Windows 10: I am slightly confused about my backup plan and retention rules

Discus and support I am slightly confused about my backup plan and retention rules in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I see a full image of +900 megabytes above, which is probably comprised of videos. Do you need to image that? Probably not. The most overlooked aspect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by C0zzie, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Clive K Win User

I am slightly confused about my backup plan and retention rules

I see a full image of +900 megabytes above, which is probably comprised of videos. Do you need to image that?
    Probably not. The most overlooked aspect of imaging is that it should be fast enough so that it is not a chore, and the key to that is keeping the "system" separate - that is, on a different disk - from data that can be backed up by other means.
    You have everything on one disk, so unless you add another disk for your "system," Unless you need to keep every version of your work I recommend you stop doing the differentials and continue backing up your work manually.
    You have a full image everything as of the date you made that image.
    If you want further advice, just ask.

Clive K, Jun 12, 2017
  2. C0zzie Win User

Thanks for the advice Clive.

-I wont need to keep using "differential image" to backup photos, videos etc as I do that manually to my University HD. (So you are right in saying this!)
    -My first full image took about 13 hours which is annoying. Unfortunately I cannot afford an SSD to put my "system" on seperate, so I believe I will just have to create the full images once every month?
    -The reason why I kept backing up using 'differential' image is because every time I edited my work, I presumed I would need to run the differential but sounds like thats not the case..?.

So you say to backup my work manually, which is what I will do. I also keep creating a 'full image'​ every month of my whole PC?

C0zzie, Jun 15, 2017
  3. Clive K Win User
    If you have a good means of backing up your data manually, the only reason to image is to back up your "system."
    If it took me 13 hours to make a "system" image, I doubt I would make one.
    I would simply reinstall Windows and my applications if I needed to. But that's a decision for you. Next time you have the opportunity to set up your computer you should set up a system partition for your system and apps. Then you'll have an easier time imaging.

Clive K, Jun 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Appropriate partition planning is key to effective backups where you have a lot of data. I've carried my same set of partitions through about 3 laptops now over more than 12 years.

My personal data is all on partitions other than C: - which means any OS issues are almost entirely separate from my data.

I don't have to back up certain partitions often as the data hardly ever changes.

It takes about 12 minutes to do a differential image of my installed progs + OS. (SSD over USB3).

dalchina, Jun 17, 2017
  5. simrick Win User
    Just a suggestion here, but this would make life easier, where backups are concerned:

I would partition the internal HDD: one smaller partition for OS and programs, one partition for data.
    You can then tell the OS to store your personal libraries on the second partition automatically.
    Then I'd make 2 folders on my backup drive: one for the Macrium OS backups, and one for the data backups.
    You can then image the OS, ("full"), quickly and easily, and as often as a change is made, (new program or windows updates).
    The data can be backed up using ROBOCOPY.
    ROBOCOPY - Create Backup Script - Windows 7 Help Forums

You could run ROBOCOPY every end of the day before you shutdown.

simrick, Jun 17, 2017
  6. C0zzie Win User
    Ah sorry for the delay in response, was super busy with University degree show. I have had a look at the latest posts and it seems understandable and probably the right path to take; create separate partitions.

I was even thinking about reinstalling Windows on my PC and then just reinstalling the necessary programmes, but it seems like such an effort right now. Also, my PC is fine atm so I dont really want to do all that installing again.

Is it possible even now to create 2 partions; 1 for OS and the other for Documents/Games/software downloads? etc. Or can you only do that if you reinstall Windows?

Thank you!

C0zzie, Jun 23, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    No problem.
    Since you have a desktop (not a laptop), you could look at putting a second hard drive inside, and use that for your data. That would be the easiest.

It is possible to partition the existing drive, yes. You would need to make sure you have enough room on it to make a another partition large enough to hold your data though. MiniTool Partition Wizard (free) can do the job if you have enough space available.

