Windows 10: I am receiving "Cannot open volume for direct access" error upon boot. how to fix it

Discus and support I am receiving "Cannot open volume for direct access" error upon boot. how to fix it in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I am receiving “Cannot open volume for direct access” error upon boot. how to fix it? The exactly error message might be similar to the following:... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by elim189, Nov 8, 2018.

1. elim189 Win User

I am receiving "Cannot open volume for direct access" error upon boot. how to fix it

I am receiving “Cannot open volume for direct access” error upon boot. how to fix it?

The exactly error message might be similar to the following: “Cannot open volume for direct access. The type of the file system is NTFS. IFSUTIL: Can’t open drive. Status returned = c0000043. Windows has finished checking the disk” Or “Cannot open volume for direct access. ‘chkdsk’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.”

how to fix it?

:)

elim189, Nov 8, 2018
  2. Rose Cal Win User

How to fix error unmountable boot volume

Hi James,

It is possible that you received the error UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME due to a damaged file system which failed to mount. This error also means that sub-system on machine failed to mount the boot volume. To efficiently assist you, we'd like
    to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • What is the exact error message you received?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you you follow the steps shared by Michelle Her and
    Billion Debbarma on this threads below to troubleshoot your concern:

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Nov 9, 2018
  3. Noela Tum Win User
    UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error

Hi Andre,

The challenge that you're experiencing when you got the error, UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME,
    is due to a damaged file system that failed to mount. It also means that sub-system in the machine failed to mount the boot volume. To isolate the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• When did you first encounter the issue?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • How did you upgrade the device to Windows 10?

You can also follow the steps that was shared by Michelle Her and
    Billion Debbarma on these threads to troubleshoot the issue:

Hope this helps and let us know if it works.

Noela Tum, Nov 9, 2018
  4. GC_992 Win User

I am receiving "Cannot open volume for direct access" error upon boot. how to fix it

chkdsk cannot open volume for direct access for new Windows 10

Hello,

I just installed a new Windows 10 on my PC with a SSD and HDD drive both attached inside the PC. After windows booted for the very first time, I was not able to detect my HDD at all, my OS runs on my SDD drive. I tried to use chkdsk and i got the error chkdsk
    cannot open volume for direct access. I have looked through the forum and tried to use EaseUS to fix this problem but still couldn't fix it. I used check partition but there was no error, even on surface test.

I am not very familiar with partitions or sectors etc and tried the ways i found online but nothing seems to work. Please help me.

Thanks,

Gerald

GC_992, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

1. I am receiving "Cannot open volume for direct access" error upon boot. how to fix it - Similar Threads - receiving Cannot open

2. I am having a unmountable boot volume error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am having a unmountable boot volume error.: I tired sfc scans , boot rec , and tried opening in safe mode .nothing is working.please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-having-a-unmountable-boot-volume-error/0479061f-646a-4918-bd3e-55f8801fedef
  3. I am having a unmountable boot volume error.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am having a unmountable boot volume error.: I tired sfc scans , boot rec , and tried opening in safe mode .nothing is working.please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-having-a-unmountable-boot-volume-error/0479061f-646a-4918-bd3e-55f8801fedef
  4. How to fix error upon opening video file error -2147163901

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix error upon opening video file error -2147163901: Upon startup recently, any video that I attempt to open, no matter the location or video, opens the Movies and Videos app for a split second and then gives me the following error: "File error -2147163901." When I simply open the app, I get this same split second and then the...
  5. How to fix error upon opening video file error -2147163901

How to fix error upon opening video file error -2147163901: Upon startup recently, any video that I attempt to open, no matter the location or video, opens the Movies and Videos app for a split second and then gives me the following error: "File error -2147163901." When I simply open the app, I get this same split second and then the...
  6. How to fix error code: unmountable boot volume?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix error code: unmountable boot volume?: I have a laptop Asus K413 however i think i got an virus and when i press restart it show bluescreen and its just keep looping. I can't access my file because its just keep restart and looping...
  7. How to fix error code: unmountable boot volume?

How to fix error code: unmountable boot volume?: I have a laptop Asus K413 however i think i got an virus and when i press restart it show bluescreen and its just keep looping. I can't access my file because its just keep restart and looping...
  8. How to fix error code: unmountable boot volume?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. I am receiving windat files but cannot open them how do i do this.

I am receiving windat files but cannot open them how do i do this.: i am receiving emails with windat.com and cannot open them. How do i change that to receive them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-receiving-windat-files-but-cannot-open-them/82fb966c-20ea-4c22-bbc1-a8f6da4006bf
  10. CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access

in Windows 10 News
    CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]CHKDSK or Check Disk is a utility built inside the Windows operating systems that work to maintain the integrity of the disk connected to a computer. It can be launched both via Graphical User Interface as well as via Command [...] This post CHKDSK cannot...