Windows 10: I can not rename a jpeg photo in File Explorer

Discus and support I can not rename a jpeg photo in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! I'm doing some scanning and photo archiving. I have a bunch of pictures that I wanted to changed the name of. They are from scanned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KindraMendall, Apr 22, 2020.

1. I can not rename a jpeg photo in File Explorer

Hello!

I'm doing some scanning and photo archiving. I have a bunch of pictures that I wanted to changed the name of. They are from scanned negatives and are jpeg files. When I select the file to rename I am allowed to type the new name. But when I hit enter it reverts back to the original name with no error, no explanation, nothing. I have no idea why it will not allow the name change. I've been changing the names of other files all morning.

These files I scanned with a Kodak negative/slide scanner vs. the other which where with my cannon all-in-one. But in the "details" view of file explorer, the files look exactly the same. And both are jpeg files.

Help please!

Kindra Mendall

:)

KindraMendall, Apr 22, 2020

2. Trouble renaming photos and files

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

- Are you using Photo app to rename the photos?

- Did you try renaming the photos directly from File explorer?

- Do you get any message?

I suggest you to rename photos from File Explorer and check if it helps:

Follow the steps to rename photo from File Explorer:

1. Right click on the start menu and select File Explorer.

2. Click on pictures present on the left side of the page.

3. Right on the picture you want to rename and select the option rename.

Help us with more information to assist you further.

Guru Kiran G, Apr 22, 2020
  3. renaming photos imported into windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

To better understand the query, please answer the following questions:

• Are you trying to rename the photos through file explorer?

• Do you receive any error message when you try to rename the photos?

If you are trying to rename the photos before being imported to Windows 10, please be informed that you will have to first import the photos and then rename it later. I would suggest you to try renaming the photos through file explorer by following
    the steps below and check if fit helps.

1. Press Windows key + E to open file explorer.

2. Click “this pc” on the left pane.

3. Open the folder/drive where the photos are located.

4. Right click on the photo which you would like to rename and select ‘rename”.

Also, refer the help article posted by Andre Da costa on how to import photos in Windows 10 for reference

Complete Guide to Importing Your Photos in Windows 10

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Apr 22, 2020
  4. I can not rename a jpeg photo in File Explorer

when i try to right click to rename a photo in windows 10 the option is not there

Hi Sandra

We appreciate your time and effort for getting back to us.

I suggest you to follow the steps and screen shot and check if you are able to find the option to Rename the files:

• Open the Photo App.
    • Click on photo.

Next, Right click on the photo and select the option Open folder.

I can not rename a jpeg photo in File Explorer ebeb603b-ba1b-4a2f-8c3d-23604aedca89.png

Once file explorer open, Right click on the photo and select the option Rename.

I can not rename a jpeg photo in File Explorer 22e07107-c9af-4ba2-995c-8b17d356c244.png

Now try to rename the photo and check if you are able to do it. Let us know if you unable to find these options.

Let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

I can not rename a jpeg photo in File Explorer

1. I can not rename a jpeg photo in File Explorer - Similar Threads - rename jpeg photo

2. File Explorer renaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer renaming: I have subfolders X, Y, and Z in a multi-subfolder folder. In Windows 10, if I wished to change X and Y, I would click the filename of X, wait a second and click it again. I would type in the new X name to change the filename, and single-click the Y folder,. The X filename...
  3. File Explorer renaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer renaming: I have subfolders X, Y, and Z in a multi-subfolder folder. In Windows 10, if I wished to change X and Y, I would click the filename of X, wait a second and click it again. I would type in the new X name to change the filename, and single-click the Y folder,. The X filename...
  4. File Explorer was Renamed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer was Renamed: I don't know when exacly this happened but somehow my file explorer was renamed to File Explorer1. I think i unconciously copied and pasted file explorer because it shows "1". how to fix this ? from File Explorer 1 to File Explorer.1. Using Search2. Right Clicking The Flie...
  5. File Explorer was Renamed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer was Renamed: I don't know when exacly this happened but somehow my file explorer was renamed to File Explorer1. I think i unconciously copied and pasted file explorer because it shows "1". how to fix this ? from File Explorer 1 to File Explorer.1. Using Search2. Right Clicking The Flie...
  6. Why can I not rename a file in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can I not rename a file in File Explorer?: When I enter a new file and change the name, File Explorer closes. When I do reopen, the name has not been changed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-can-i-not-rename-a-file-in-file-explorer/8ae0da8a-df59-47e6-abd7-1cf5abbe7509
  7. File Explorer resets before I can finish renaming a file

File Explorer resets before I can finish renaming a file: In my pictures folder I have a LOT of photos from 2006 forward put into folders by month. I am trying to add folders for recent months, which I am able to do. However when I try to rename the folder from "New Folder" to, say, "2017-07 Vacation" by the time I get to the "V" my...
  8. File Explorer doesn't show thumbnails for photo files such as JPEGs, TIFFs, or others?

File Explorer doesn't show thumbnails for photo files such as JPEGs, TIFFs, or others?: When I open File Explorer instead of showing a thumbnail of the picture it shows an icon representing the picture file. This is rather recent and I suspect another "new and improved" update. I remove the last update but that didn't help. Also, this same thing happens on mu...
  9. Jpeg icons in File Explorer

Jpeg icons in File Explorer: What do √ and >> mean when they appear on a jpeg icon in File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jpeg-icons-in-file-explorer/f56102cb-a2c4-41e4-83e0-6b34b2fa06d5"
  10. rename 900+ jpeg files

rename 900+ jpeg files: I need to rename 900+ jpeg files from unique id #s to first/last names. Any easy way to do this in a bulk fashion? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rename-900-jpeg-files/4ab69210-3051-47ed-ae4b-be12f60e2367"