Windows 10: I am rebuilding my desktop with new hard drive and new motherboard, do I need a new copy of...

Discus and support I am rebuilding my desktop with new hard drive and new motherboard, do I need a new copy of... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My old hard drive died while upgrading to a new one . I can not seem to get everything to work. I have tried a clean install using a boot usb drive but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DarkestBat348, Jun 19, 2021.

1. I am rebuilding my desktop with new hard drive and new motherboard, do I need a new copy of...

My old hard drive died while upgrading to a new one . I can not seem to get everything to work. I have tried a clean install using a boot usb drive but the computer shuts down as soon as it tries to start up windows. Or it asks for a repair and then shuts down. All attempts at correcting the problem with the bios have not worked. So I am starting fresh

:)

DarkestBat348, Jun 19, 2021

2. Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Jun 19, 2021
  3. Windows 10 New Hard Drive New MOtherboard

I am replacing motherboard cpu and memory and had windows 10 drive that originated from windows 7. How can install windows 10 on new hard drive

PhilWalenga, Jun 19, 2021
  4. Al Jr Win User

I am rebuilding my desktop with new hard drive and new motherboard, do I need a new copy of...

new hard drive

Hello,

I am running windows 10 with office home and business, I have a permeant license for office.

I want to install a new hard drive (old one still works) going from 500 to a 1T hard drive.

can I clone my current hard drive with both win.10 and office, then copy it to the new hard drive?

also I believe I need to use a thumb drive to get the pc to boot, but do not know the steps.

my pc came with windows 8.1 then I did the free upgrade some time ago.

any help? called dell, they just want me to buy stuff....

Al Jr, Jun 19, 2021
Thema:

I am rebuilding my desktop with new hard drive and new motherboard, do I need a new copy of...

1. I am rebuilding my desktop with new hard drive and new motherboard, do I need a new copy of... - Similar Threads - rebuilding desktop hard

2. I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...: I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install windows 11 on the pc I'm upgrading from 10 without using the original hardrive and without purchasing a new license?I'm theoretically using the same system to upgrade to 11. i don't want...
  3. I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...: I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install windows 11 on the pc I'm upgrading from 10 without using the original hardrive and without purchasing a new license?I'm theoretically using the same system to upgrade to 11. i don't want...
  4. I am upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. can install...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Rebuilding PC - do I need new copy of windows?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Rebuilding PC - do I need new copy of windows?: Hi! I am currently waiting for some parts in order to upgrade my pc. This will mean that I will have a new boot drive, but keeping the old one as one of my storage drives. Will I need another copy of windows or can I "transfer" the one I have to another drive? Best regards,...
  6. New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence?

New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence?: Hello all, very recently, my computer slurped up a malware and I had to wipe the hard drives and reinstall windows. On a whim, I decided to upgrade from win 7 to win 10 pro, so I bought a licence. At the same time I got a "great" idea of upgrading most of the PC hardware, so...
  7. How do I transfer my copy of windows onto a new hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I transfer my copy of windows onto a new hard drive?: My current hard drive is running at 100% even when the computer is idle. This has led me to buy a new hard drive. How can I transfer the copy of windows my computer has onto the new hard drive?...
  8. new motherboard and new drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    new motherboard and new drive: How to get all the file icons back in the list for easy acces from F:// drive (my old drive) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-motherboard-and-new-drive/f82e7314-da5d-4a86-965f-8a2b0d526660
  9. Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key?

Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key?: Hello all, i have windows 10 on my desktop. My processor is burning out so I've got a new motherboard and processor to put in, however after reading online most people say that ill need a new product key but if i call customer support they should be able to help me. Now...
  10. If I am moving my hard drive to a new motherboard, how to ensure I keep my copy of Windows 10?

If I am moving my hard drive to a new motherboard, how to ensure I keep my copy of Windows 10?: I'm planning to move my existing hard drive to another motherboard. I'm not entirely sure what will happen to my Windows 10. What steps do I need to take to ensure I can still use my Windows 10 product on the new configuration?...