Then, once the new partition is created, move* your data over to it, and then shrink the OS partition. A bit of work there, and you have to be really careful messing with partitions, if it's not something you do on a regular basis, because you can really mess things up.*Moving the data can be done by telling Windows where you want your folders to reside physically.
    You would right-click the folders (i.e. Documents/Pictures/Videos/Music) one by one, and select Properties. In the Location tab, tell Windows to store that library on the new drive/partition. Then, when it asks if you want to move all the existing files, answer YES.

I am slightly confused about my backup plan and retention rules [​IMG]

Before doing anything, I would create a Macrium image of your entire drive to an external drive, then create bootable media, so if things go south, you can get back to square one and start over.

EDIT: p.s. You want to leave the software installed on the OS partition.

simrick, Jun 23, 2017
  8. C0zzie Win User

Hmmm ok. I think I will give myself 3 options:

1) Reinstall Windows/all softwares I have. And then create 2 partitions; 1 OS and the other for documents (I presume its like having an SSD and a HD. The SSD has the OS/some programmes and HD has everything else)

2) Create partition using current internal HD using Simrick's method

3) Just create the image (13 hours) onto my external HD. Yes I know its long but I think for now its the easiest solution? Saves having to go through the arduous task of reinstalling and downloading everything!

Although reinstalling Windows is probably the best solution for me; it will make imaging quicker, it will make defragging quicker, and it will make my PC faster..but its something I will most likely do at a later date.

Thank you all for clearing everything up, I appreciate it as its my first time using this wonderful website. Looks like I will just create a full image once a month!

Many Thanks,

Costa *Smile

C0zzie, Jun 23, 2017
  9. simrick Win User
    Cheers. Please mark the thread as solved.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I am slightly confused about my backup plan and retention rules - Similar Threads - slightly confused backup

2. I am confused about my processors according to apps on my Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am confused about my processors according to apps on my Laptop: Context:So I wanted to install Windows 10 Pro 64 bits. I checked the Windows default Settings application, I checked by Search>This PC>Right-click>Properties, it says I have a 32 bits system and a 64 bits based processor. Later on I checked System Information, it says my...
  3. I am confused about my processors according to apps on my Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I am confused about my processors according to apps on my Laptop: Context:So I wanted to install Windows 10 Pro 64 bits. I checked the Windows default Settings application, I checked by Search>This PC>Right-click>Properties, it says I have a 32 bits system and a 64 bits based processor. Later on I checked System Information, it says my...
  4. I am confused about my processors according to apps on my Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. I am confused

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I am confused: Hello, my name is joseph Im 18 I am calling on the community for some help. So this may seen weird that im 18 and i play roblox and use discord and stuff. So my dad blocks roblox and discord off of my computer. I have tried to go through regedit and cmd prompt and files also...
  6. Confused about Backup Strategies

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Confused about Backup Strategies: I am in the process of acquiring a newer computer. It will be running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. My thinking is to clone or make an image of all the programs on drive C: I was thinking of placing this file on an SSD. Is it possible to make this file available on the Cloud? I...
  7. Goodsync - confused about Synchronize or Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Goodsync - confused about Synchronize or Backup: I need to backup my computer. It was quite a while ago, but I've used Goodsync in the past and remember it being really good. I just purchased/installed the most recent version. But I am very confused about the difference between "Backup" and "Synchronize", and between "File...
  8. Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.: I backed up to an external HDD, and when I selected folders to back up, I carefully picked what I wanted including Documents. After backup ran, I looked at what was on the drive. All the correct folders were there, but Documents had nothing in it, only a desktop.ini file....
  9. Macrium Reflect Free: Retention Rules

Macrium Reflect Free: Retention Rules: All, Thanks to this site's recommendation, I have downloaded and configured MR Free for System images. I have it scheduled to do Monthly Full & Weekly differentials. I can't understand the Retention Rules? Here is my default set up. [img] But when I go to the log of...
  10. Confused about backup

Confused about backup: [img] I'm new to Win 10 and yesterday tried to back up my files for the first time. I went to setting>update & security>backup and tried to backup on a flash drive (to transfer to ext. HD), but got a message that files not yet backed up. I then exported my Firefox folders...