Windows 10: I almost downloaded a virus, cancelled the download, the windows defender found it and an...

Discus and support I almost downloaded a virus, cancelled the download, the windows defender found it and an... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I was browsing the internet and end up on a site with a lot of popups that are obviously viruses. as I'm leaving the site, i notice a download is going... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by fuggetaboutit, Jun 19, 2019.

1. I almost downloaded a virus, cancelled the download, the windows defender found it and an...

I was browsing the internet and end up on a site with a lot of popups that are obviously viruses. as I'm leaving the site, i notice a download is going on for a file called "This computer is BLOCKED.htm". the entire file size was downloaded (for example, 25.5 MB/25.5 MB) but the download wasn't being completed. i canceled the download and after a few minutes, i get a Windows Defender message saying it removed some malware. i checked the report and it turns out to be the very same file. i guess that's why it never completed despite downloading all the contents of the file- Windows Defender stopped it in its tracks. Windows Defender quarantined it but it also had an error. "The program could not find the malware and other potentially unwanted software on this computer." if WD couldn't find the malware then why does it say the malware was quarantined? Is this because i canceled the download? i cleared my cache on chrome (where i downloaded it) installed Malwarebytes and did a full scan with it and a quick scan on Windows Defender. The file seems to be gone but I'm still worried about the error message. am i in the clear?

:)

fuggetaboutit, Jun 19, 2019
  2. FredDryg Win User

Defender: Can't download software. File recognized as a virus.

This has been the most exasperating experience I have had since I started windows ten. I have not asked to use "OUTLOOK" but it keep's interjecting it into any interface I have with Microsoft.

I can't even replace Windows Defender.

When I consider the difficulty of administrating "Defender" it makes the case for buying another Protection Software system. I have worked with PC's since DOS in 19xx. I live on Microsoft Office.

DEFENDER won't even let me remove it. I have to understand the intricacy of identifying myself as the Administrator of my PC.

A step by step list of how to replace Defender would be appreciated.

Fred

FredDryg, Jun 19, 2019
  3. malware Win User
    New Virus Comes Disguised as IE7 Download

If you receive an e-mail offering a download of Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2, delete it. A new virus is spreading all over the web. The e-mail includes a convincing graphic that looks like it could really be from Microsoft, and the virus is delivered when recipients click on the included link. The e-mails carry the subject line "Internet Explorer 7 Downloads" and appear to come from admin@microsoft.com. They include a blue, Microsoft-style graphic offering a download of IE 7 beta 2. Clicking the graphic will download an executable file called IE 7.exe. The file is actually a new virus called Virus.Win32.Grum. Security experts are still trying to analyze the virus, which may affect your registry, mail contact list or steal personal information from your computer.

Source: Network World

malware, Jun 19, 2019
  4. I almost downloaded a virus, cancelled the download, the windows defender found it and an...

Windows Defender marks all downloads as virus

Windows Defender marks all downloads as virus (download contained virus and was deleted)

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

PallMagnusson, Jun 19, 2019
Thema:

I almost downloaded a virus, cancelled the download, the windows defender found it and an...

1. I almost downloaded a virus, cancelled the download, the windows defender found it and an... - Similar Threads - almost downloaded virus

2. i want to cancel the download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i want to cancel the download: I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH RAM ON MY PC ALL IN ONE HOW DO I CANCEL THE DOWNLOAD ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-cancel-the-download/df8db38d-c8a9-4fb2-b06c-e1bc896b4194
  3. i want to cancel the download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i want to cancel the download: I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH RAM ON MY PC ALL IN ONE HOW DO I CANCEL THE DOWNLOAD ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-cancel-the-download/df8db38d-c8a9-4fb2-b06c-e1bc896b4194
  4. i downloaded virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i downloaded virus: i downloaded virus and i deleted all the files and its okay now but in my windows protection history it says remediation incomplete, status: failed and i cant delete the protection history because it says you need permission from system, i tried to edit my permissions in...
  5. i downloaded virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i downloaded virus: i downloaded virus and i deleted all the files and its okay now but in my windows protection history it says remediation incomplete, status: failed and i cant delete the protection history because it says you need permission from system, i tried to edit my permissions in...
  6. i downloaded virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. I downloaded a virus

I downloaded a virus: Hello, I downloaded a virus and my windows defender detected it but before i knew it was a virus i ran it and now the defender doesent remove it when i click start actions. so I try to download a antivirus like avast but it crashes my browser instantly. anyone have a fix?...
  8. scan failed virus found cant download

scan failed virus found cant download: hi i can t download anything on my PC be it a PDF attachment in an email or a software program that i have paid for? ideas? Help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scan-failed-virus-found-cant-download/3fc6393c-3b89-4ad4-a1dc-2d49ae246219
  9. Windows Defender says everything I download is a virus

Windows Defender says everything I download is a virus: So, I don't know when this really started but it began in 2020 I think. Whenever I download a file from the internet whether its custom content for my games or images my laptop windows defender scans and automatically says everything is a virus and deletes it. I purchased a...
  10. Windows Defender not downloading virus definitions.

Windows Defender not downloading virus definitions.: Windows Defender is giving me the error code - 0x80240016.. Please help. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-windows_10/windows-defender-not-downloading-virus-definitions/d37f3158-cc91-4efe-b8d6-99ffa06ba509