Windows 10: I am Administrator but I can't Log-in as such!

Discus and support I am Administrator but I can't Log-in as such! in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I set up my wife's spare computer Windows 10 a few months ago and my first name is listed as the Administrator of her computer. I can't sign-in as... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by RustyOenz, Aug 7, 2020.

1. RustyOenz Win User

I am Administrator but I can't Log-in as such!

I set up my wife's spare computer Windows 10 a few months ago and my first name is listed as the Administrator of her computer. I can't sign-in as Administrator using my current Microsoft Password or using any of my old Microsoft passwords as when I try to sign in as Administrator I get a message "The user name or password is incorrect". I don't remember setting up any other password. Unfortunately, my wife is a "user" on her computer but she does NOT have administrative privileges. If I could sign in as Administrator, I could grant her administrative privileges. My OWN computer is fine, and I can sign in as Administrator just fine.

If it's not possible for me to sign-in to grant her Administrative privileges, can I delete all users and start over again with her as the Administrator? I won't need to reinstall Windows to do this, Right? She has no personal data on the computer, and only easily downloadable free programs installed...Firefox, Chrome, Media Player, etc.

:)

RustyOenz, Aug 7, 2020

2. Windows 10 Administrator's Permission Needed. I AM THE ONLY USER!

Hi Quinton,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern that you are unable to play the game Civilization IV Gold Edition after upgrade to Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

Please do let us know the following information to understand the issue and assist you better:

• As you have already created new user account, have you tried to log-in with that account and access the game?
    • Is this issue confined only to the specific game?

I suggest you to try few of the below steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: I suggest you to check the number of user accounts created on your laptop and also to ascertain the administrator account.

• Press Windows + R key together on your desktop screen.
    • Type netplwiz and hit Enter.

Step 2: Enable Built-in administrator.

I suggest you to enable built-in administrator account, try to log-in with that account and access the game to check if there is any issues with the current user account.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
    • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt.
    • Type the following command and hit Enter: net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    • Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.
    Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Hope it helps. Try the above troubleshooting steps, reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 7, 2020
  3. I have updates to do on my laptop but i am being asked to sign in as administrator but i am unable to do this. There is no option.

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

At this point, I suggest you to check if the user account you are logged into is an administrator account or not. If not, I suggest you to login to the computer
    Administrator account.

Secondly, I suggest you to check if there are any other user account in your computer with admin privileges.

To do so, open Advanced User Accounts Control Panel to check all the user accounts created in the computer. Please follow the below steps.

• Press the Windows key and R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box.
    • Enter netplwiz

Kindly keep us posted.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 7, 2020
  4. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

1. I am Administrator but I can't Log-in as such! - Similar Threads - Administrator can't Log

2. I *AM* the Administrator!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I *AM* the Administrator!: How can I convince my computer that I really am the administrator? I own the darned thing, no one else uses it, who ELSE would be the Administrator? Yet, when attempting certain tasks, it tells me that only an Administrator can do that. Then it presents me with a button that...
  3. I *AM* the Administrator!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I *AM* the Administrator!: How can I convince my computer that I really am the administrator? I own the darned thing, no one else uses it, who ELSE would be the Administrator? Yet, when attempting certain tasks, it tells me that only an Administrator can do that. Then it presents me with a button that...
  4. I *AM* the Administrator!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Am I an Administrator?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Am I an Administrator?: If I go, to Settings/Accounts. There is my picture, my email address. And, in big letters, Administrator.But I'm often, installing, deleting something.And I see. Must be an, Administrator.So how, do I change it. Get Administrator rights?This is, my computer. So, having,...
  6. Administrator Or Am I

Administrator Or Am I: Hi, I want to delete some software off my pc. However, the uninstall wizard stops during the uninstall, with an error message telling me I'm not the administrator. In addition, my PC only has one accountprofile and I'm the administrator? Any help on this would be great....
  7. I am logged in as Administrator but am not allowed to perform Administrator tasks

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am logged in as Administrator but am not allowed to perform Administrator tasks: I use Windows 10 Home. Each time I want to move a file/folder, it says "You'll need Administrative approval to move this folder." Today, Defrag stopped working. I opened the Run box and styped SFC/Scannow. I was told that only the Administrator has the right to do this....
  8. log in picture and name edit ( I am the administrator

log in picture and name edit ( I am the administrator: Hi got my computer re-formatted back to original. new hard drive Windows 10 when he set it up under my login picture and name when you change user and in the my info section he spelt my name wrong which does my head in. how do I edit it please I have tried all the...
  9. Can't log in as administrator

Can't log in as administrator: Can't log in as administrator. No suggested remedies work because I only get a NO option in the Change User Account Settings dialog box and it keeps telling me to log in as an administrator but I don't seem to have an administrator account anymore....
  10. Can't log in as administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't log in as administrator: I did a clean install with FCU 1709. I am logged in as Local Account Administrator. When I try to log in with Microsoft Account, It says that a user on this PC already has a Microsoft Account with this E-Mail address. What am I doing wrong? I had this address before the clean...