Windows 10: I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Discus and support I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; The problem is NOT the Seagate external hard drive! The error in post #25 is VERY CLEAR. It is bad sectors on the installed hard drive which cannot be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hollyoaks777, Mar 1, 2017.

1. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis [​IMG]

Is this talking about my external hard drive will loose everything. Or My internal drive will loose everything. Quick answer please countdown to failure has begun. Very unresponsive. I will try and add to peoples rep. while I still have an os

hollyoaks777, Mar 4, 2017

2. I don't know what to say here I am listening. And I know it's my internal drive that's failing. My question was about the bad sectors on my internal drive being copied to my new drive whatever it may be. I wasn't questioning anyone's advice just the person that said I would need a 2.5" to 3.5" disk converter pack. That was the only thing I questioned. And i was right to do so as I only need a 2.5" disc. But whoever it was said I needed a 3.5" converter pack.

3. OldMike65 Win User
    That was Me Holly, I don't have a laptop, so never replaced a drive in one, I only work on Desktop's . Sorry for the that. But you need to follow Navy's advice ...to the letter. Using Mini Tool Partition Wizard. Link below.
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free
    Then you can use that to delete your WinRE partition.
    Then you can make your Complete image backup.

OldMike65, Mar 4, 2017
  4. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

OK mate. I just want one question answered I want to copy the disk to my seagate external hard drive. But I don't want to loose my data on my internal drive. I am unsure what drive it's talking about that I will loose all the data on. If it's the external hard drive it doesn't matter. Thanks for the help again. Well appreciated.

5. OldMike65 Win User
    You posted on msg #25 screenshots of the bad drive, take a look. This was your Internal Drive Holly!!!! This IS the drive with problems.

OldMike65, Mar 4, 2017
  6. Sorry I should have been more specific it's #59 and it's a shot of the mini-tool wizard saying I will loose everything on whatever drive it's talking about. It's on page 6 near the bottom.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    That is talking about the 3TB External hard drive selected as the destination disk that will be erased.

NavyLCDR, Mar 4, 2017
  8. clam1952 Win User

I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Need to slow down here, you appear to be cloning the drive not creating a backup image.

Only use minitool to delete the partition on the PC's drive, do not use it for the backup or it will wipe the External drive.

I could add more but lets wait for NavyLCDR to return.

Edit: I see he has.

clam1952, Mar 4, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, you are correct. I don't know why @hollyoaks777 was trying to copy the drive with MiniTool Partition Wizard. I tend to answer questions as they are asked and heck, if she was successful in copying the drive with MiniTool Partition Wizard then she would have sort of a backup stored on the external drive.

The simple solution, assuming that the bad sectors have not spread outside the WinRE partition is to just delete the WinRE partition and then make a backup image of the whole drive with Macrium Reflect.

The only thing the WinRE partition provides is the recovery environment menu that you get when you hold down the shift key and click Restart from the power menu in Windows. That same menu is available by booting from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD, so it's not that big of a deal to lose it.

NavyLCDR, Mar 4, 2017
  10. Correct me if I am wrong but according to Macrium WinRE partition doesn't have anything wrong with it anymore. Correct? Note I told it not to ignore bad sectors after using Acronis disk director. I hope it's all fixed. ButI very much doubt that. As Macrium is taking forever to backup 690.5bb/s

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, it looks like it did get past previous bad sectors in the WinRE partition. Move the blue button all the way over to High Priority.

NavyLCDR, Mar 4, 2017
  12. Backup failed

hollyoaks777, Mar 5, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

I would recommend you start copying files only that you want to keep (movies, photos, documents, etc) to the external drive. It looks like you are not going to get a complete backup. When you replace the hard drive with a new one, you will have to do a clean install of Windows 10. You will probably have to use another computer to download and make a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD, unless you have a friend that already has one made they can let you use or give to you.

NavyLCDR, Mar 5, 2017
  14. clam1952 Win User
    In Macrium Reflect under Advanced, there is an Ignore bad sectors when creating images option, worth a shot maybe?

I'd still do as NavyLCDR says though and save all your important data in case you do have to end up re-installing.

clam1952, Mar 5, 2017
  15. I was thinking of putting my Dell hard drive it has windows 7 professional on it. It's only 250GB HDD. Would that not work?

hollyoaks777, Mar 5, 2017
Thema:

1. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis - Similar Threads - bought Seagate external

2. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.: I recently bought a Seagate External hard drive. I managed to save 194GB data only. I cannot use my remaining free space in external hard drive. How can I get the available space to work?...
  3. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.: I recently bought a Seagate External hard drive. I managed to save 194GB data only. I cannot use my remaining free space in external hard drive. How can I get the available space to work?...
  4. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive: For some reason when I try and install a game onto my external hard drive it says that the location isn't set up for installing games and when I tried to change it from my C drive to my D drive it came up with a thing that said "Delete Other Apps" and when I press yes there...
  6. will microsoft let me use external hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    will microsoft let me use external hard drive: will microsoft let me buy external hard drive outside their store https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-microsoft-let-me-use-external-hard-drive/a6799d4b-a309-41e8-be23-a0eeb077aa65
  7. how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...: Every time I try to do it, it keeps giving me error messages like Those files are open in another system. or if I try to remove the old Seagate so I can attach a new one it says error. I just want to put the new one on and tell it to receive the backup files....
  8. Bought Used PC; Won't Let Me Activate It

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bought Used PC; Won't Let Me Activate It: Just recently, I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad from 2nd and Charles to try for college. The problem I find, however, is that it states that it can't activate Windows. All it keeps giving me is the Error Code: 0x8007007B The version of Windows is 1511 (unless I can update it with...
  9. Seagate External Hard Drive not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard Drive not working: I have been trying for several months to understand why my external drive is not working, there are no drive lights flashing although it is humming. I have checked it all out in Device Manager, etc and it recorded as healthy and running correctly. In frustration I have...
  10. Seagate External Hard drive Decryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard drive Decryption: My Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) was encrypted in Microsoft Windows 10. When I tried to decrypt it and removed password, Initially, it was removed. but when i plugged it in again in PC, it started asking for password / recovery key. I am using the same key which was...