Windows 10: I am having an issue opening a program I installed. When I launch the .exe it opens an old...

Discus and support I am having an issue opening a program I installed. When I launch the .exe it opens an old... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Okay, so I downloaded a program called LogixPro, it is a PLC emulator of an Allen Bradley And when I launch the .exe file of it It opens the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jackkindrick, Sep 1, 2020.

1. I am having an issue opening a program I installed. When I launch the .exe it opens an old...

Okay, so I downloaded a program called LogixPro, it is a PLC emulator of an Allen Bradley

And when I launch the .exe file of it

It opens the software, but it also stops the program and an installer pops up showing SolidWorks 2018

and it asks for the local file for the install because it can’t find it on my machine

and then the program hangs up and I must end task.

I got in contact with the developer of the software and he told me this....

I haven’t heard of this happening with Solid Works, but I have had numerous reports of a similar problem/symtoms from users of ACAD..

The problem can happen when multiple CDs are required for installing a software product, and in such cases the install software usually diverts the normal CD data stream so that it can determine if the correct CD is in the drive during the install process…. The problem/trouble arises if the installation fails/doesn’t complete, and the hook into CD data stream isn’t removed. Try to run LogixPro later on, and it looks to see if a LogixPro CD is in the drive,,,, and the leftover hook, takes control,,, and issues some directions as to what CD should be in the drive..

I suspect this is the problem you have, and running the Solid Works install without error should result in the hook being removed

And just to be clear I did not install this program from a disk, and I do not have SolidWorks currently installed on my computer.

:)

jackkindrick, Sep 1, 2020

2. Application .EXE doesn't launch installation, instead it opens IE.

Hello,

When I launch my application Icon "PEB.exe", it starts extracting then it opens in a new window : "internet explorer downloads"
    I see now my PEB shortcut in a list in this internet explorer window. It is now .JAR and i can't open it

Normally the .EXE is supposed to start the installation... not to open internet explorer...

How to instal my program without going through internet exlporer ?

Tank you

Tom

Tomywho005, Sep 1, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    How to Open old HLP files from Windows 10

@andylaode
    The easiest way to solve this problem is to use the XP version of winhlp32.exe.
    If you have the Windows XP installtion disk, you can extract from it or download the attachment below which contains both X86 and X64 version of winhlp32.exe (XP64winhlp32.exe & XP32winhlp32.exe). Use the appropriate version with your Windows 10.

1. Copy XP64winhlp32.exe to C:\Windows or to C:\Windows\system32 if your Windows 10 is 64 bit. else copy XP32winhlp32.exe.
    2. right click on the .hlp file that you want to open->Open with->More Apps then browse to the executable in step one to select it, put a check mark on "Always use ...." as shown below to associate the file type .hlp with this XP version.

I am having an issue opening a program I installed. When I launch the .exe it opens an old... [​IMG]

The original .hlp has an icon as shown:

I am having an issue opening a program I installed. When I launch the .exe it opens an old... [​IMG]

new association will change to:

To open the .hlp file, simply double click it or open it within the program you are running (Only work if the app is not hardcoded to open with winhlp32.exe)

XPWinhlp32.7z

topgundcp, Sep 1, 2020
  4. I am having an issue opening a program I installed. When I launch the .exe it opens an old...

How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed?

I respectfully suggest that you might be treating the zipped EXE file as if it were a file that does not actually need to be installed. Double-clicking such a file causes the prog to be launched immediately. An example of a non-installable EXE file would be some of the SysInternal files, such as ProcMon and Autoruns.

The file that you quoted, oldcalcwin10.zip, is the same file as in my other post. Double-clicking on that file launches an install dialog. At no time does the calculator itself appear. To launch the calculator, I needed to click on SYSTEM32\calc1.exe

Summarizing:

- Double-clicking an installable EXE file launches the installer.
    - Double-clicking a non-installable EXE file launches the program itself.

Note that I have already created a shortcut to calc1.exe on my desktop. "If it works, don't break it!" Therefore, no other helpful suggestions are needed *Smile

Thanks to all the generous volunteers for their responses.

OldGrantonian, Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

I am having an issue opening a program I installed. When I launch the .exe it opens an old...

1. I am having an issue opening a program I installed. When I launch the .exe it opens an old... - Similar Threads - having issue opening

2. I am trying to install Turbotax on Window11. when i try to open the exe file for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am trying to install Turbotax on Window11. when i try to open the exe file for...: i have window 11 and trying to install turbotax. downloaded exe does not work it asks get a app.need help* Changed to a question https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-trying-to-install-turbotax-on-window11-when-i/122976f5-b741-4ac5-84f5-241670b89a68
  3. I am trying to install Turbotax on Window11. when i try to open the exe file for...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am trying to install Turbotax on Window11. when i try to open the exe file for...: i have window 11 and trying to install turbotax. downloaded exe does not work it asks get a app.need help* Changed to a question https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-trying-to-install-turbotax-on-window11-when-i/122976f5-b741-4ac5-84f5-241670b89a68
  4. I am trying to install tuebotax on window11. when i try to open the exe file for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am trying to install tuebotax on window11. when i try to open the exe file for...: i have window 11 and trying to install turbotax. downloade exe does not work it asks get a app.need help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-trying-to-install-tuebotax-on-window11-when-i/122976f5-b741-4ac5-84f5-241670b89a68
  5. I am trying to install tuebotax on window11. when i try to open the exe file for...

I am trying to install tuebotax on window11. when i try to open the exe file for...: i have window 11 and trying to install turbotax. downloade exe does not work it asks get a app.need help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-trying-to-install-tuebotax-on-window11-when-i/122976f5-b741-4ac5-84f5-241670b89a68
  6. A exe file that i have opens as adminstraitor everytime

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A exe file that i have opens as adminstraitor everytime: So basically there is a game on my computer windows 10 and it always runs on admin, i do not know why, i researched "how to open apps that open with admin not open with admin" but i couldnt fnd anything....
  7. A exe file that i have opens as adminstraitor everytime

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A exe file that i have opens as adminstraitor everytime: So basically there is a game on my computer windows 10 and it always runs on admin, i do not know why, i researched "how to open apps that open with admin not open with admin" but i couldnt fnd anything....
  8. A exe file that i have opens as adminstraitor everytime

9. i am unable to open almost any program especially .exe

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i am unable to open almost any program especially .exe: when i try to open downloaded programs i.e., driver updates for my printer etc., i constantly get a msg. from ' user account control, which states ' do you want this app to make changes to your device', but there is only a box that states no, there is no box stating yes,...
  10. I Can't open any .exe program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I Can't open any .exe program: I had a virus called Win32/Neshta from my friend's USB, after using AVG Win32/Neshta remover it worked, but the effect is still going every time i open an .exe application, Windows shows "Open the file with.." and this is only for .exe files apparently i tried using the...