Windows 10: I can delete files, but the folders need permission...which I can't seem to get...from myself

Discus and support I can delete files, but the folders need permission...which I can't seem to get...from myself in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Before anyone answers, I've done the security tab > advanced options and all that. For all I know that's how I got even further into this mess. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TheExiledDraco, Jul 10, 2020.

1. I can delete files, but the folders need permission...which I can't seem to get...from myself

Before anyone answers, I've done the security tab > advanced options and all that. For all I know that's how I got even further into this mess. Is there a way I can reset all those options and start from scratch without resetting my computer?

:)

TheExiledDraco, Jul 10, 2020

2. Need permission from myself to delete a folder but I can't get it

Thanks. I'll try File Assassin next time.

In this case I can't remember every single step I took, but one thing I did was to change the ownership of the folder in the security advanced settings from myself to myself and to apply that to all subfolders and files. This ensured that all files and subfolders had the same ownership as the parent. I also had to disable inheritance for my user permissions so that the permissions for the folder I was trying to delete were independent of the parent folder. Then it worked.

ricecrispies, Jul 10, 2020
  3. simrick Win User
    Need permission from myself to delete a folder but I can't get it

Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting your resolution - it may help others in the future.

simrick, Jul 10, 2020
  4. I can delete files, but the folders need permission...which I can't seem to get...from myself

Need permission from myself to delete a folder but I can't get it

I am trying to delete a folder on an external hard disk that was created on another computer. First it tells me that I need administrator permissions to modify it, which I grant. Then it tells me that I need permission from dougal\robert to do so, dougal\robert being my own user account on the machine I am using. I have given full control in the security settings both to administrators and myself, but nothing will enable me to delete this folder. How do I get rid of the thing?

ricecrispies, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

I can delete files, but the folders need permission...which I can't seem to get...from myself

1. I can delete files, but the folders need permission...which I can't seem to get...from myself - Similar Threads - delete files folders

2. Windows 11 Cant Delete Folder Saying I Need Permission From Myself To Do It

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Cant Delete Folder Saying I Need Permission From Myself To Do It: Been having this issue for awhile where some folders are asking for permission to delete it.But im the owner of the folder/computer im logged in as admin.I tried safe boot deleting the folder and still gives me permissions denied errorI changed the permission/owner of the...
  3. Windows 11 Cant Delete Folder Saying I Need Permission From Myself To Do It

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Cant Delete Folder Saying I Need Permission From Myself To Do It: Been having this issue for awhile where some folders are asking for permission to delete it.But im the owner of the folder/computer im logged in as admin.I tried safe boot deleting the folder and still gives me permissions denied errorI changed the permission/owner of the...
  4. Why do i need permission from myself to delete and access my OWN files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do i need permission from myself to delete and access my OWN files?: Why do i need permission from myself to delete and access my OWN files?i've looked up solutions on microsoft answers and they all tell me to go to virus and protection etc and toggle off controlled folder access. when i try to access this page however via the search bar it...
  5. Why do i need permission from myself to delete and access my OWN files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do i need permission from myself to delete and access my OWN files?: Why do i need permission from myself to delete and access my OWN files?i've looked up solutions on microsoft answers and they all tell me to go to virus and protection etc and toggle off controlled folder access. when i try to access this page however via the search bar it...
  6. [HELP] I need permission from myself to delete Windows Apps.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    [HELP] I need permission from myself to delete Windows Apps.: I had bought Forza horizon 4 on the Microsoft store app and had installed it under my E: drive. Every couple of months I wipe my computer partially, removing applications that did not come with Windows 10. This happens to include games, like Forza. Trying to reinstall Forza,...
  7. This folder cannot be deleted and need permissions. Can I delete it?

This folder cannot be deleted and need permissions. Can I delete it?: In my computer now has three folder : 3aee90ad7421f4274d2db3 a88732416e1ce615e2 b0e71bf789a8f88380Each folder have the files: Windows10.0-KB4463927-x64 WinRAR archive Windows10.0-KB4463927-x64 XML document Windows10.0-KB4463927-x64-pkgProperties Text Document WSUSSCAN...
  8. Why do I need permission from MYSELF to delete files?

Why do I need permission from MYSELF to delete files?: I'm trying to delete unimportant files and folders, like windows mail. I make myself owner of said file/folder, give full control access to myself, the "USERS" group, and administrators (since I am one). When I go to delete the folder, I provide administrator access, and it...
  9. Need permission from myself to delete a folder but I can't get it

in Windows 10 Support
    Need permission from myself to delete a folder but I can't get it: I am trying to delete a folder on an external hard disk that was created on another computer. First it tells me that I need administrator permissions to modify it, which I grant. Then it tells me that I need permission from dougal\robert to do so, dougal\robert being my own...
  10. Require permission from myself to delete folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Require permission from myself to delete folder: When I try to delete some folders it asks me to give administrator permission to delete it so I do then it tells me I require permission from MSI/BBass (myself) to make changes to this folder. This has happened for multiple folders in my steam folder. I've tried giving myself...