Windows 10: I can not access administrator acccount or change my local account privilages

Discus and support I can not access administrator acccount or change my local account privilages in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My story begins when I accidentally set my local account from being an admin account to device owner group. It takes all of my accessibility away and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Minh VuNguyen Viet, Mar 3, 2019.

1. I can not access administrator acccount or change my local account privilages

My story begins when I accidentally set my local account from being an admin account to device owner group. It takes all of my accessibility away and now I am stuck with an account that does not let me modify my setting. When i check the account in CMD, it said that my local account is now in WDGUtility group. The point is that I have my admin account disabled, so logging in as admin is impossible and to activate my admin account I have to be logged in as the admin; therefore It just goes around in this circle.

so, the question is: Is there a way to activate the admin account so that I can change my local account back? And if not, is there any way that I can recover my local account?

:)

Minh VuNguyen Viet, Mar 3, 2019
  2. Ryan Mon1 Win User

Change local account into administrator

Hi Ankit,

We appreciate you for providing these necessary information. We have another way on how to change your local account user into administrator account. Please follow the steps provided below:

• Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
    • Click Accounts.
    • Click Family & other people.
    • Under Other people, select the user account, and click
      Change account type
    • Under Account type, select Administrator from the drop down menu.
    • Click OK to complete the task.

Note: If you are using an Administrator account, you could use the same instructions to change the type to a Standard User account.

Let us know in case you encounter an issue while following the steps provided.

Ryan Mon1, Mar 3, 2019
  3. Linking Microsoft Account to my Local Account Caused me to Lose Administrator Access

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to login to your temporary user account, enable built in administrator account and try to change the account settings.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.

• Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt.

• Type the following command and hit Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Step 2: Follow the below steps,

• Type User Accounts in the Search box from the desktop and select
      Change the User Accounts.

• Here you will be able to see all the user accounts on your computer.

• Select the User account and see if it is a Standard user account or Administrator.

• If it is standard user then, change it to Administrator.

• Now, log out from the Built-in Administrator account and try to log-in with your Administrator account.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 3, 2019
  4. simrick Win User

I can not access administrator acccount or change my local account privilages

How to revert local account to administrator acc.

Hello. I am not sure I understand the question. Let me see:

• You had an administrative account (local, not MS).
    • You changed this administrative account to a limited account.
    • You want to change the limited account back to an administrative account.
    • You have another administrative account, but you don't know the password.

Is this correct?

You must be logged into an administrative account in order to give administrative rights to a local account.

Does another user of the computer know the password to the administrative account?
    Did you create a password reset disk for the administrative account?

simrick, Mar 3, 2019
Thema:

I can not access administrator acccount or change my local account privilages

1. I can not access administrator acccount or change my local account privilages - Similar Threads - access administrator acccount

2. how can i change my account into an administrator account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i change my account into an administrator account: i know that standard account does not have the family and other user option and i have to sign in to the administrator account but i dont know how it seems that this pc only has one account and its what im using right now. teel me how to sign in to another account here...
  3. how can i change my account into an administrator account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i change my account into an administrator account: i know that standard account does not have the family and other user option and i have to sign in to the administrator account but i dont know how it seems that this pc only has one account and its what im using right now. teel me how to sign in to another account here...
  4. I can not change my account from local to administrator and I only have one account on my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can not change my account from local to administrator and I only have one account on my...: Every time I try to open a launcher it asks for my administrator password but nothing comes up for me to type I tried to change my account type but the same thing kept happened I am really confused...
  5. I can not change my account from local to administrator and I only have one account on my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can not change my account from local to administrator and I only have one account on my...: Every time I try to open a launcher it asks for my administrator password but nothing comes up for me to type I tried to change my account type but the same thing kept happened I am really confused...
  6. How can I change the local PC administrator account on my Windows 11 PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change the local PC administrator account on my Windows 11 PC: When I built my PC I did so with a local NON-MS account specific to that PC as an administrator. That means I have control on the PC and Windows 11 without having to relate to or involve Microsoft. Then I created my usual Microsoft account as a NON-Administrator. That is what...
  7. How to change Local Account to Administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change Local Account to Administrator: I can't change Local to Administrator so this is how it look like: Enter Username and Passwordbut I'm on my only account so please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-local-account-to-administrator/a1bed261-609c-4af9-96ac-651d22812ac2
  8. I can't change my Administrator Microsoft account to a local user.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't change my Administrator Microsoft account to a local user.: I have 2 accounts on my laptop right now. The administrator account was the one I first logged in with this laptop and later, I added my second Microsoft account. I want to change my old account to a local user so I can change the Microsoft account on my second account to...
  9. I cannot access microsoft office from administrative account but can on local account.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cannot access microsoft office from administrative account but can on local account.: HI , I cannot open all my microsoft document error file missing etc cannot open all MS 2019 office programs from my administrator account. Keeps pointing to MS365 which I do not have a license. But everything seem to be normal if I open using a local account. Any...
  10. My Administrator account changed to local account and i can't changed it back

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My Administrator account changed to local account and i can't changed it back: I know about the net user administrator cmd technique and it didn't work, I keep getting system error 5 even after I run it as administrator. the account is the only account in the system i didn't activate default the guest and/or the administrator account....