Windows 10: I believe it is called Focus Stealing? Obi Wan please help

Discus and support I believe it is called Focus Stealing? Obi Wan please help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Newbie, forgive my stupid questions. I will have a few things running in the background and tend to flick between them. Firefox, a word document and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by frogman007, Jul 1, 2018.

1. I believe it is called Focus Stealing? Obi Wan please help

Newbie, forgive my stupid questions. I will have a few things running in the background and tend to flick between them. Firefox, a word document and say music. I click on a work file (usually excel) and can see it may take a few moments to download so I will start typing away elsewhere and not looking at the screen too much. Having typed a few words I look up to see I am typing into the downloaded item and not what I was actually meant to be typing into say a log in page etc. This is driving me mad. Please help

:)

frogman007, Jul 1, 2018
  2. condabest Win User

Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing

This is a general inquiry about how to disable specific programs' ability to steal focus/move their windows to front in windows 10. There used to be a registry you could edit to disable this I believe, but was removed for Windows 7(?) and apparently editing it (I've read [1]) doesn't affect anything.

Is there some way to edit a program's permission's or the registry or another setting to prevent either all programs or select programs from stealing focus etc? (This is for programs that don't give you the option of turning it off in their settings.)

Thanks for the help I believe it is called Focus Stealing? Obi Wan please help :)

[1] Preventing applications from stealing focus

condabest, Jul 1, 2018
  3. IrvS Win User
    Random explorer.exe stealing focus

This was an upgrade over W8.1.

Only basically happens once, shortly after booting. Only time Thunderbird came to the front was when I was doing a reply. Otherwise I can't tell where the focus went.

I have WinPatrol running and it has the Startup list and other uses. There is nothing I can see that would even suggest that would be happening. McAfee Live Safe is my Security Suite and its scans find nothing. I've also run Hijack Hunter too.

I hope the FOCUS program will shed some light on this. The other program I needed to set the time limit for it to run but it never caught it.

IrvS, Jul 1, 2018
  4. Jeeves Win User

I believe it is called Focus Stealing? Obi Wan please help

Start Screen (tablet mode) steals focus

I am currently running Windows 10 Home in Tablet Mode.
    Problem is, the Start Screen steals focus.
    For instance, let's say I write a new message in Thunderbird. After I post it, the message window is closed, but focus does not go back to the originating program. Start Screen steals focus and I have to ALT-TAB to the program I was using.

Jeeves, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

I believe it is called Focus Stealing? Obi Wan please help

1. I believe it is called Focus Stealing? Obi Wan please help - Similar Threads - believe called Focus

2. Process called "MSCTFIME UI" stealing focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Process called "MSCTFIME UI" stealing focus: I was playing video games on my computer when suddenly it paused for no reason. Thinking this was a random one-time occurance, I kept playing. However, the game paused again, and again after that. I thought that the game was losing focus, so I went to settings and turned off...
  3. Process called "MSCTFIME UI" stealing focus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Process called "MSCTFIME UI" stealing focus: I was playing video games on my computer when suddenly it paused for no reason. Thinking this was a random one-time occurance, I kept playing. However, the game paused again, and again after that. I thought that the game was losing focus, so I went to settings and turned off...
  4. OneDrive “Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi, you’re my last hope!”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive “Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi, you’re my last hope!”: “Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi, you’re my last hope!” My younger brother was working on a book when he died. In his will he left the manuscript to me and his closest friends, asking that we finish the editing and publish it. Unfortunately, he didn’t leave us the passwords to his...
  5. OneDrive “Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi, you’re my last hope!”

OneDrive “Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi, you’re my last hope!”: “Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi, you’re my last hope!” My younger brother was working on a book when he died. In his will he left the manuscript to me and his closest friends, asking that we finish the editing and publish it. Unfortunately, he didn’t leave us the passwords to his...
  6. mstsc.exe stealing focus

mstsc.exe stealing focus: Hello.I have a problem on my Windows 11 PC. Whenever I do anything on my PC, a program called mstsc.exe steals focus of my opened window. This happens every few minutes. The program is located in C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe. I used this program:...
  7. mstsc.exe stealing focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mstsc.exe stealing focus: Hello.I have a problem on my Windows 11 PC. Whenever I do anything on my PC, a program called mstsc.exe steals focus of my opened window. This happens every few minutes. The program is located in C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe. I used this program:...
  8. SearchUI Stealing Focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SearchUI Stealing Focus: Hi, I've recently started playing RDR2 but every few minutes SearchUI.exe steals focus from the game. From what I've read, you are unable to uninstall Cortana or rename to stop the process from running. Has anybody had a similar issue and been able to resolve? Windows...
  9. Focus stealing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Focus stealing: I have an application that has drop down menus for work. (like a status change from started to completed) And if I have the work application open, and I open any other application, Skype, Internet explorer, Chrome anything, AFTER the work app is running, I can no longer use...
  10. turn off focus stealing

in Windows 10 Support
    turn off focus stealing: Hey, how do i turn off focus stealing ? i have already in regedit under ForegroundLockTimeout set 30d40, but still when i am in game for example, pop out windows steal focus and minimizes the game. I don't know about anything else. Is there any way how to turn this off. Thank...