Windows 10: I am an idiot and messed up the permissions on my PC.

Discus and support I am an idiot and messed up the permissions on my PC. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] When i got this PC a couple years back, i didn't really set up a user properly. So it just logs in as "HOME". Everything was working fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/townsa9, Jun 30, 2020.

1. I am an idiot and messed up the permissions on my PC.

I am an idiot and messed up the permissions on my PC. rM_p7THlL4ds6nUGQpL9ye6T7MeAAIX4lkqA-x4buKI.jpg

When i got this PC a couple years back, i didn't really set up a user properly. So it just logs in as "HOME".

Everything was working fine until i removed myself as an Administrator.

Now when i go into Users and find HOME, im not even a member of the Users group.

https://preview.redd.it/9ndvpq26v18...bp&s=a8b66128f0e90c583cc35b41fb60cd380e963ed0

This is stopping me from doing a few things like opening Revo Uninstaller or even getting to my Network settings.

The administrator account is disabled and due to me not having any permissions i cant activate the account.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

submitted by /u/townsa9
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/townsa9, Jun 30, 2020
  2. yahanna Win User

HELP - Idiot Msft Tech Fudged Up My PC

Some idiot tech at msft fudged up my PC over an issue I was having. I couldn't boot to my desktop after that. So I inserted my installation disk to install a fresh new copy. For some reason I got an error saying, "we couldn't create a new partition. Error: 0xe6774cc0." To correct this, I entered the following commands from a youtube video in command prompt:

-Diskpart
    -List disk
    -Select disk x
    -Clean

After that I got a bunch of drives created which was weird... see image. How do I delete all these drives and just install a fresh new copy of win 10?

I am an idiot and messed up the permissions on my PC. [​IMG]

I am an idiot and messed up the permissions on my PC. [​IMG]

yahanna, Jun 30, 2020
  3. silkstone Win User
    Windows 7 - Messed up permissions

So, while trying to delete some folders, i ended up messing up permissions for all of my folders.

I cannot use things like MSconfig.exe, it tells me settings cannot be saved. Word gives me errors and is unable to save to the normal.dot template, and when i restart my computer it hangs before the desktop unless i press one of the F-keys (not sure which one as i mash them).
    -pressing the F-key here does not give me a menu, it just allows windows to load for some strange reason. While windows is loading, if i do not press the f-key the computer crashes and i cannot even ctr-alt-del to restart.

Is there any way to reset permissions to default?

I am on an administrator account and UAC is off. I know a re-install will fix it all, but it's annoying to have to do that *Frown I am an idiot and messed up the permissions on my PC. :(

silkstone, Jun 30, 2020
  4. erixx Win User

I am an idiot and messed up the permissions on my PC.

Windows 7 - Messed up permissions

Forget it and get Windows 8! *Smile I am an idiot and messed up the permissions on my PC. :)

Messing with permissions is really for advanced users, you can't win the Kernel with a crowbar *Smile I am an idiot and messed up the permissions on my PC. :)

erixx, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

I am an idiot and messed up the permissions on my PC.

1. I am an idiot and messed up the permissions on my PC. - Similar Threads - idiot messed permissions

2. I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/: So I've been having applications acting strangely, where I would have to launch steam as admin to play certain multiplayer games etc.. Now I'm trying to make a game in Unreal Engine 4.27 and it won't let me export it!! I was messing with the settings on some permissions...
  3. I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/: So I've been having applications acting strangely, where I would have to launch steam as admin to play certain multiplayer games etc.. Now I'm trying to make a game in Unreal Engine 4.27 and it won't let me export it!! I was messing with the settings on some permissions...
  4. File permissions totally messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File permissions totally messed up: I was transferring data from my ssd to another computer, so I plugged in my ssd to another computer using an external drive. When I tried to access the ssd, it gave me "you don't currently have permission to access this folder" so I clicked continue to get permanent access....
  5. I've messed up my pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I've messed up my pc: I accidentally installed a virus and now I'm in a auto repair loop I've tried everything in videos I've seen to get out of this but nothing has worked. Is there anything I could do? submitted by /u/cyka_blyat_doz_memz [link] [comments]...
  6. Computer's permissions messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer's permissions messed up: I downloaded Cisco WebEx Meetings for an interview and now my computer's permissions are all messed up. I am unable to access things that require administrator access like command prompt. I was also unable to run an executable I downloaded, update one of my games, and can't...
  7. I Messed Up My First PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I Messed Up My First PC: Messed up my first PC I was almost done installing windows to my SSD from my usb. But I accidentally pressed the restart button on my pc. Now every time I rearrange my boot priority, i get the same message. “The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected...
  8. HELP - Idiot Msft Tech Fudged Up My PC

in Windows 10 Support
    HELP - Idiot Msft Tech Fudged Up My PC: Some idiot tech at msft fudged up my PC over an issue I was having. I couldn't boot to my desktop after that. So I inserted my installation disk to install a fresh new copy. For some reason I got an error saying, "we couldn't create a new partition. Error: 0xe6774cc0." To...
  9. I messed with User permissions..

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I messed with User permissions..: Hi, While trying to delete the old windows files after an upgrade it kept denying deletion because TrustedInstaller wouldn't allow it so I tried to change ownership from TrustedInstaller to to administrators group and things went down hill from here. apparently a 2nd group...
  10. messed up permissions windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    messed up permissions windows 10: Hello all, Dave here. I have done something that I have done before, with windows 7 on down. I had a laptop that had a broken power port, and the battery went dead. I ordered a new power socket. While I was waiting for parts, the owner wanted files off of it. I removed hard...