Windows 10: I am being forced to change my pin.

Discus and support I am being forced to change my pin. in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; As I continue to use my pin to get into my computer when it's locked, around every 6 weeks a notification will come up that my organization requires me... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by jadencove, Aug 3, 2020.

1. jadencove Win User

I am being forced to change my pin.

As I continue to use my pin to get into my computer when it's locked, around every 6 weeks a notification will come up that my organization requires me to change my pin. I have tried to do letters and change settings around this to make a more secure password thinking this was the issue but it doesn't allow letters and there are no obvious or adjustable settings. This reset is inconvenient and has led me to using all of my usual passwords that I may remember. I saw a thread on this in this community from the past but this was in 2017 and the solutions given didn't work today. I would like to be able to make a permanent password that doesn't expire randomly and to be able to choose when I change it rather than being prompted and forced to!

:)

jadencove, Aug 3, 2020

2. Why am I being forced to change my PIN?

Thank you for the update. Since none of the policies was enabled nor configured, we can say that the PIN requirements that you are seeing are the minimum requirements. Have you tried enabling or disabling some of the policies to check if the PIN requirements
    (Must be at least 4 digits long and can't be a number pattern (such as 123456 or 11111).) are still present when setting up a PIN?

With PIN Complexity, your PIN will be even tougher to crack. However, if you prefer to use a simple PIN (0000, 0123, 1111, and so on), you may want to post your feedback or even make a suggestion using the Feedback Hub. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft
    responses on the submissions in the Feedback Hub, so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. You may refer to the steps below:

• Type Windows Feedback in the search bar.
    • Type some keywords from your issue in the box marked Search for feedback, and press
      Enter.
    • If you find your issue, upvote it. If you don't find it, select Add new feedback, then fill out the form.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Why am I being forced to change my PIN?

It is possible that PIN Complexity Group Policy is enabled. You can enforce a policy where users will be required to create a strong complex PIN to sign in. The Group Policy Editor is available in Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and
    Windows 10 Education editions only. To configure PIN Complexity Group Policy in Windows 10, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + R, type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following setting:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates >
      Windows Components > Windows Hello for Business >
      PIN Complexity
    • Here you will see the following settings that are available:
      • Require digits
      • Require lowercase letters
      • Maximum PIN length
      • Minimum PIN length
      • Expiration
      • History
      • Require special characters
      • Require uppercase letters
    • Double-click on each of the settings to open the configuration box. Go through the options carefully before you enable or disable them.

Once you enable or disable these policies, users will be required to change the PIN and depending on the policies you have set, users will see the PIN requirements that you may have set.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Aug 3, 2020
  4. IntRins2 Win User

Why am I being forced to change my PIN?

I had tried altering the policy settings on the original installation without success. I had not tried it on the rebuild because I suspected it would cause problems. Rightly so, as I have now tried it.

On the one hand, I can allow alpha sequences, "aaaa" is accepted. This is crazy, why is this OK when "1234" is not? But then plain numeric PINs are disallowed, at least one alpha is required (not just permitted), so the existing accounts which were still
    working OK are being forced to change their PINs. Removing the requirements does not get out of this trap, the PINs have been invalidated.

And also, an Enter key is required, a completed PIN is no longer detected automatically. This does not work for me, because I am trying to sign in blind, without seeing the lock screen and PIN dialog box. This is because the screen blanking on switching
    user causes my monitor to go to sleep for some long time before it redisplays, and I don't need to wait for it if I can just keep hitting the required key until I get into the session. No doubt that's a minority issue, but there is no need to force a "more
    secure" PIN on people who don't need it, just because some noisy corporate types have been shouting. My PC is in a safe place and only I use it, it doesn't need any more security.

I have now reverted the PC to v1607/build 14393, removed it from the Insider program, and deferred feature upgrades to delay being subjected to this issue as far as possible. There's nothing in 1703 that I'll miss, quite the opposite, I'll go back to having
    CMD available in Explorer.

I have already posted in Feedback Hub, I will add a link to this thread.

IntRins2, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

1. I am being forced to change my pin. - Similar Threads - being forced change

2. Why am I being forced to change my PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I being forced to change my PIN: “Your organization is requiring you to change your PIN to meet minimum digit requirement.” Out of the blue message on the Lock Screen requiring me to change my PIN. I am not an organization. I do not belong to an organization. Why is there suddenly “an organization” dictating...
  3. Why am I being forced to change my PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why am I being forced to change my PIN: “Your organization is requiring you to change your PIN to meet minimum digit requirement.” Out of the blue message on the Lock Screen requiring me to change my PIN. I am not an organization. I do not belong to an organization. Why is there suddenly “an organization” dictating...
  4. forced pin change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    forced pin change: after so often, im forced to change my access pin. ive tried so many things but it keeps coming back. i dont have any school or biz acct on the computer. win 10 home edition help....
  5. forced pin change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    forced pin change: after so often, im forced to change my access pin. ive tried so many things but it keeps coming back. i dont have any school or biz acct on the computer. win 10 home edition help....
  6. why am i being forced to change my pin to the same pin?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why am i being forced to change my pin to the same pin?: Why when i logged in it told me I absolutly have to change my pin. I used the same pin. what is the point? I'm in the middle of a project and it wasted about an hour of my time....
  7. Why am I being forced to change my PIN?

Why am I being forced to change my PIN?: I am told that "my organisation" requires me to change my PIN. There is now a "PIN Requirements" link saying I need at least 5 digits and sequences not allowed. This is my own PC, not any organisations. I've had the same PIN quite happily for some long time and I don't want...
  8. why am I being force to use a pin number

in Windows 10 Customization
    why am I being force to use a pin number: Please let me know how to stop computer from asking for a pin number? why do you keep asking for me to get a pin number that I do not want? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-am-i-being-force-to-use-a-pin-number/730f9660-8686-460a-9f0c-88cd43d1ca78
  9. Why am I being forced to change my PIN number?

Why am I being forced to change my PIN number?: I am aware that this question has been previously asked, but it seems that this question was not fully answered. Since the password is only for logging into the computer itself, why does it appear that "my organization" required me to change my PIN number? I've only had my...
  10. I am being prompted to change my pin because of "my organization".

I am being prompted to change my pin because of "my organization".: I have owned my laptop for several years, it has never been a work computer or had any organization work on it. Yesterday when I went to enter my pin I was prompted that I needed to change my pin because of my organization and the pin requirements are for a longer pin. I have...