Windows 10: I believe it is called Focus Stealing? Obi Wan please help

Discus and support I believe it is called Focus Stealing? Obi Wan please help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Newbie, forgive my stupid questions. I will have a few things running in the background and tend to flick between them. Firefox, a word document and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by frogman007, Jul 1, 2018.

1. frogman007 Win User

I believe it is called Focus Stealing? Obi Wan please help

Newbie, forgive my stupid questions. I will have a few things running in the background and tend to flick between them. Firefox, a word document and say music. I click on a work file (usually excel) and can see it may take a few moments to download so I will start typing away elsewhere and not looking at the screen too much. Having typed a few words I look up to see I am typing into the downloaded item and not what I was actually meant to be typing into say a log in page etc. This is driving me mad. Please help

:)

frogman007, Jul 1, 2018
  2. condabest Win User

Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing

This is a general inquiry about how to disable specific programs' ability to steal focus/move their windows to front in windows 10. There used to be a registry you could edit to disable this I believe, but was removed for Windows 7(?) and apparently editing it (I've read [1]) doesn't affect anything.

Is there some way to edit a program's permission's or the registry or another setting to prevent either all programs or select programs from stealing focus etc? (This is for programs that don't give you the option of turning it off in their settings.)

Thanks for the help I believe it is called Focus Stealing? Obi Wan please help :)

[1] Preventing applications from stealing focus

condabest, Jul 1, 2018
  3. IrvS Win User
    Random explorer.exe stealing focus

This was an upgrade over W8.1.

Only basically happens once, shortly after booting. Only time Thunderbird came to the front was when I was doing a reply. Otherwise I can't tell where the focus went.

I have WinPatrol running and it has the Startup list and other uses. There is nothing I can see that would even suggest that would be happening. McAfee Live Safe is my Security Suite and its scans find nothing. I've also run Hijack Hunter too.

I hope the FOCUS program will shed some light on this. The other program I needed to set the time limit for it to run but it never caught it.

IrvS, Jul 1, 2018
  4. Jeeves Win User

Start Screen (tablet mode) steals focus

I am currently running Windows 10 Home in Tablet Mode.
    Problem is, the Start Screen steals focus.
    For instance, let's say I write a new message in Thunderbird. After I post it, the message window is closed, but focus does not go back to the originating program. Start Screen steals focus and I have to ALT-TAB to the program I was using.

Jeeves, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

1. I believe it is called Focus Stealing? Obi Wan please help - Similar Threads - believe called Focus

2. Okay I actually need help please help....

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Okay I actually need help please help....: From about 3pm today Ive been trying to fix this problem it seems no one has answers to or have had. For some reason the windows 10 im typing on right now is really fast when it comes to like looking stuff up or on youtube BUT, im trying to play games and for some of em it...
  3. I believe, I have ransomware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I believe, I have ransomware: I'm being chased by a ransom ware virus that claims that my computer is randomly sending out my account number and other information. I just got this computer from a repair shop without any protection so I need the best blocker that won't also block any authorized content as...
  4. I believe there is a virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I believe there is a virus: how to remove "microsoft popup" using windows defender [Original Title: virus] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/i-believe-there-is-a-virus/defbe10f-430c-40c5-8250-032b61d412fb
  5. Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing

in Windows 10 Support
    Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing: This is a general inquiry about how to disable specific programs' ability to steal focus/move their windows to front in windows 10. There used to be a registry you could edit to disable this I believe, but was removed for Windows 7(?) and apparently editing it (I've read [1])...
  6. Windows 10 programs steal focus, prevent?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 programs steal focus, prevent?: Windows 10 programs steal focus, a way to prevent from doing? Also what is the point? Does it serve a good purpose that I just don't see? *Confused 55662
  7. Start Screen (tablet mode) steals focus

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start Screen (tablet mode) steals focus: I am currently running Windows 10 Home in Tablet Mode. Problem is, the Start Screen steals focus. For instance, let's say I write a new message in Thunderbird. After I post it, the message window is closed, but focus does not go back to the originating program. Start...
  8. Random explorer.exe stealing focus

in Windows 10 Support
    Random explorer.exe stealing focus: I installed Win 10 x64 Home the other day and since then I have had nothing but problems. At random, explorer.exe will steal focus from the active task (can be firefox, can be Word doesn't matter what it is) making the system almost unusable. Current Hardware specs:...
  9. Windows Explorer stealing focus after done copying

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer stealing focus after done copying: I'm recently upgraded form windows 7 to windows 10. I'm facing the annoying issue that windows explorer steals the application focus after it finishes copying files and comes to front. Can anyone tell me if there is any option to disable this behavior? 36350
  10. Can't click, Windows Search steals the window focus

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click, Windows Search steals the window focus: Can't click anything it happens often and randomly, after a lot of head banging I discovered killing Search.exe) using the keyboard) would solve the problem until it happened again. The behavior is as if another window is taking focus or if you're clicking on something...