Windows 10: I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Discus and support I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Biggest difference is SSD's are VERY FAST ....much faster than any HDD Holly ... Thanks. Is it just a faster boot up?or faster at everything when your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hollyoaks777, Mar 1, 2017.

1. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Thanks. Is it just a faster boot up?or faster at everything when your OS is up and running?

hollyoaks777, Mar 4, 2017
  2. OldMike65 Win User

Faster on Everything you do. *Smile

OldMike65, Mar 4, 2017
  3. Thanks Mike.

4. OldMike65 Win User

I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Do a Google search for SSD vs HDD and read some of the articles on the differences between the two drives. Another point for SSD's they have No Moving parts Holly, can be more dependable Than an HDD.

OldMike65, Mar 4, 2017
  5. What's the best out of these please and it's a 2.5inch I need correct? I was looking at the Toshiba one. Does it have 8gb of ram?

6. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, Mar 4, 2017
  7. hollyoaks777, Mar 4, 2017
  8. clam1952 Win User

Isn't this a laptop? In which case you don't need any adaptor kits, laptop drives are 2.5" According to your specs this is the actual drive you have at the moment
    TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 which is a 2.5" drive.

clam1952, Mar 4, 2017
  9. I thought so. Thank you.

10. Steve C Win User
    This thread started out with problems backing up to an external HDD but it now seems you also have problems with the installed system disk in your laptop - is that correct? If so, please make a complete system backup now of your laptop's drive before it fails. Most people on this forum recommend Macrium Reflect Free. It will then be fairly straightforward to recover your system to a new system disk. Otherwise you will need to do a clean install of Windows 10 and reinstall all of your programs and data.

Boot time on my SSD based Dell laptop is 15s (no fast boot) and access to everything is far faster. The laptop is more robust since the SSD is solid state and you don't risk damaging a fragile spinning disk in a HDD. SSDs may also draw less power. You won't want to go back to a slow HDD based PC once you have a SSD!

I bought a Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB for my laptop last year but there may be better options now. The disk just fits in place easily if you have the standard 2.5" mounting bay. I just spotted looking at my Amazon orders that I paid £110 for this SSD last year but the price is now £150! Maybe this is due to Brexit and the decline in the value of sterling?

Steve C, Mar 4, 2017
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    If I remember correctly Steve, Holly has tried making her backup twice at least, using both Acronis and Macrium, failed everytime.

OldMike65, Mar 4, 2017
  12. Correct apart from the pc is HP Dell is my old pc. But basically that's what I'm going to have to do. I have wondered. How does that work copying an image onto a new hard drive. Does it not copy all the faults too?

13. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

I think it is windows 10 when i built my recent build i had a big problem getting my Seagate drive to function normally under windows 10

The drive path might be flawed i would go to Disk Management and see if he can get it to behave correctly if i recall i had to get in there and do a bunch of stuff to make the hard drive usable
    I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis [​IMG]

solarstarshines, Mar 4, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    The problem is NOT the Seagate external hard drive! The error in post #25 is VERY CLEAR. It is bad sectors on the installed hard drive which cannot be read and that is halting whatever backup program is being used. You can do whatever you want to to the external hard drive, including replacing it, and that will not change anything because the bad sectors are on the internal hard drive!

Yes and no. Whatever files that are affected by the bad sectors will be lost. As of post #25, the bad sectors were limited to the Windows Recovery Environment Partition. When you copy the old hard drive to the new hard drive, the affected files will not be copied.

Here's a little trick. If the bad sectors have not spread, and are still only in the Windows Recovery Environment partition, just delete it. Seriously. If there are no bad sectors in any of the other partitions, just delete the WinRE partition (I would use MiniTool Partition Wizard). All your problems will go away. Until the bad sectors grow and start to affect the other partitions. Do not confuse the WinRE partition with the D: drive recovery partition. We are talking about the WinRE partition that does not have a drive letter assigned to it.

NavyLCDR, Mar 4, 2017
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    Holly, please listen to NavyLCDR he knows what he's talking about.

OldMike65, Mar 4, 2017
Thema:

1. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis - Similar Threads - bought Seagate external

2. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.: I recently bought a Seagate External hard drive. I managed to save 194GB data only. I cannot use my remaining free space in external hard drive. How can I get the available space to work?...
  3. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.: I recently bought a Seagate External hard drive. I managed to save 194GB data only. I cannot use my remaining free space in external hard drive. How can I get the available space to work?...
  4. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive: For some reason when I try and install a game onto my external hard drive it says that the location isn't set up for installing games and when I tried to change it from my C drive to my D drive it came up with a thing that said "Delete Other Apps" and when I press yes there...
  6. will microsoft let me use external hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    will microsoft let me use external hard drive: will microsoft let me buy external hard drive outside their store https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-microsoft-let-me-use-external-hard-drive/a6799d4b-a309-41e8-be23-a0eeb077aa65
  7. how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...: Every time I try to do it, it keeps giving me error messages like Those files are open in another system. or if I try to remove the old Seagate so I can attach a new one it says error. I just want to put the new one on and tell it to receive the backup files....
  8. Bought Used PC; Won't Let Me Activate It

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bought Used PC; Won't Let Me Activate It: Just recently, I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad from 2nd and Charles to try for college. The problem I find, however, is that it states that it can't activate Windows. All it keeps giving me is the Error Code: 0x8007007B The version of Windows is 1511 (unless I can update it with...
  9. Seagate External Hard Drive not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard Drive not working: I have been trying for several months to understand why my external drive is not working, there are no drive lights flashing although it is humming. I have checked it all out in Device Manager, etc and it recorded as healthy and running correctly. In frustration I have...
  10. Seagate External Hard drive Decryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard drive Decryption: My Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) was encrypted in Microsoft Windows 10. When I tried to decrypt it and removed password, Initially, it was removed. but when i plugged it in again in PC, it started asking for password / recovery key. I am using the same key which was...