Windows 10: I am confused about my Microsoft Account and Authenticator...

Discus and support I am confused about my Microsoft Account and Authenticator... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; But First: YESS!! I got a prompt answer from a guy that helped me to remove the false/fake McAfee-prompts: "Clean the Chrome extensions"BUT on my way I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by kaare3, Jun 23, 2024.

1. kaare3 Win User

I am confused about my Microsoft Account and Authenticator...

But First: YESS!! I got a prompt answer from a guy that helped me to remove the false/fake McAfee-prompts: "Clean the Chrome extensions"BUT on my way I had to "visit Microsoft account or Authenticator" ?? I think I now ended up with 2 ea Microsoft account, and I do not know the connection between Microsoft Accoun and Authenticator: In the end I do not understand how I got through the jungle....And, earlier I got to choose whether my account was "work" or "private": What does tha mean? I am / was founder of my own company - and used/use my account both privat and work.

:)

kaare3, Jun 23, 2024

2. Windows Microsoft account authentication

I have a valid Microsoft account and a Windows 10 PC with Hello/PIN account login enabled. I also have the Microsoft Authenticator app installed on an iPhone and configured for the Microsoft account. Additionally, I have two step authentication configured
    for the Microsoft account. With all of that said, I have become very exasperated while trying to unravel the various authentication paths (and their security implications) through this multi level login security scheme. I find the associated account security
    documentation to be woefully inadequate. Thus, I would like to pose the following list of questions for starters.

1. Does Windows Hello/PIN amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

2. Does approving a Microsoft Authenticator login attempt (without two step verification explicitly set up)

amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

3. Does approving a Microsoft Authenticator login attempt (with two step verification explicitly set up)

amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

4. If answers to both 2 and 3 are yes, then what does explicit set up of two step authentication do?

5. Does a coherent, comprehensive document explaining Microsoft account security configuration exist somewhere?

6. If the answer to 5 is yes, wherer is it?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas E. Davis, Jun 23, 2024
  3. poit57 Win User
    Microsoft Account authentication

After more research, I have found my answer. It looks like the issue was that Microsoft released a new Microsoft Authenticator app with the features first introduced in Microsoft Authenticator Beta. The new app received a prompt to approve access to my Microsoft
    Account when signing on from a new PC, though I find it strange that the beta app wasn't directly upgraded to the new version of the app.

Microsoft now has three 2 step authentication apps available in the store for Windows 10 Mobile:

• Authenticator - original app from Windows Phone 8
    • Microsoft Authenticator Beta - originally released to Windows 10 users when Windows 10 Mobile was only available on the Windows Insider program.
    • Microsoft Authenticator - the official Windows 10 app no longer in beta

poit57, Jun 23, 2024
  4. Brink Win User

Microsoft Authenticator Account Backup and Recovery: Coming to iOS

Source: Microsoft Authenticator Account Backup and Recovery: Coming soon to an iOS device near you! Enterprise Mobility + Security

Brink, Jun 23, 2024
Thema:

1. I am confused about my Microsoft Account and Authenticator... - Similar Threads - confused Microsoft Account

2. I am confused about my Microsoft Account and Authenticator...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am confused about my Microsoft Account and Authenticator...: But First: YESS!! I got a prompt answer from a guy that helped me to remove the false/fake McAfee-prompts: "Clean the Chrome extensions"BUT on my way I had to "visit Microsoft account or Authenticator" ?? I think I now ended up with 2 ea Microsoft account, and I do not know...
  3. confused about account types

in Windows 10 Gaming
    confused about account types: I have a different name and password for each device that is associated with some type of account. I don't have to sign in to my Microsoft until I have to access the store or other random times. I am denied access to some OF MY OWN files on my main computer and have trouble...
  4. confused about account types

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    confused about account types: I have a different name and password for each device that is associated with some type of account. I don't have to sign in to my Microsoft until I have to access the store or other random times. I am denied access to some OF MY OWN files on my main computer and have trouble...
  5. confused about account types

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. I am confused about my processors according to apps on my Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am confused about my processors according to apps on my Laptop: Context:So I wanted to install Windows 10 Pro 64 bits. I checked the Windows default Settings application, I checked by Search>This PC>Right-click>Properties, it says I have a 32 bits system and a 64 bits based processor. Later on I checked System Information, it says my...
  7. I am confused about my processors according to apps on my Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am confused about my processors according to apps on my Laptop: Context:So I wanted to install Windows 10 Pro 64 bits. I checked the Windows default Settings application, I checked by Search>This PC>Right-click>Properties, it says I have a 32 bits system and a 64 bits based processor. Later on I checked System Information, it says my...
  8. Windows 10 is confused about my microsoft account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 is confused about my microsoft account.: When Windows 10 says I need to fix a problem with my Microsoft account it correctly displays my account email address, I enter the password and all is well until I try to do something which requires I sign in to my microsoft account. Then, it displays an Outlook email address...
  9. I want to make a new Microsoft account on my computer but I am confused.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I want to make a new Microsoft account on my computer but I am confused.: Hi not sure if this is a good title but around 2018 my older sister moved to Australia and didn't bring her PC with her and I was allowed to use it. August 2019 she came back and got a new laptop, so she didn't need the computer and then it was given to me instead since she...
  10. About microsoft Authenticator.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    About microsoft Authenticator.: how to log in without a password using microsoft authenticator in windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/about-microsoft-authenticator/0b7d95ac-8cbf-4f69-b82c-59e7bcbf6159"