Windows 10: I am unable to turn Windows Defender on. I have no other antivirus programs installed so...

Discus and support I am unable to turn Windows Defender on. I have no other antivirus programs installed so... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Dawjman [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Dawjman, Mar 7, 2021.

1. I am unable to turn Windows Defender on. I have no other antivirus programs installed so...

/u/Dawjman, Mar 7, 2021
  2. Le Boule Win User

Unable to Turn on Windows Defender

Did you follow the suggestions in my post? The behavior you are describing is typical if there are remnants of a third party program installed.

Go to Security and Maintenance, Look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will
    not be enabled if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

Did you try all the steps recommended in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    ?

If you cannot resolve the issue why don't you just install a different antimalware program?

There are a number of viable options available – free or paid - take your pick…

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/antivirus-partners#AVtabs=win10

Regards...

Le Boule, Mar 7, 2021
  3. Can't turn on Defender: "Another antivirus program is installed" but there's not

Was there ever another Anti-Virus program installed?

In case you already uninstalled a previous (perhaps pre-)installed Anti-Virus program:

Did you also use its specific removal tool, see this
    List of anti-malware product removal tools
    ?

If not, then please do so now and reboot.

====

In case Windows Defender still isn't automatically enabled after doing the above:

I'd suggest to run the ESET AV Removal Tool and see if it can detect another AV or leftover traces...

ESET AV Removal Tool

The ESET AV Removal tool will remove almost any antivirus software previously installed on your system.

direct download link:
    http://download.eset.com/special/eset_av_remover.exe

====

Do you use Spybot?

If so, see

Running Spybot and Windows Defender – Windows 10

https://www.safer-networking.org/faq/spybot-defender-windows-10/

====

In addition, I suggest to read and try everything here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/wiki/protect_defender-protect_start/problems-starting-windows-defender-in-windows/808253bb-db89-4db9-a4e5-1c91a86489e9

Jsssssssss, Mar 7, 2021
  4. I am unable to turn Windows Defender on. I have no other antivirus programs installed so...

WINDOWS DEFENDER is turned off

To further isolate your concern, we'd like to know if you have other security programs installed on your computer.
    Windows Defender will automatically shut itself off if there are other antivirus or security programs installed. There's a possibility that a trial version of other security program was installed on your computer. Also, if the third-party security
    program installed has a Firewall, then Windows Firewall will also stop working. Since Windows Defender is dependent to Windows Firewall, then that's a reason why it won't be turned on.

We suggest that you check your computer for any third-party security program via
    Programs and Features
    , then you will have to uninstall your third-party security software and reboot the system. Once you've rebooted your PC, turn on Windows Defender manually by following the steps below:

• Type Windows Defender in the Search bar and press
      Enter.

• Go to Settings and make sure that the Turn on real-time protection option is turned on.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. You should re-enable your antivirus or other security software as soon as you're
    done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Kindly update us with the result and let us know if you need further help.

Eileen Gal, Mar 7, 2021
Thema:

I am unable to turn Windows Defender on. I have no other antivirus programs installed so...

1. I am unable to turn Windows Defender on. I have no other antivirus programs installed so... - Similar Threads - unable turn Defender

2. I am unable to turn on any option in windows defender.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to turn on any option in windows defender.: The windows defender options are blurred.real-time protection, cloud delivered protection, automatic sample submission ,tamper protection. it says that these settings are managed by your admin.please help....
  3. I am unable to turn on any option in windows defender.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I am unable to turn on any option in windows defender.: The windows defender options are blurred.real-time protection, cloud delivered protection, automatic sample submission ,tamper protection. it says that these settings are managed by your admin.please help....
  4. Windows Defender sucks and so are other antiviruses Help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender sucks and so are other antiviruses Help!: My computer was recently hacked and I tried removing it with windows defender but windows defender does NOTHING about it! So I tried using other antiviruses, EVERY SINGLE ONE IN THE PAST HAS TOLD ME TO PAY FOR IT! And it's not cheap too! Is there any antivirus out there that...
  5. Windows Defender sucks and so are other antiviruses Help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender sucks and so are other antiviruses Help!: My computer was recently hacked and I tried removing it with windows defender but windows defender does NOTHING about it! So I tried using other antiviruses, EVERY SINGLE ONE IN THE PAST HAS TOLD ME TO PAY FOR IT! And it's not cheap too! Is there any antivirus out there that...
  6. Windows Defender sucks and so are other antiviruses Help!

7. My Defender Antivirus doesn`t start although i have no other antivirus program installed.

My Defender Antivirus doesn`t start although i have no other antivirus program installed.: Hi there, I`m new to microsoft community, and i need help. When i try to restart it, a dialog box opens with this written on it: the specified service does not exist as an installed service. This error is also present: 0x80070424 Error I recently installed windows 10 pro,...
  8. I am unable to Turn on Windows Defender

I am unable to Turn on Windows Defender: My laptop suddenly went to the blue screen saying it needs to restart. Ever since it is running extremely slow. Windows defender threat security got disabled and is not turning back on. The registry “DisableAntiSpyware” got deleted. I tried to restore at an earlier point but...
  9. I cannot turn on Windows Defender Antivirus.

I cannot turn on Windows Defender Antivirus.: I cannot turn on Windows Defender Antivirus. I entered the "Windows Key + R" (run program) keyboard shortcut. I entered "control" and pressed "Enter". I clicked on "System and Security". Then I clicked on "Security and maintenance". In the "Security and Maintenance" window,...
  10. Are other Antivirus Programs needed with Window Defender?

Are other Antivirus Programs needed with Window Defender?: My new system is running Windows Defender. I see that a McAfee subscription is also included with my purchase. I have always preferred Norton, and I have used it for years, but a knowledgeable IT friend says Defender is enough. Is it generally enough to guard against...