Windows 10: I am unable to reset the hard drive on my computer How should I proceed

Discus and support I am unable to reset the hard drive on my computer How should I proceed in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am unable to reset the hard drive on my computer How should I proceed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by richardsoffin, Aug 26, 2020.

1. I am unable to reset the hard drive on my computer How should I proceed

I am unable to reset the hard drive on my computer How should I proceed

:)

richardsoffin, Aug 26, 2020

2. Resetting Computer with Multiple Hard Drives?

Hey all,

Just a quick question. My computer has three hard drives:

• An 128GB SSD as C:\ for Windows 10 and essential applications (Visual Studio, Office, etc)
    • An 700GB SSD as D:\ for nonessential applications and games
    • A 2TB platter HDD as E:\ for general file storage.
    My computer has been running a bit weird lately (especially since I had a RAM stick go bad about a month ago) and so I just want to reset the C drive. My intention is to use the following steps:

• Settings > Update & Security > Recovery
    • Click Get Started under Reset this PC
    • Click Remove Everything
    • Erase quicky (since I'm not trading this PC in)
    So, my question is, if I do this will it format all three drives or will it only affect my C drive? I just want to know if I should disconnect my E drive before restoring my PC.

Thanks in advance!

Sn1p3rM00n, Aug 26, 2020
  3. Mechanical Hard Drive A:\

Proceed with the steps I gave you to test the hard drive to know for sure it's condition.

If it passes wipe it and try formatting as suggested. If it fails initializing as MBR then try GPT (for data).

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 26, 2020
  4. Jotap54 Win User

Resetting Computer with Multiple Hard Drives?

Hello
    Sn1p3rM00n,

When you're resetting your computer, if you choose remove everything and you have more than 1 drive, you'll be prompt if you would like to remove everything only where Windows is installed or all the drives.

I am unable to reset the hard drive on my computer How should I proceed daa33d43-26b2-4853-bb8e-d4d414b3686d.png

Something like this.

So you can decide what to do.

Regards,

Jose R.

Jotap54, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

1. I am unable to reset the hard drive on my computer How should I proceed - Similar Threads - unable reset hard

2. Should I format the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I format the hard drive?: I recently bought a refurbished Lenovo, needing a machine with enough power and storage to run Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop without crashing. I asked for any reliable laptop with 16GB ram and 256GB memory and was not paying attention to the operating system. It came with...
  3. Should I format the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I format the hard drive?: I recently bought a refurbished Lenovo, needing a machine with enough power and storage to run Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop without crashing. I asked for any reliable laptop with 16GB ram and 256GB memory and was not paying attention to the operating system. It came with...
  4. How often should I hard reset a device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How often should I hard reset a device?: After a while of using devices, they slow down, I know that.I rarely do a full reset on any device, only if I begin noticing bigger problems like the performance being a lot slower than it should be.How often should I do a full reset as a safe practice?This this question also...
  5. How often should I hard reset a device?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How often should I hard reset a device?: After a while of using devices, they slow down, I know that.I rarely do a full reset on any device, only if I begin noticing bigger problems like the performance being a lot slower than it should be.How often should I do a full reset as a safe practice?This this question also...
  6. Should I reset my computer?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Should I reset my computer?: I want to reset my computer but I'm worried it might mess up something since I've reset my computer 2 times before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-reset-my-computer/9c3e6826-3673-4046-8aac-71f69990c1c4
  7. Should I put my old hard drive back in my computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I put my old hard drive back in my computer: Installing a new hard disk drive in windows 10 due to a failing one thread was not answered to get it to 1tb so I am asking this question. I tried to salvage my dell desktop but could not get it to recognize the hard disk drive that was installed. should I go back to put back...
  8. I am unable to start my computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am unable to start my computer: Hi! As the title suggests I am unable to start my computer.Automatic repair fails. Can't get into safe mode. Don't have a recovery image. Can't uninstall any feature or quality updates. I've got a Windows 10 CD but unable to repair or do a clean install as I can't start the...
  9. I wish to reset my computer and change my default hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I wish to reset my computer and change my default hard drive: No matter what I do I cannot seem to have enough space on my c: drive while my d: drive is practically empty. I plan to reset my windows 10 computer and make the default drive the d: drive after the reset, including all the system files and stuff like that Is this possible?...
  10. How often should I defragment my hard drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How often should I defragment my hard drive?: I hear that defragmenting shortens the life span of a hard drive. Is this true? Also, how often should I defrag? Windows has schedules for weekly and monthly optimizations, which is better? Or should I just manually perform it whenever defragmentation reaches a certain...