Windows 10: I am now unable to type in the search box.

Discus and support I am now unable to type in the search box. in Cortana to solve the problem; I am now unable to type in the search box. i have tried various solutions copying ctfmon into startup . switching search on and off. rebuilding search... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by dksmithuk, Jan 1, 2022.

1. dksmithuk Win User

I am now unable to type in the search box.

I am now unable to type in the search box. i have tried various solutions copying ctfmon into startup . switching search on and off. rebuilding search index.with no luck.This has only happened in the last few days

:)

dksmithuk, Jan 1, 2022

2. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jan 1, 2022
  3. Unable to type in to box on 'Control Panel'.

In this case, we suggest that you follow these steps and check if the issue persists:

• Press Windows key + R, type control.exe srchadmin.dll, and click on
      OK.
    • Click on the Advanced button.
    • From the Advanced dialogue box, select Rebuild. Selecting
      Rebuild will begin the process of deleting, and then rebuilding your PC’s search index.

Note: While the steps to initiate the rebuilding process are simple, the actual process can take quite some time depending on how much data Windows has to index.

Keep us updated on the results.

Aileen Alf, Jan 1, 2022
  4. I am now unable to type in the search box.

Cortana search box - type request

Since I got a Win 10 update a few days ago, Cortana has been hard to deal with :>). She will take requests verbally but if it try to type something into her search box, as soon as I enter a letter, a white box appears as though some suggestions will be
    listed (as it did before the update) and then all of a sudden it disappears and I am back to the original Cortana window. Any ideas? I did set up other admin user and Cortana will allow that user to type into the box and she will immediately start a list
    of suggestions. Also I tried "method 1 and 2 that required changes to the registry.

Richardsymms, Jan 1, 2022
Thema:

I am now unable to type in the search box.

1. I am now unable to type in the search box. - Similar Threads - unable type search

2. I am unable to type in the search boxes on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to type in the search boxes on Windows: Please help me! I used a batch file to optimize Windows, and now I can't type in the search boxes. I've tried searching for the files again, and I found these registry entries: reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d...
  3. I am unable to type in the search boxes on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am unable to type in the search boxes on Windows: Please help me! I used a batch file to optimize Windows, and now I can't type in the search boxes. I've tried searching for the files again, and I found these registry entries: reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d...
  4. I am unable to type in the search boxes on Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar: Hi,Why i am not able to type anything in Win 10 search box in taskbar. restarted also but doesnt help.Can anyone help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-to-type-anything-in-search-box-in/20a3e6d4-4702-442a-acd7-311a9e43f7d1
  6. I am now unable to type in the search box.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am now unable to type in the search box.: I am now unable to type in the search box. i have tried various solutions copying ctfmon into startup . switching search on and off. rebuilding search index.with no luck.This has only happened in the last few days...
  7. I am now unable to type in the search box.

I am now unable to type in the search box.: I am now unable to type in the search box. i have tried various solutions copying ctfmon into startup . switching search on and off. rebuilding search index.with no luck.This has only happened in the last few days...
  8. Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.

in Cortana
    Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.: After the latest updates I am unable to type in the search box on the taskbar. I have tried all the solutions on the internet. Powershell commands, the ctfmon fix, restarting windows explorer, all of it. No matter what I try, the search box won't respond. The latest updates...
  9. Unable to type in Windows 10 search box

in Cortana
    Unable to type in Windows 10 search box: Hi, I am unable to type into the search box in the task bar of my Windows 10 laptop. Not sure if it's related but there did appear to be some updates applied when I logged off last night. Googling I have found a number of suggestions. So far I have tried the following...
  10. Unable to type in Search box

in Cortana
    Unable to type in Search box: Hi all, I have an office and 3 of my machines are unable to type in the search box, I've come to the conclusion that it is Cortana as on all 3 machines there is no Cortana to be seen. But other machines in the office have Cortana and are able to search I have tried...