Windows 10: I am unable to populate a added drive in windows 10. no dirve letter shows

Discus and support I am unable to populate a added drive in windows 10. no dirve letter shows in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The drive shows up in device manager but does not display in disk management. The drive is a two TB. seagate hard drive 3.5 inch. Ran test as admin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LucindaWONDERLICH-FULLER, Oct 6, 2019.

1. I am unable to populate a added drive in windows 10. no dirve letter shows

The drive shows up in device manager but does not display in disk management. The drive is a two TB. seagate hard drive 3.5 inch. Ran test as admin

and errors were corrected. First test found errors and corrected them and the second test was ok. error states volume information cannot be found

Should I be formatting the ****? But no letter is displayed for the drive? Sea tools is useless because it does not see any Seagate drives!

Run the DISM Tool

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth errors corrected

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth no errors

:)

LucindaWONDERLICH-FULLER, Oct 6, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Oct 6, 2019
  3. 2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

I recently was required to reinstall Windows 10 after I installed a new SSD as my C: drive. Now, I've got everything up and running I noted the drive letters that were assigned to my second and third hard drives were different than what I use to have and
    not the drive letters I preferred. I followed the instructions to change the drive letter and they did not change but rather it added the new drive letter I assigned to the old drive letter. Below, is what File Explorer shows me now. I noted that the I
    and J are shown with a colon but D and E do not.

Local Disk (CI am unable to populate a added drive in windows 10.  no dirve letter shows :)

Local Disk (D) (II am unable to populate a added drive in windows 10.  no dirve letter shows :)

Local Disk (E) (JI am unable to populate a added drive in windows 10.  no dirve letter shows :)

I then went back into Device Manager and chose to "change the drive letter" again but the next window allowed me to remove the extra drive letter so I removed it (JI am unable to populate a added drive in windows 10.  no dirve letter shows :) and found that disk no longer appeared in File Explorer at all and became inaccessible.
    The drive does continue to show up in Device Manager and Disk Management and continues to show both drive letters.

I have spent several days researching this problem, trying many suggestions listed on Help web pages and nothing has been successful.

billmasonismad, Oct 6, 2019
  4. I am unable to populate a added drive in windows 10. no dirve letter shows

2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

Hello Andre: I followed the instructions carefully and this is what this process amounted to. I followed this step by step.

Press Windows key + X - Worked fine

Click Disk Management - Worked fine

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it -
    All my drives showed up with there drive letters. When I clicked on the drive - Local Disk (D) (II am unable to populate a added drive in windows 10.  no dirve letter shows :). The panel came up " change drive letter and path.

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths - for local disk (D)" and in the panel it said "Allow access to this volume by using the following drive letter and paths". In
    the panel that shows up it shows a drive icon and the letter I: . Below this are the options to ADD, CHANGE and REMOVE.

Click Add - When I click the ADD button a new panel comes up and the only option allowed is "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder". When I enter the letter D:
    ( the drive letter I'm trying to get too) and click on the OK button it opens a new panel comes up and tells me "The device is not ready".

Click Assign the following drive letter - I then go back a few panels and select CHANGE, this time the same panel opens up but this time the other option is locked
    in as my only choice - "Assign the following drive letter". I enter D: again and in the pull down menu the letter D is not available for me to choose.

Click in the Drive letter list box - Then I go back to the previous panel and select REMOVE, now the new panel tells me "Some of the programs you rely on drive letters
    might not respond correctly. Are you sure you want to remove this drive letter. I did not proceed as I've done this before and it does remove the drive letter I: but the in Disk Management the now D: dive is no longer accessible.

So now I have explored all three options that were presented when I right clicked on the "Click Change Drive Letter and Paths" In the end I was not able to remove the drive letters I and J from disk management

Thanks very much for the assistance, do you have any other suggestions I can use to correct this issue? I thought I might try deleting the D letter leaving the drive letter I, then going back in and try changing that
    drive letter back to D done in two separate steps??? Bill

billmasonismad, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

I am unable to populate a added drive in windows 10. no dirve letter shows

1. I am unable to populate a added drive in windows 10. no dirve letter shows - Similar Threads - unable populate added

2. Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.: I'm Using Windows 11. I have a few hard drives that I want to use in an external dock. for storage. I have one that shows up healthy and online in Disk Manager and it shows in Device Manager. No drive letter is assigned and Disk Manager won't let me assign one. It also does...
  3. Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.: I'm Using Windows 11. I have a few hard drives that I want to use in an external dock. for storage. I have one that shows up healthy and online in Disk Manager and it shows in Device Manager. No drive letter is assigned and Disk Manager won't let me assign one. It also does...
  4. DVD drive letter not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive letter not showing: DVD drive letter not showing in Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-letter-not-showing/46115d53-baad-49ba-904f-b73fb669a6f7
  5. Resource monitor shows drive C: with different letter after adding new internal drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Resource monitor shows drive C: with different letter after adding new internal drive.: Hi, I have a desktop computer with a few HDDs installed. Yesterday I added a new drive and formatted it using Disk Management tool. The tool suggested drive H: which I accepted. I then rebooted the machine. When opening Resource monitor I noticed that C: drive...
  6. why are letters typed in backwards since i added windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    why are letters typed in backwards since i added windows 10: why are letters typed in backwards since i added windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-letters-typed-in-backwards-since-i-added/4a231a93-c68b-4f45-8208-ef4a3e63f5d8
  7. I am unable to disconnect a mapped drive (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I am unable to disconnect a mapped drive (Windows 10): I used to have all the network drives mapped using a GPO, however, I have now moved all the network files into the cloud (G Suite). Therefore, I have removed the GPO that mapped the drives and use Google's File Stream, which automatically maps the G: drive. Whenever, I log...
  8. I am unable to type the letter \/

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am unable to type the letter \/: I installed a Auto clicker... I linked it to the letter \/ (I know, stupid). Howe\/er I do not know how to fix this specific problem. If any is able to assist, I would be extremely thankful. Especially because I ha\/e a paper to write....
  9. Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10 [img] Information A drive letter is a single alphabetic character A through Z that has been assigned to a physical drive or drive partition in the computer. This...
  10. Show Drive Letters Before or After Name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show Drive Letters Before or After Name in Windows 10: How to: Show Drive Letters Before or After Name in Windows 10 How to Show Drive Letters Before or After Drive Name in Windows 10 [img] Information A drive letter is a single alphabetic character A through Z that has been assigned to a physical drive or drive partition...