Windows 10: I am unable to use the app I have installed to open a certain file type

Discus and support I am unable to use the app I have installed to open a certain file type in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am attempting to open an .RPY file using PyCharm Community Editor, but Windows 10 is only giving me the option to search the Windows Store for an app... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IAmYourKing, Sep 9, 2021.

1. I am unable to use the app I have installed to open a certain file type

I am attempting to open an .RPY file using PyCharm Community Editor, but Windows 10 is only giving me the option to search the Windows Store for an app to open the file. The option to browse the computer for an app to use is not available. I have also tried going to Apps - Default apps - Choose default apps by file type in order to change the file association there, but the .RPY file type is not shown there. I have also tried going to the file and clicking properties in order to choose an app through there, but the same problem occurs where it only allows me to look for an app on the Windows S

:)

IAmYourKing, Sep 9, 2021
  2. binks Win User

How to change default app to open certain file types.

It's not as simple as it seems I am unable to use the app I have installed to open a certain file type :)
    Although it's easy as pie to change default apps by type file, but how to do it if I want to use app that's not on the default Window list?
    Like in this example,

I am unable to use the app I have installed to open a certain file type [​IMG]

File is opened by IE but I have installed in my system programme called Notepad++ and I want it to open .xml files whenever i double click on them. But Notepad++ is not on the Windows list

So how to set this up to open .xml files with Notepad++?

binks, Sep 9, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    How to change default app for file type

@Bree - yes, I'm quite aware of this thanks, but as you will see it's missing. I recall reading that clicking the dialogue at a certain point in blank space made it appear, and trying that once successfully, but doesn't seem to help now. Plenty of other similar reports of this option being missing.

'Fix' described here: (essentially unassociate the extension)
    Windows 10 "Always use this app" checkbox missing - Super User

dalchina, Sep 9, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

I am unable to use the app I have installed to open a certain file type

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Bree, Sep 9, 2021
Thema:

I am unable to use the app I have installed to open a certain file type

1. I am unable to use the app I have installed to open a certain file type - Similar Threads - unable app installed

2. I am unable to install certain apps in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to install certain apps in windows 11: It randomly happens with certain .exe and .msi apps where when I try to install it tries to take me to the windows store to find an app to open. If I hit yes - it goes to the store and says app not found. If I hit no it of course fails to install. When I hit properties on the...
  3. I am unable to install certain apps in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am unable to install certain apps in windows 11: It randomly happens with certain .exe and .msi apps where when I try to install it tries to take me to the windows store to find an app to open. If I hit yes - it goes to the store and says app not found. If I hit no it of course fails to install. When I hit properties on the...
  4. I have Win 10 and am having a problem with opening certain apps which disappear...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have Win 10 and am having a problem with opening certain apps which disappear...: I am having trouble with certain apps in Windows 10 which open but then close immediately. The run the command is a particular culprit amongst others...
  5. I have Win 10 and am having a problem with opening certain apps which disappear...

I have Win 10 and am having a problem with opening certain apps which disappear...: I am having trouble with certain apps in Windows 10 which open but then close immediately. The run the command is a particular culprit amongst others...
  6. I have Win 10 and am having a problem with opening certain apps which disappear...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. How to change default app to open certain file types.

How to change default app to open certain file types.: It's not as simple as it seems :) Although it's easy as pie to change default apps by type file, but how to do it if I want to use app that's not on the default Window list? Like in this example, [img] File is opened by IE but I have installed in my system programme called...
  8. I have bought an app and am unable to install from the store.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have bought an app and am unable to install from the store.: I have bought standard Minecraft from the Microsoft store and my account recognizes that i own the game but when i go to install it on my windows 10 laptop i cant get my device to come up as available. I've checked system requirements, updates, settings that i understand and...
  9. I am unable to type the letter \/

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am unable to type the letter \/: I installed a Auto clicker... I linked it to the letter \/ (I know, stupid). Howe\/er I do not know how to fix this specific problem. If any is able to assist, I would be extremely thankful. Especially because I ha\/e a paper to write....
  10. Unable to run certain apps even though I am an administrator

Unable to run certain apps even though I am an administrator: I am having problems running some apps in my laptop. This happens when I install apps to my C://Users// folder. I don't see any problems during the install. For example, I installed the Eclipse IDE, however some features didn't work because of access being denied. I managed...