Windows 10: I am unable to share over the network between computers using a Microsoft account for login

Discus and support I am unable to share over the network between computers using a Microsoft account for login in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have visited many forum pages about this and have troubleshooted for quite some time and am absolutely befuddled Background: Computers in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cor...., May 24, 2020.

1. Cor.... Win User

I am unable to share over the network between computers using a Microsoft account for login

I have visited many forum pages about this and have troubleshooted for quite some time and am absolutely befuddled

Background:

• Computers in question:
      • 1 Computer running windows 10 Home
      • 1 Computer running windows 10 Pro
      • I do not believe the version type is related to the issue but mentioned it anyways

• Many network shared folders

Issue:

• Some point in the past, I believe inline with an update, sharing between my computers stopped working
      • Computers were still discovered however the passwords used for them did not work and return an incorrect password message

What did I try to fix it:

• I verified my network settings were correct following these steps essentially.
    • Multiple restarts of all systems involved
    • Waiting and hoping a future update fixed whatever broke
    • Making the Microsoft account a local account.

With that very last step, that is where I """fixed""" the issue.

The problem of course is that I dont want to have to have a local account to fix this issue as I value 2 aspects of having a Microsoft account, those being key recovery for bitlocker and recovery steps.

THe result of this has me thinking I somehow entered the credentials incorrectly, however I certainly have the password and username correct as they are what I use to sign in to these systems. This is where I stumbled upon the fact that there exist prefixes like "MicrosoftAccount\". Unfortunately this did not fix the problem and none of the other various combinations of user account email and password or username and pin etc fixed this issue.

I really have no clue then what could be causing the issue and I have run out of trouble shooting steps I could try.

One thing that has been recommended by a Microsoft tech support representative was turning on SMB1, but from all I can see not only should that not be useful to me but it is also dangerously old and insecure according to a Microsoft employee on their storage team.

I post this hoping someone can help me fix this issue and or answer the question of what credentials I am meant to use to log in to a network share.

:)

Cor...., May 24, 2020
  2. madmax2 Win User

Unable to browse network share if signed into Microsoft account

I am having a problem with network share

I am unable to browse network share of another computer if I signed into Microsoft account

If I sign into a local account, then I can browse another computer network share folders.

How to fix this?

madmax2, May 24, 2020
  3. TAU
    Tau Win User
    Network share to require login

Alright what i am trying to do is have a password, or login required to access some shared folders on a computer. All computers are using XP Pro SP2, now i have had situations in the past were i try to access a shared folder over the network on a laptop and it asks for a username and password before it will let me access it. This is what i am trying to setup. Even if i was able to assign the folder permissions for a specific user account.

Any help?

4. I am unable to share over the network between computers using a Microsoft account for login

Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, May 24, 2020
Thema:

I am unable to share over the network between computers using a Microsoft account for login

1. I am unable to share over the network between computers using a Microsoft account for login - Similar Threads - unable share network

2. I am unable to share the folder via network file sharing option between 2 PC as I am unable...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to share the folder via network file sharing option between 2 PC as I am unable...: I am unable to share the folder via network file sharing option between 2 PC as I am unable to locate the folder while trying to share the folder as it is not showing in File explorer under Network...
  3. I am unable to share the folder via network file sharing option between 2 PC as I am unable...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am unable to share the folder via network file sharing option between 2 PC as I am unable...: I am unable to share the folder via network file sharing option between 2 PC as I am unable to locate the folder while trying to share the folder as it is not showing in File explorer under Network...
  4. I am unable to share folders over my home network between two computers.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I am unable to share folders over my home network between two computers.: First, I am on Windows 10 Pro on my Desktop and it's connected by ethernet cable and on Windows 10 Home on my laptop and it's connected via wifi to the same network.Awhile back I had this same issue but was able to solve it by mapping the folders I needed to keep shared....
  5. Unable to share network computers

Unable to share network computers: Hi i have enabled network sharing on both my computers and marked drives to share. i can see both computers and the drives but when i try and open a drive i get the message unable to access this computer Any advice will be great please 179469
  6. Unable to share files between 2 PCs over a Wi-Fi network

Unable to share files between 2 PCs over a Wi-Fi network: Hello, my name is Davide and I have a problem in sharing a folder between 2 PCs. It seems that I can't do that because my PCs can't find each other on the Wifi network. The 2 PCs are on the same Wi-fi network. I have enabled and turned on all necessary options in...
  7. Unable to share files between PCs over Ethernet

Unable to share files between PCs over Ethernet: 1) Want to transfer files between PCs using ethernet (single owner/user, home LAN) 2) Absolutely delighted [not!] by ~ twenty-five (25) step 'simple' process required ... ARRGGGGH! 3) Survived hoop-jumping up to "enter credentials for PC access" (or some such $#%#^) 4)...
  8. How to share files between two computers over the network?

How to share files between two computers over the network?: What is Network permissions, I am trying to connect two computers together over the network and receive this message unable to connect ,to ... see your network adiministrator for network permission. ***Modified title from: Networkimg , permission ***...
  9. Unable to share files over Network

Unable to share files over Network: Unable to share files over Network I'm wondering if the requirement to log in is what's preventing me sharing on my network - on which 4 other laptops running Windows 10 are all happily communicating with the same sharing permissions as I've set up on this one. When I try...
  10. Unable to browse network share if signed into Microsoft account

Unable to browse network share if signed into Microsoft account: I am having a problem with network share I am unable to browse network share of another computer if I signed into Microsoft account If I sign into a local account, then I can browse another computer network share folders. How to fix this? 47576