threads - accidently moved desktop

2. Users folder and Profile folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Users folder and Profile folder: Hello,What are the advantages and disadvantages of deleting the Users main folder and User Folder?I have heard that it will delete viruses or that kind of things!Sorry if it sounds a dumb questionGreetings...
  3. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...: I've lost the contents of the "Pictures" folder, and a folder named "Desktop" but the contents are in the folder named "Pictures" in my wife's account trying to move them from the C to D drive.To free up space on the C drive, I began moving my wife's default folders to the D...
  4. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...: I've lost the contents of the "Pictures" folder, and a folder named "Desktop" but the contents are in the folder named "Pictures" in my wife's account trying to move them from the C to D drive.To free up space on the C drive, I began moving my wife's default folders to the D...
  5. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop: Hello,Surprisingly, since yesterday, there is a duplicate folder of my user:/profile on the desktop. The files in it are the same as in my C:\Users folder and I am afraid, deleting the folder from the desktop will delete the C:\Users folder too.Can someone help?Regards,Arup...
  7. Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop: Hello,Surprisingly, since yesterday, there is a duplicate folder of my user:/profile on the desktop. The files in it are the same as in my C:\Users folder and I am afraid, deleting the folder from the desktop will delete the C:\Users folder too.Can someone help?Regards,Arup...
  8. Accidently merged desktop folder with user folder renaming user folder

Accidently merged desktop folder with user folder renaming user folder: while trying to move Desktop folder from one drive to another I accidently merged the two. I then followed the directions in the following link and succeeded in separating the two using registry...
  9. I accidently merged My User folder and My Downloads folder.

I accidently merged My User folder and My Downloads folder.: I merged my User folder named lenovo with my Downloads folder accidentally. This is how my Users folder looks. I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ lenovois the name of my user folder. Now I have a...
  10. Accidently moved my documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidently moved my documents folder: I was scrolling through my file explorer and I think I accidently dragged my Documents folder to the desktop folder. Now I'm not sure where it is supposed to be. When my usual scheduled backup ran, I received a message that this folder could not be backed up. The file...