Windows 10: I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Discus and support I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Also ...Macrium is MUCH faster than Acronis .....plus takes up a lot less space on your hard drive. Unless you try running it on a dying drive of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hollyoaks777, Mar 1, 2017.

1. OldMike65 Win User

I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Also ...Macrium is MUCH faster than Acronis .....plus takes up a lot less space on your hard drive. Unless you try running it on a dying drive of course....

OldMike65, Mar 6, 2017

2. How does a backup save a dying disk?I don't understand that.

hollyoaks777, Mar 7, 2017
  3. I haven't found that in my case. When the drive was good. What version of Acronis are you using?

4. OldMike65 Win User

I completely removed Acronis about 2 years ago. Every year when Acronis came out with updates, the program kept getting bigger and bigger, and causing more problems then it was worth. Taking up HUGE amounts of hard drive space and actually slowing down my computer, even when it was not ruining. Its a Bloated piece of software. You will find VERY few people on here that still run Acronis.

OldMike65, Mar 7, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    @hollyoaks777,

I would suggest you create a USB flash drive or DVD of Kyhi's recovery tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Boot the computer from that and run Macrium Reflect included in his tools. Use that to attempt your backup with. You might have a better chance of succeeding because it will be backing up the Windows partition when it is not actually in use. Run Macrium Refelct while booted into Kyhi's recovery tools and the Windows partition on the hard drive is just data now and not an operating system that is running.

NavyLCDR, Mar 7, 2017
  6. SoFine409 Win User
    this is for a desktop drive not a laptop. So it's apple to oranges.

SoFine409, Mar 7, 2017
  7. SoFine409 Win User
    she just trying to get as much data off the dying disk as she can.

SoFine409, Mar 7, 2017
  8. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

OK I will be using Macrium from now on then
    Do you have to make a new flash drive for every download/update of it?

9. Please tell me the Toshiba drive will do my laptop. Just seen. It's for a desktop NavyLCDR

10. What do you mean it won't fit my laptop?it's 2.5"

11. I will do NavyLCDR

12. OldMike65 Win User
    Yes its a good idea to update your Macrium Flash drive too. All you do is stick it in your usb, and it will just overwrite itself. Don't take long.

OldMike65, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis - Similar Threads - bought Seagate external

2. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.: I recently bought a Seagate External hard drive. I managed to save 194GB data only. I cannot use my remaining free space in external hard drive. How can I get the available space to work?...
  3. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.: I recently bought a Seagate External hard drive. I managed to save 194GB data only. I cannot use my remaining free space in external hard drive. How can I get the available space to work?...
  4. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive: For some reason when I try and install a game onto my external hard drive it says that the location isn't set up for installing games and when I tried to change it from my C drive to my D drive it came up with a thing that said "Delete Other Apps" and when I press yes there...
  6. will microsoft let me use external hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    will microsoft let me use external hard drive: will microsoft let me buy external hard drive outside their store https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-microsoft-let-me-use-external-hard-drive/a6799d4b-a309-41e8-be23-a0eeb077aa65
  7. how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...: Every time I try to do it, it keeps giving me error messages like Those files are open in another system. or if I try to remove the old Seagate so I can attach a new one it says error. I just want to put the new one on and tell it to receive the backup files....
  8. Bought Used PC; Won't Let Me Activate It

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bought Used PC; Won't Let Me Activate It: Just recently, I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad from 2nd and Charles to try for college. The problem I find, however, is that it states that it can't activate Windows. All it keeps giving me is the Error Code: 0x8007007B The version of Windows is 1511 (unless I can update it with...
  9. Seagate External Hard Drive not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard Drive not working: I have been trying for several months to understand why my external drive is not working, there are no drive lights flashing although it is humming. I have checked it all out in Device Manager, etc and it recorded as healthy and running correctly. In frustration I have...
  10. Seagate External Hard drive Decryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard drive Decryption: My Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) was encrypted in Microsoft Windows 10. When I tried to decrypt it and removed password, Initially, it was removed. but when i plugged it in again in PC, it started asking for password / recovery key. I am using the same key which was...