Windows 10: I am not able to set Photoshop as the default app to open files like jpg and tiff.

Discus and support I am not able to set Photoshop as the default app to open files like jpg and tiff. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am not able to set Photoshop as the default app to open files like jpg and tiff. The "choose default apps by file type" window gives me an incomplete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by crabjack0, Oct 17, 2018.

1. crabjack0 Win User

I am not able to set Photoshop as the default app to open files like jpg and tiff.

I am not able to set Photoshop as the default app to open files like jpg and tiff. The "choose default apps by file type" window gives me an incomplete selection of appropriate alternatives to MS's programs( see screenshot below). I can't even find Photoshop in "set defaults by app. I am sensing a bit of quality-envy. How can I work around window's limitations regarding defaults?

Thank you,

John

I am not able to set Photoshop as the default app to open files like jpg and tiff. f44b16e4-3ba6-4f0a-a0f1-4af7bb947f6f?upload=true.jpg

:)

crabjack0, Oct 17, 2018
  2. shytot Win User

Can't Select Photoshop as a Default App

Hi
    I've just downloaded Photoshop CC2018 and tried to make it the default photo viewer, but it does not appear in the list of apps that I can select from. Have also tried doing the same for opening .jpg files, but just the same, no Photoshop! I have rebooted the system a couple of times but it makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

shytot, Oct 18, 2018
  3. Bree Win User
    Is it possible to add legacy applications to Defaults list...

The easiest way to set an old app like that as the default is to right-click on any .bmp file and select Open with > Choose another app. Scroll to the bottom of the list and click More apps. If Photoshop isn't in that list, scroll to the bottom and click on Look for another app on this PC. Browse to find your Photoshop and select it. Make sure you tick the box for 'Always use this app to open .bmp files' before you click OK. Repeat this process for .jpg, .png and .tiff files.

PS: once you have set Photoshop as default for one type of file it should appear in the 'More apps' list.

4. I am not able to set Photoshop as the default app to open files like jpg and tiff.

How to set Paint to view .tiff files in Windows 10.

Hi Karen,

You may be facing the above issue due to unassigned program or application to open that particular file type on the computer. Assigning the default program or application for a particular file type will help in easy access of the same on the computer.

To assign Paint to view .tiff file type, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Default programs and select the top most search result.
    • Scroll down the page and click on Choose default apps by file type from the window.
    • Locate .tiff file format, click on the program and select
      Paint application from Choose an App window.
    • Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of viewing .tiff file in Paint on Windows 10 computer in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

I am not able to set Photoshop as the default app to open files like jpg and tiff.

1. I am not able to set Photoshop as the default app to open files like jpg and tiff. - Similar Threads - able set Photoshop

2. How do I batch change a group of tiff files to jpg?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I batch change a group of tiff files to jpg?: I know I can change a tiff file to jpg in Paint. However, I have a group of tiff photos I need to change to jpeg. Is there a system for doing this?...
  3. How do I batch change a group of tiff files to jpg?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I batch change a group of tiff files to jpg?: I know I can change a tiff file to jpg in Paint. However, I have a group of tiff photos I need to change to jpeg. Is there a system for doing this?...
  4. How do I batch change a group of tiff files to jpg?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. JPG and JPEG file types cannot be associated or set with default app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    JPG and JPEG file types cannot be associated or set with default app: Hi,New HP Envy PC, Windows 11 pre-installed. When I use Open With to change the default app from Microsoft Photos to something else, there is no option to set a different app as the default file type.When I go into settings and try to associate JPG or JPEG, they do not come...
  6. How to set default app for file type jpg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set default app for file type jpg: I would like to change the default app for the file type jpg. I've gone through all the steps for setting a default app but the jpg file extension does not appear in the list and therefore I cannot choose a default. When I Open a jpg file it opens in the Photo app. If I look...
  7. How to set default app for file type jpg

How to set default app for file type jpg: I would like to change the default app for the file type jpg. I've gone through all the steps for setting a default app but the jpg file extension does not appear in the list and therefore I cannot choose a default. When I Open a jpg file it opens in the Photo app. If I look...
  8. Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files

Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files: Last update of Windows 10 changed all my .pdf default to open with MS Edge. I do not want to use MS Edge, because I open .pdf documents from inside applications and MS Edge is not a full-fledged .pdf editor. With Edge, you cannot add pages, combine pages and and add...
  9. Can't set Photoshop as default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set Photoshop as default: I have Windows 10 Home version 1803 (OS Build 17134.407. Until I got the update 1803 for Windows, Photoshop was always my default and it worked perfectly. Photoshop itself works just fine, but Windows will not allow it to be the default. I have tried to set Photoshop...
  10. Win 10 Open jpg files with photoshop as default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 Open jpg files with photoshop as default: How to set jpg as default to photoshop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-open-jpg-files-with-photoshop-as-default/05dc0c60-6c36-47bf-9838-e153add5550e