Windows 10: I am unable to update my Windows Defender

Discus and support I am unable to update my Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I need help updating Windows Defender. I try to update it and it always gets an error message. How do I go about to fix this? Troubleshooting is not... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MinhDang3, Sep 21, 2019.

1. MinhDang3 Win User

I am unable to update my Windows Defender

I need help updating Windows Defender. I try to update it and it always gets an error message. How do I go about to fix this? Troubleshooting is not going to work. Every time I try to update it says "this app couldn't check for virus and spyware definition updates." My internet connection is working, but it's not updating.

it says I have an error code"0x8024001e"

:)

MinhDang3, Sep 21, 2019
  2. davidhk Win User

Windows Defender disabled and is unable to start

OK. I am not sure if you can complete the steps below.......................
    In the search box, type services.msc > Enter
    Items in the Services box are listed alphabetically.
    Scroll down to Windows Defender Service...........................
    at Status heading, it should be.................................... Running
    at Startup type, it should be......................................... Automatic

I am unable to update my Windows Defender [​IMG]

If that is not what yours said, right click at Windows Defender Service > click Properties >
    can you change the Startup type to Automatic and Service status to Start ?
    If yes, do so and click OK when done.

davidhk, Sep 21, 2019
  3. Unable to turn off Windows Defender

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per description, you are unable to turn off windows defender.

I suggest you try restarting Windows Defender service and check if issue is resolved. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X key and type services.msc,
      hit enter.
    • Search Windows Defender Service.:1) Windows Defender Service ; 2)
      Windows Defender Network.
    • Right click on each and press Start.
    • Restart your computer and check if issue persist.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Ashish Sondhi, Sep 21, 2019
  4. I am unable to update my Windows Defender

Windows Defender unable to download updates

Hello Daniels,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

To be able to assist you better, I would like to know a few more details on the below questions.

1. Is the status of the Windows Defender active?

2. Did you check if there was any recent update already installed for Windows Defender?

Now, refer to the below suggested steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

A. Check whether the Windows date and Time set to Automatic and synced.

B. Disconnect all the peripheral devices except for the mouse and keyboard.

C. Update all your computer's drivers from manufacturer’s website.

D. Follow these steps to run the Windows inbuilt troubleshooter:

• Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.
    • Click on Troubleshooting tab.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
    • Select the Windows Update option from the list.
    • Click Next to run theTroubleshooter.
    E. Try to use the Windows Update troubleshooter and see if it helps.

Link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-8

(Also applies to Windows 10)

Write to us with the updated information. If you need further assistance, we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 21, 2019
Thema:

I am unable to update my Windows Defender

1. I am unable to update my Windows Defender - Similar Threads - unable update Defender

2. I can't open Windows Security or Defender and I am unable to update or verify account...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I can't open Windows Security or Defender and I am unable to update or verify account...: Two Major Problems: You 1. Whenever I attempt to open Windows Defender or Windows Security I am greeted with a message saying, "You'll need a new message to open this windowsdefender link"[ATTACH]...
  3. Windows defender unable to update

Windows defender unable to update: Hi everone i am using windows 10 profession and dell 7510 core i7 laptop i am trying to upgrade defender it shows pending to install but automaticall it closes it is unable install is there anyother way...
  4. I am unable to install an update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am unable to install an update: Hi, I have been trying for what seems like months now to install the following update: 2019-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4487029) Every time I go through the process of installing it which takes about 20-25 minutes I get a...
  5. I am unable to activate Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    I am unable to activate Windows: I am unable to activate Windows. Can you help me to activate windows Thank you Dr Belete https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-unable-to-activate-windows/ee071dd4-e3df-4ede-8040-2922aca23b5d
  6. I am unable to sign in in my desktop.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am unable to sign in in my desktop.: Hello, I have me and my brother as Windows account user in my desktop. I restarted the PC yesterday and after that, there is message coming that the PC is unlock. I tried each sign in option and there was no success. I am attaching the screenshot for that. I searched...
  7. Unable to Update Windows Defender

Unable to Update Windows Defender: virus and spyware definitions cannot be updated [Original Title: windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-protectwindows8_1/unable-to-update-windows-defender/282e8f47-0f3d-4a97-a90c-0b9d024a0b35
  8. Unable to update windows defender

Unable to update windows defender: Unable to update Windows defender. Kept coming up with the message Erro Code 0x80004004 'The definition updates could not be installed Any suggestions please...
  9. I am unable to sign in to windows. .

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am unable to sign in to windows. .: I am unable to sign in. This occurred after the Hello option appeared on the sign in screen. Now if you touch any key the computer shuts down....
  10. Why I am not able to update Windows Defender in my laptop

Why I am not able to update Windows Defender in my laptop: Dear Sir, From last 2 days many times I have tried to update the security patch, but every time it gets failed; although the full connectivity is there. Please resolve the issue. Regards, Abhishek Kuliyal...