Windows 10: I am installing a virtual machine and need a Windows 10 iso file

Discus and support I am installing a virtual machine and need a Windows 10 iso file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 on my computer from an iso file a while ago but not sure where a copy of this could be located. Any suggestions as to what to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by despues18, Jan 29, 2019.

1. despues18 Win User

I am installing a virtual machine and need a Windows 10 iso file

I installed Windows 10 on my computer from an iso file a while ago but not sure where a copy of this could be located. Any suggestions as to what to do next?

:)

despues18, Jan 29, 2019

2. Installing Windows 10 on a virtual machine

I am trying to install Windows 10 32-bit on a virtual machine...the host was recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7

I created an ISO to install the operating system, but when I run it, it just shows a black screen with the Windows logo on it..

I am not sure what else to try for a next step

MikeDeanGR, Jan 29, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

4. AM0280 Win User

Installing Windows 10 Home on a virtual machine

I recently bought Windows 10 Home which came on a USB drive. However, for the virtual machine, it seems to ask for an ISO file to install the operating system. How do I install Windows 10 from the USB drive onto the virtual machine?

Thanks.

AM0280, Jan 29, 2019
Thema:

1. I am installing a virtual machine and need a Windows 10 iso file - Similar Threads - installing virtual machine

2. I need to install Windows 10 Pro on a virtual machine, but the recent license is for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to install Windows 10 Pro on a virtual machine, but the recent license is for...: I need to install Windows 10 Pro on a virtual machine, but the recent license is for Windows 11. Which license should I purchase?Since FPP cannot be downgrade to windows 10Can it be done with OEM license ?...
  3. I need to install Windows 10 Pro on a virtual machine, but the recent license is for...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need to install Windows 10 Pro on a virtual machine, but the recent license is for...: I need to install Windows 10 Pro on a virtual machine, but the recent license is for Windows 11. Which license should I purchase?Since FPP cannot be downgrade to windows 10Can it be done with OEM license ?...
  4. Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine: I just purchased a license for Win 10 Pro to install on a Virtual Machine hosted on a new Dell Laptop running Win 11 Pro. The Microsoft website did not allow me to buy a Win 11 License/product key, which would have been preferred since I plan to use this VM to test Win 11...
  5. Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine: I just purchased a license for Win 10 Pro to install on a Virtual Machine hosted on a new Dell Laptop running Win 11 Pro. The Microsoft website did not allow me to buy a Win 11 License/product key, which would have been preferred since I plan to use this VM to test Win 11...
  6. Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Am I allowed to install Windows XP for free on Virtual Machine?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Am I allowed to install Windows XP for free on Virtual Machine?: Hello there,This topic may sound odd which is true, but I cannot help and ask someone that may understand these kinds of things.I really want to try and experience XP again on a virtual machine. Just so I can refresh my memories a little; But, since I do not want to commit...
  8. Am I allowed to install Windows XP for free on Virtual Machine?

Am I allowed to install Windows XP for free on Virtual Machine?: Hello there,This topic may sound odd which is true, but I cannot help and ask someone that may understand these kinds of things.I really want to try and experience XP again on a virtual machine. Just so I can refresh my memories a little; But, since I do not want to commit...
  9. Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How do I set up a Virtual Machine in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-a-virtual-machine-in-windows-10/c3a94127-bdd5-46cd-b220-3e754f0e4bc9
  10. I am installing a virtual machine and need a Windows 10 iso file

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    I am installing a virtual machine and need a Windows 10 iso file: I installed Windows 10 on my computer from an iso file a while ago but not sure where a copy of this could be located. Any suggestions as to what to do next? 126230