Windows 10: I can no longer turn off/shutdown windows updates from service.msc

Discus and support I can no longer turn off/shutdown windows updates from service.msc in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, My windows 10 starts updating every morning and the update always fails and not only that it completely jams my whole computer. So i have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hepeerre_--, Aug 3, 2020.

1. I can no longer turn off/shutdown windows updates from service.msc

Hello,

My windows 10 starts updating every morning and the update always fails and not only that it completely jams my whole computer.

So i have been shutting it down manually now for months through service.msc -> windows update -> disable and then stop.

Today all the buttons for stopping windows update in the service.msc are greyed out, i cannot access any of them.

So my question is, how to regain access for the service.msc that i can turn off anything i please on my windows.

-Henri

:)

hepeerre_--, Aug 3, 2020
  2. BOX
    Box Win User

How can I turn off Wifi on shutdown on Windows 10?

@dalchina: Thank youI can no longer turn off/shutdown windows updates from service.msc :) I tried netsh just now with admin (as it suggested in one of the links you gave me) and it worked, though I haven't tried it yet on shutdown....but I should be able to schedule that if I do a bit of googling. It still shows the list of networks....Does that matter? Is there no access if it just disconnects from the router but still has the wifi list?

@dmholt57: I didn't know that. No wonder my family are always warning me about having it near me when it's off and not actually using it on your lap too...that's a little scary.

@bro67: Is there a way of turning off WOL in Windows10? See above answers alsoI can no longer turn off/shutdown windows updates from service.msc :)

@:dmholt57

3. BogBeast Win User
    I want shutdown but NOT turn off...

Hello all.

Wondered if anyone can help.

Back in the day when you shutdown Windows it would shut down and wait patiently for you to turn the power off.

Nowadays, you shutdown and the machine will turn itself off. ACPI and all that

Which is great.

But I have a scenario where I would like that old behavior back.

I want to script a shutdown and have it wait WITHOUT turning off. I will then have an external power switch turn the PC off...

Currently, If the PC shuts down neatly and turns off, I can switch off the power, but when I turn it back on, the PC resolutely stays off...

I have been in the BIOS and I can change the "After Power Failure" to always on, but because the machine was cleanly shutdown, this has no effect,

Is it possible to change theis ACPI behaviour?

BogBeast, Aug 3, 2020
  4. jbailey8 Win User

I can no longer turn off/shutdown windows updates from service.msc

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

I can no longer turn off/shutdown windows updates from service.msc

1. I can no longer turn off/shutdown windows updates from service.msc - Similar Threads - longer turn off

2. Disabled all my msc services on accident

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabled all my msc services on accident: My game was crashing off boot of the game so I went on YouTube to try and fix it clicked on the wrong video long story short disabled all my msc services restarted my pc and I can’t login knowing the smart choice I went here in need of answers so I tried to boot up my bios no...
  3. Disabled all my msc services on accident

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabled all my msc services on accident: My game was crashing off boot of the game so I went on YouTube to try and fix it clicked on the wrong video long story short disabled all my msc services restarted my pc and I can’t login knowing the smart choice I went here in need of answers so I tried to boot up my bios no...
  4. can i turn off the update pause

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can i turn off the update pause: how to turn off update pause https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-turn-off-the-update-pause/41de4041-6b50-4341-9be0-56073f6eb02d
  5. Windows Update service automatically turns off

Windows Update service automatically turns off: My windows Update service Automatically turn off in my laptop , I turned it on several time and it automatically disable , Please help me and make it fast...
  6. Turning off Windows 10 Update under services.

Turning off Windows 10 Update under services.: Why is Windows 10 now blocking me from accessing the options to turn Update on or off in Services. I can't choose any of the options. This is AFTER I disabled it on multiple occasions only to have it turn back on. It stayed off for over a week this last time but it started...
  7. How can I turn off Wifi on shutdown on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I turn off Wifi on shutdown on Windows 10?: Hello, I have noticed that when I have turned off my computer (and therefore shutdown Windows10), when I come back to it later and turn it on one of the first things that come up at the login screen (and after logging in) is the Wifi icon which shows it is still on and...
  8. Enabling shutdown sound/turning off fast shutdown?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling shutdown sound/turning off fast shutdown?: I've browsed through a few threads on here, and because of that, I was able to figure out how to disable fast startup (which allows me to listen to the startup sound), but also replace it as well since I believe by default, there is no startup sound in Windows 10. However,...
  9. Can I Turn Off Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I Turn Off Updates?: In the past week I've been inundated with updates that have nearly rendered my laptop useless for online use. It's running much slower and continuously tries to install a failing update, shutting down several times a day to do it. And can I find a way to uninstall Groove...
  10. I want shutdown but NOT turn off...

in Windows 10 Support
    I want shutdown but NOT turn off...: Hello all. Wondered if anyone can help. Back in the day when you shutdown Windows it would shut down and wait patiently for you to turn the power off. Nowadays, you shutdown and the machine will turn itself off. ACPI and all that Which is great. But I have a...