Windows 10: I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Discus and support I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; The Windows Recovery Environment (WINRE) partition that has the errors in it is the second partition "2 - WINRE". It does not have a drive letter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hollyoaks777, Mar 1, 2017.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

The Windows Recovery Environment (WINRE) partition that has the errors in it is the second partition "2 - WINRE". It does not have a drive letter assigned to it. You have never run chkdsk on it because it does not have a drive letter assigned to it - and it should not have a drive letter assigned to it..

You have a couple of choices. You can just uncheck the checkbox for backing it up and back up the rest of the drive, excluding it. Or you can delete that partition entirely from your hard drive. Those are the easy choices. Or you can attempt to repair it. That's not so easy.

If it was my computer, I would make sure I have a good backup of my OS partition. In your screenshot it is "4 - Windows (C*Smile". Then I would wipe the entire hard drive. Do a full surface scan of it to check for and lock out bad sectors. Do a clean install of Windows 10. Then restore my saved OS partition backup over the top of the newly installed Windows 10 OS partition.

One other option might be to install a program like MiniTool Partition Wizard. I believe it has a disk scanning function that would identify and lock out the bad sectors, even in the partitions with no drive letters.
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

How to Make Disk Surface Test | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial

I'd actually try the MiniTool Partition Wizard surface scan first. It will probably take a couple hours to complete. Although, I just read the complete tutorial and it states that MiniTool Partition Wizard will only identify bad sectors, not lock them out. Maybe someone else knows a utility that will do that easily.

NavyLCDR, Mar 2, 2017
  2. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 2, 2017
  3. Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you's. I am using Acronis disk director. To try and sort things out. Using my smart phone to get back to you's c disk is now being tested
    And trying to fix bad sectors. I will add to people's reputation tomorrow. As I can't get on the computer it's doing it during reboot. Thanks everyone for their input. I don't like using smart phone on the forum. I have a few questions on how to overlay a partition on a clean install.
    Would that not mean I'm putting the bad sectors back on the laptop. I have still to follow your instructions. So I'll get back to you's tomorrow as this will take all night.

Thanks again for all your help. Oh I left out D drive and it still found bad sectors. Anyway send you's an update tomorrow. Thanks

hollyoaks777, Mar 3, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I think you might need to face the fact that your installed hard drive is failing.

NavyLCDR, Mar 3, 2017
  5. Terrible for a laptop coming up on only 3 years old this year. I won't be buying HP again. My last laptop went over 10 years old. Before I had to replace a hard drive. Lasted me about 15 years. Can you check my specs out. And let me know the cheapest place to get a new hard drive and could I put windows 7 professional on it. Instead of windows 10 right from the gets go?

6. cereberus Win User
    This comes in the category "crap happens". You can buy any pc model you like and statistically some people will be unlucky and get premature failure - hell I remember the days when 3 years was considered good!

You contradict yourself when you ask for the cheapest hard drive after moaning about early failure - it is still a fundamental adage even with pcs i.e. you get what you pay for.

Of course you could put 7 pro on it if laptop has suitable drivers.

cereberus, Mar 3, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    For what you are running now, a 1TB 2.5" hard drive, about $55. You won't save much, maybe $5 by going down to a 750GB.

NavyLCDR, Mar 3, 2017
  8. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Oh that's OK I thought it was going to cost over £100. But that's a great price. Don't think I'll get it for under £100 in the UK. Off to sleep now. Maybe a miracle will happen. Over night lol. Can you recommend a place to buy in the USA. If that's where your from?

9. clam1952 Win User
    UK - Laptop internal drive 1TB around £50 to £70 from Ebuyer just had a quick look.

clam1952, Mar 3, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
  11. primevyl Win User
    Western digital is more reliable and fairly competitive in pricing

primevyl, Mar 3, 2017
  12. And I thought the local computer shop was doing me a favour by selling me a 250GB hard drive for £60 for my Dell Inspiron 1545.

13. Steve C Win User

Have you considered a SSD drive which will be far faster than a HDD? Work out how much storage space you really need and look at the SSD prices that suit you. I swapped the 1T HDD on my Dell laptop for a 500GB Samsung SSD and I still have tons of free space.

Steve C, Mar 4, 2017
  14. What does a sad drive do different from hdd drive?Steve.

hollyoaks777, Mar 4, 2017
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    Biggest difference is SSD's are VERY FAST ....much faster than any HDD Holly ...

OldMike65, Mar 4, 2017
Thema:

1. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis - Similar Threads - bought Seagate external

2. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.: I recently bought a Seagate External hard drive. I managed to save 194GB data only. I cannot use my remaining free space in external hard drive. How can I get the available space to work?...
  3. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.: I recently bought a Seagate External hard drive. I managed to save 194GB data only. I cannot use my remaining free space in external hard drive. How can I get the available space to work?...
  4. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive: For some reason when I try and install a game onto my external hard drive it says that the location isn't set up for installing games and when I tried to change it from my C drive to my D drive it came up with a thing that said "Delete Other Apps" and when I press yes there...
  6. will microsoft let me use external hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    will microsoft let me use external hard drive: will microsoft let me buy external hard drive outside their store https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-microsoft-let-me-use-external-hard-drive/a6799d4b-a309-41e8-be23-a0eeb077aa65
  7. how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...: Every time I try to do it, it keeps giving me error messages like Those files are open in another system. or if I try to remove the old Seagate so I can attach a new one it says error. I just want to put the new one on and tell it to receive the backup files....
  8. Bought Used PC; Won't Let Me Activate It

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bought Used PC; Won't Let Me Activate It: Just recently, I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad from 2nd and Charles to try for college. The problem I find, however, is that it states that it can't activate Windows. All it keeps giving me is the Error Code: 0x8007007B The version of Windows is 1511 (unless I can update it with...
  9. Seagate External Hard Drive not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard Drive not working: I have been trying for several months to understand why my external drive is not working, there are no drive lights flashing although it is humming. I have checked it all out in Device Manager, etc and it recorded as healthy and running correctly. In frustration I have...
  10. Seagate External Hard drive Decryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard drive Decryption: My Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) was encrypted in Microsoft Windows 10. When I tried to decrypt it and removed password, Initially, it was removed. but when i plugged it in again in PC, it started asking for password / recovery key. I am using the same key which was...