Windows 10: I am unable to update my Windows Defender

Discus and support I am unable to update my Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I need help updating Windows Defender. I try to update it and it always gets an error message. How do I go about to fix this? Troubleshooting is not... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MinhDang3, Sep 21, 2019.

1. MinhDang3 Win User

I am unable to update my Windows Defender

I need help updating Windows Defender. I try to update it and it always gets an error message. How do I go about to fix this? Troubleshooting is not going to work. Every time I try to update it says "this app couldn't check for virus and spyware definition updates." My internet connection is working, but it's not updating.

it says I have an error code"0x8024001e"

:)

MinhDang3, Sep 21, 2019
  2. davidhk Win User

Windows Defender disabled and is unable to start

OK. I am not sure if you can complete the steps below.......................
    In the search box, type services.msc > Enter
    Items in the Services box are listed alphabetically.
    Scroll down to Windows Defender Service...........................
    at Status heading, it should be.................................... Running
    at Startup type, it should be......................................... Automatic

I am unable to update my Windows Defender [​IMG]

If that is not what yours said, right click at Windows Defender Service > click Properties >
    can you change the Startup type to Automatic and Service status to Start ?
    If yes, do so and click OK when done.

davidhk, Sep 21, 2019
  3. Unable to turn off Windows Defender

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per description, you are unable to turn off windows defender.

I suggest you try restarting Windows Defender service and check if issue is resolved. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X key and type services.msc,
      hit enter.
    • Search Windows Defender Service.:1) Windows Defender Service ; 2)
      Windows Defender Network.
    • Right click on each and press Start.
    • Restart your computer and check if issue persist.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Ashish Sondhi, Sep 21, 2019
  4. I am unable to update my Windows Defender

Windows Defender unable to download updates

Hello Daniels,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

To be able to assist you better, I would like to know a few more details on the below questions.

1. Is the status of the Windows Defender active?

2. Did you check if there was any recent update already installed for Windows Defender?

Now, refer to the below suggested steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

A. Check whether the Windows date and Time set to Automatic and synced.

B. Disconnect all the peripheral devices except for the mouse and keyboard.

C. Update all your computer's drivers from manufacturer’s website.

D. Follow these steps to run the Windows inbuilt troubleshooter:

• Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.
    • Click on Troubleshooting tab.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
    • Select the Windows Update option from the list.
    • Click Next to run theTroubleshooter.
    E. Try to use the Windows Update troubleshooter and see if it helps.

Link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-8

(Also applies to Windows 10)

Write to us with the updated information. If you need further assistance, we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 21, 2019
Thema:

I am unable to update my Windows Defender

1. I am unable to update my Windows Defender - Similar Threads - unable update Defender

2. I am unable to access the windows defender.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to access the windows defender.: I recently reset my pc to a clean installation. However, this time upon trying to disable the windows anti-virus, I am met with a screen stating 'my IT admin has limited access to some areas of this app'. I have tried resetting my pc again but that did not work out in my...
  3. I am unable to access the windows defender.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am unable to access the windows defender.: I recently reset my pc to a clean installation. However, this time upon trying to disable the windows anti-virus, I am met with a screen stating 'my IT admin has limited access to some areas of this app'. I have tried resetting my pc again but that did not work out in my...
  4. I am unable to update my windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to update my windows 11.: I am unable to update my windows 11, the Microsoft store also says, 'one of the update service is not running properly.' I tried sfc /scannowcmd but it does not fix anything related to my problem, i also ran the command DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthcmd. when i...
  5. I am unable to update my windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am unable to update my windows 11.: I am unable to update my windows 11, the Microsoft store also says, 'one of the update service is not running properly.' I tried sfc /scannowcmd but it does not fix anything related to my problem, i also ran the command DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthcmd. when i...
  6. I am unable to remove a virus with windows defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I am unable to remove a virus with windows defender: So when I click remove, nothing happens, no matter how many times I press "remove", it doesn't let me remove itI click "remove" and the tab just closes, but once I click on it again its still there...
  7. I am unable to start Windows Defender on my system

I am unable to start Windows Defender on my system: [ATTACH] When I try to turn on the Windows Defender, I am getting this error response [ATTACH] And also all processes to enable or disable service is not available....
  8. I am unable to update my windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am unable to update my windows 10: I have been trying to update my windows 10 for many months without success. Have tried many suggested fixes without success and even called a tech in to try and fix, again without success. He informed me that my Windows 10 was corrupted and could not be fixed. Constantly get...
  9. I am unable to start my Windows Defender.

I am unable to start my Windows Defender.: I am a windows 8.1 user and I am unable to start my Windows Defender. It says it was switched of by Group policy. So I opened the Group Policy Folder and it was empty. I tried almost all the methods available on Internet but none of them worked. Please help....
  10. I am unable to Turn on Windows Defender

I am unable to Turn on Windows Defender: My laptop suddenly went to the blue screen saying it needs to restart. Ever since it is running extremely slow. Windows defender threat security got disabled and is not turning back on. The registry “DisableAntiSpyware” got deleted. I tried to restore at an earlier point but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i had windows defender on my windows 10 laptop until i performed a clean up why is mcafee windows defender now