Windows 10: I am at a dead end

Discus and support I am at a dead end in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello to everyone and I hope that you are doing well I happen to have an old system with the following specs: CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 GPU: Geforce... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TangoHotelLima, Feb 9, 2021.

1. I am at a dead end

Hello to everyone and I hope that you are doing well

I happen to have an old system with the following specs:

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 GPU: Geforce 9600 GT RAM: 2GB DDR2 800Mhz MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L PSU: A very cheap one

This system used to work as it should. Then, one day, when I booted it up and got into (then) Windows 7, the screen froze and there were some red, green and blue lines across the desktop. I though that the GPU was done for, so I put it in the closet and forgot about it.

Fast forward a year, I am studying mathematics, and I need my old pc to play, at least, some games, in order to not go mental. I get an SSD that I had laying around, clear the CMOS, and start the formatting process. The thing is, that, everything is SO slow. Like, unbelievably slow.

I know that it isn't a mid-end machine, let alone a high-end one, and that it will be relatively slow, but now, even compared to yester times, it is freakishly slow. Even when installing windows, the process would take double the amount of time that it normally needed. Folder windows inside Windows 10 would leave pretty big trails (as if my refresh rate was low), Edge wouldn't even open and some other similar things.

Now the weirdest part is, that, my CPU would be at 99% almost every time. Opening Task Manager was a challenge on it's own, since even that brought the CPU back up to 99%.

I honestly have run out of ideas. I unplugged all of the CD or floppy drives and the only storage media that is connected is the SSD.

My guess is that, the GPU is dead, and only works as a signal output, and that the CPU is trying to do the GPU's work as well (which might explain why trying to open Edge is impossible, since it is graphically accelerated).

Any advice will be appreciated

Thank you to everyone in advance!

Note: I doubt that this is the right subReddit to post this on to, so, if there is a more appropriate one, please inform me in order to post it over there.

submitted by /u/TangoHotelLima
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TangoHotelLima, Feb 9, 2021
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Moving Unallocated Disk Space to End of Disk

Was commenting on the pic in post #21. Not suggesting anything. It just looked like the step you were doing was incomplete.

f14tomcat, Feb 9, 2021
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    win10 dead end, on latest update ?

Hi there

@Berton

Well I've moved slightly beyond this :

I am at a dead end [​IMG]

and this

or using these for input !!!! on an IBM mainframe running TSO -- these cards had to be punched with a hand held punching machine --highly error prone though.

actually Windows 3.11 (for workgroups) wasn't too bad for its day though !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 9, 2021
  4. I am at a dead end

Random Restars - > Video Card - > PSU

i try but find no info. itd help if someone explained it.. tbh.

TrAiN^WrEcK, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

I am at a dead end

1. I am at a dead end - Similar Threads - dead end

2. Windows 11 File Explorer: "Please sign in" dead end

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer: "Please sign in" dead end: File Explorer on Windows 11 stopped showing my Quick Access "Home" favorites and I noticed a a small "Please sign in" message in top right. However, when I click on it, I am asked to sign in, which I do with 2FA. It seems to accept my credentials b/c it subsequently asks for...
  3. Windows 11 File Explorer: "Please sign in" dead end

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer: "Please sign in" dead end: File Explorer on Windows 11 stopped showing my Quick Access "Home" favorites and I noticed a a small "Please sign in" message in top right. However, when I click on it, I am asked to sign in, which I do with 2FA. It seems to accept my credentials b/c it subsequently asks for...
  4. Dead-end Problem Windows 10 NDIS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dead-end Problem Windows 10 NDIS: Facing error since & sometimes - just now discovered "what's it?!" :- problem starts with Unplugging or Pluging-in USB DeviceWireless Network Adapter TP-Link with its driver or RealtekLatest Driver - sometimes it gets stuck & DEADLY - in manner - no Restart or Shut Down will...
  5. Dead-end Problem Windows 10 NDIS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dead-end Problem Windows 10 NDIS: Facing error since & sometimes - just now discovered "what's it?!" :- problem starts with Unplugging or Pluging-in USB DeviceWireless Network Adapter TP-Link with its driver or RealtekLatest Driver - sometimes it gets stuck & DEADLY - in manner - no Restart or Shut Down will...
  6. Dead-end Problem Windows 10 NDIS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Have dead end shortcuts auto deleted on click?

in Windows 10 Support
    Have dead end shortcuts auto deleted on click?: Is there any way to have shortcuts whose file/folder no longer exists be deleted when you click them, instead of showing that "Problem with shortcut message" , then delete it. basically skip a step? EDIT: I guess I should go into more detail, I made a batch script that...
  8. Microsoft Flight Sim Copyright questions lots of dead-ends...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Flight Sim Copyright questions lots of dead-ends...: I'm in the process of building some training materials for trainee pilots and want to use screen recordings of MS Flight Sim - potentially commercially. There are bits and pieces that refer to commercial licensing, use of media but nothing concrete. I've read a thread that...
  9. Troubleshooting non-boot Windows 10 -have tried other forums but hit dead end...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Troubleshooting non-boot Windows 10 -have tried other forums but hit dead end...: Hi PC has recently stopped booting. I got the "preparing active repair" spinning dots but cant get past them I have tried creating a windows 10 bootable USB using the media creation tool, which it reads but then ended in a blue screen and wont go further Any further...
  10. win10 dead end, on latest update ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win10 dead end, on latest update ?: Hi All. Trying to install the latest update. Ok going through the pages, I get the following.. Select or connect an external storage drive with at least 10 Gb free: Next page says .. External storage device ( D : ) 26.2 Gb Free... Also, at the bottom of the same page it...