Windows 10: I backed up my computer on a harddrive and the backup was smaller than my C drive

Discus and support I backed up my computer on a harddrive and the backup was smaller than my C drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is this normal? The backup was 258 gb when the C drive is 602gb full. It took a long time to do, and it looks like my files are there. At least from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DelaniNeal, Nov 2, 2020.

1. I backed up my computer on a harddrive and the backup was smaller than my C drive

Is this normal? The backup was 258 gb when the C drive is 602gb full. It took a long time to do, and it looks like my files are there. At least from what I could tell. Is it the difference between having the applications downloaded or something?

:)

DelaniNeal, Nov 2, 2020
  2. jrj1040 Win User

Questions on C:\ Drive Backup

*Original Title: Backup C drive

I have a Lenovo K330 PC which I bought in 2011 with Windows 7 Home. Since then I’ve upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and now to Windows 10 Professional. My C: drive no longer has the Lenovo rescue partition. I have a portable WD Passport with
    1 GB used to coordinate data between computers. I backup my data weekly on a removable 298 GB hard drive. I currently have no system backups. I see several backup alternatives:

• Windows 7 Backup & Restore
    • Norton 360 Backup
    • Cobian 11 Backup
    My concern is my C: drive is 5 years old. When it fails I’m up a creek. I refuse to go to the "cloud." I tried Windows 7 Backup and Recovery on my Passport. When finished I got a warning that some files were not copied. Not
    what I wanted to see. Will it work?

jrj1040, Nov 2, 2020
  3. dch53 Win User
    Can File History backup the contents of drives other than the C:\ drive?

Thanks Greg.

My Data drive, "M:\" is an internal drive, not a USB drive. I'm backing-up to an external 2TB USB drive.

As I said, I've used Windows Backup for many years and never had a problem.

File History seems attractive because it keeps a records of all file versions.

My questions still stand:

1. Can File History backup files on other than the C:\ drive? For example if I add M:\ to the "Backup these folders" list.
    2. Does File History create an initial, full backup of folders listed in "Back up these folders"?
    Regards, Dave.

dch53, Nov 2, 2020
  4. Geekoid Win User

I backed up my computer on a harddrive and the backup was smaller than my C drive

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Nov 2, 2020
Thema:

I backed up my computer on a harddrive and the backup was smaller than my C drive

1. I backed up my computer on a harddrive and the backup was smaller than my C drive - Similar Threads - backed computer harddrive

2. I added a 2TB harddrive to my computer. Now 3 harddrives show up in disk mgmt d,h, and c. I...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I added a 2TB harddrive to my computer. Now 3 harddrives show up in disk mgmt d,h, and c. I...: I added a 2t hard drive to my computer. Now in disk mgmt i see 3 drives d,h, and c. I appears d and h are the same drive, How do I correct?? Thanks...
  3. I added a 2TB harddrive to my computer. Now 3 harddrives show up in disk mgmt d,h, and c. I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I added a 2TB harddrive to my computer. Now 3 harddrives show up in disk mgmt d,h, and c. I...: I added a 2t hard drive to my computer. Now in disk mgmt i see 3 drives d,h, and c. I appears d and h are the same drive, How do I correct?? Thanks...
  4. I added a 2TB harddrive to my computer. Now 3 harddrives show up in disk mgmt d,h, and c. I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I am trying to get a backup of my computer off a hard drive i backed it up to and it keeps...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am trying to get a backup of my computer off a hard drive i backed it up to and it keeps...: I switched from the win11 insider preview to base windows 10 and i cant get a backup of my computer it keeps getting stuck on MICROSOFT MICROSOFTEDGE.STABLE_96.0.1054.57_NEUTRAL_8WEKYB3D8...
  6. I am trying to get a backup of my computer off a hard drive i backed it up to and it keeps...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am trying to get a backup of my computer off a hard drive i backed it up to and it keeps...: I switched from the win11 insider preview to base windows 10 and i cant get a backup of my computer it keeps getting stuck on MICROSOFT MICROSOFTEDGE.STABLE_96.0.1054.57_NEUTRAL_8WEKYB3D8...
  7. I am trying to get a backup of my computer off a hard drive i backed it up to and it keeps...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. My Computer not showing harddrives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Computer not showing harddrives: Hello all,Since the recent update all the icons for my hard drives in the my computer tab are gone. The hard drives are all still there and accessible when i just enter the letter into the explorer and all letters are assigned correctly. So its not a driver or letter...
  9. can i make my scaling smaller than 100?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can i make my scaling smaller than 100?: so i've changed my resolution from 1080p to 720p for better frames in games, but whenever i do it, all my scaling gets messed up. Everything becomes really big (like desktop icons and such), and I can't figure out a way to get around this. The only thing I can do is zoom out...
  10. Hard drive shows much smaller than is

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive shows much smaller than is: You're quite welcome. Glad we can help. However, I suggest to use the smaller drive for Windows, 200 GB is enough (186 GB shown). You can transfer Windows back to it then use 1TB drive strictly for data. Easier to manage and backup. If you need help on this, let me know.