Windows 10: I can only run windows installer in safe mode

Discus and support I can only run windows installer in safe mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; my hardrive got corrupted and now I can't access anything. I tried everything and even talked to windows perfectionals but it hasn't worked. I need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by anthonydepasquale, Jul 10, 2020.

1. I can only run windows installer in safe mode

my hardrive got corrupted and now I can't access anything. I tried everything and even talked to windows perfectionals but it hasn't worked. I need to use the install USB to format and reinstall windows but it can't find my hardrive and even in the cmd it only sees the usb as a volume. and my computer will only run the USB in safe mode. I don't know what to do anymore. my bios sees my 1tb and windows hard disk are connected and knows windows can boot from the hard disk even though its so broken nothing boots. I've tried everything and need the communities help.

:)

anthonydepasquale, Jul 10, 2020

2. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

Good Evening,
    I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were installed and cleared any pending ones but it still won't boot properly. I have also run the troubleshooter and tried to recovery to an earlier date which also doesn't work.
    The laptop is a HP ENVY 17 notebook. At boot it just gets to the HP logo with the circular loading icon and no further and can only boot it into safe mode. Can anyone recommend the next steps? I have also tried the following;

• stopping startup items
    • uninstalling hardware drivers
    • removing recent software
    • running troubleshooters at boot
    • sfc scan
    • diagnostic/selective startups with minimal services running
    Would the fact that I cant boot into Safe Mode with Networking imply its a network driver related issue?
    Bit of a dead end really, any help would be much appreciated
    Kind regards
    Trevor

trevstonbury, Jul 10, 2020
  3. I can only connect to the internet in safe mode

Hello Rod,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

With the issue description, I understand that you are unable to connect to Internet in normal mode and able to connect in Safe mode only. I will certainly help you in getting this fixed. I would appreciate if you could help me with more information

• Which Security Software is installed on your computer?

I would like to inform you that as the Internet is working in safe mode, then this issue might be occurring because of some software conflict or corrupt network drivers. So I would suggest to disable the Security Software which is installed on the
    computer and then follow below mentioned steps and check if the issue resolves

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install
    other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 1:

Step 1: Safe Mode with Networking

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in “Safe Mode”, let’s reboot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some third
    party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using. Please follow the below mentioned steps

• Click on the Power button on the login screen.

• Press and hold the SHIFT key on keyboard and simultaneously click on
      Restart option.

• Once your PC restarts, on theChoose an optionscreen, tap or click
      Troubleshoot. If you don't see the
      Startup Settings option, tap or click Advanced options.

• Tap or click Startup Settings.

• Tap or click Restart.

• On the Startup Settings screen, choose the startup setting for
      Safe Mode with Networking (Generally F5 key is pressed to select this setting).

• Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

Once the system boots in Safe Mode with Networking then, try step 2

Step 2: Clean Boot

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows.
    To know more, follow the article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

The same steps can be followed for Windows 10 operating system.

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section ‘How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting’.

Try method 2, if the issue persist

Method 2: Uninstall and Reinstall the Network adapter/drivers

Follow these steps to uninstall and reinstall the driver:

Step 1: Uninstall the network drivers

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

b) Click on “Device Manager” from that list.

c) Search for the network adapter/drivers from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and
    then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.

d) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.

After the restart, you may again open the Device Manager and then click on the “Scan for hardware
    changes” button at the top of the Device Manager window and check if Windows 10 detects the network devices and installs an appropriate driver for it automatically. If that happens, then check if it resolves the issue.

Step 2: Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

If the issue still persist, then you may refer to the
    manufactureswebsite and install the latest
    Network adapter/drivers
    for the device.

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Neha.Gupta, Jul 10, 2020
  4. I can only run windows installer in safe mode

Windows 10 only booting into safe mode (not normal or safe mode with networking)

Good Evening,

I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were
    installed and cleared any pending ones but it still won't boot properly. I have also run the troubleshooter and tried to recovery to an earlier date which also doesn't work.

The laptop is a HP ENVY 17 notebook. At boot it just gets to the HP logo with the circular loading icon and no further and can only boot it into safe mode. Can anyone recommend the next steps? I have also tried the following;

• stopping startup items
    • uninstalling hardware drivers
    • removing recent software
    • running troubleshooters at boot
    • sfc scan
    • diagnostic/selective startups with minimal services running

Would the fact that I cant boot into Safe Mode with Networking imply its a network driver related issue?

Bit of a dead end really, any help would be much appreciated

Kind regards

Trevor

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

TrevorJones1, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

I can only run windows installer in safe mode

1. I can only run windows installer in safe mode - Similar Threads - run installer safe

2. Cursor only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor only in safe mode: Hello, I've been having problems with my GPU driver. Whenever I download a new GPU driver my PC crashes and doesn't work correctly. The only thing that helps me with this is uninstalling the new driver and installing a stable older one. For that, I need to load safe mode. At...
  3. Cursor only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cursor only in safe mode: Hello, I've been having problems with my GPU driver. Whenever I download a new GPU driver my PC crashes and doesn't work correctly. The only thing that helps me with this is uninstalling the new driver and installing a stable older one. For that, I need to load safe mode. At...
  4. I can not boot into safe mode

I can not boot into safe mode: HiI tried all methods here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/609752/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-in-windows-11.htmlThe Advanced options does not exists and I tried msconfig safe boot option also does not work, any advise ?...
  5. Commands can only be run in administrator mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Commands can only be run in administrator mode: Hi, I'm the sole user of my computer, and my account type is Administrator. I've recently been trying to use pyspark. Apart from the fact that I can't get it working anyway, one of the issues I'm finding is that when running 'pyspark' in command prompt when it is loaded...
  6. Windows 10 - Can suddenly only boot in safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - Can suddenly only boot in safe mode: My system suddenly started booting into a blue screen that says it encountered a problem with startup and will reboot. After few tries, I can choose from different Startup Options and Safe Mode with network still works. I plugged in a freshly created Windows 10 Boot Media USB...
  7. Windows 10- Can only boot in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10- Can only boot in Safe Mode: PC working fine this morning, tried it after lunch (about an hour ago), and it boots to a blue screen that says it encountered a problem with startup and will reboot. After 2 tries, it finally comes up in a screen where I can try advanced options; Things I've tried from...
  8. Problems with Office 365 - Will Only Run In Safe Mode

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Problems with Office 365 - Will Only Run In Safe Mode: This is a new issue for me and having read online for answers, none have come to solution. All the programs work, but only in safe mode. I have tried uninstalling Office and reinstalling (an older version) - but the issue is still there. Any ideas what I can try? Many...
  9. Can only install programs in Safe Mode or from external drive

Can only install programs in Safe Mode or from external drive: If I try to run most setup.exe files from Windows Explorer (including Desktop) nothing happens and the Explorer folder (or Desktop) freezes. Doesn't matter if I click normally or as an Administrator, and doesn't matter from which User Account. The behavior is not consistent...
  10. Windows only starts in safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows only starts in safe mode: Thank you very much. I will look into all these options although it updated a few days ago and there were no prompts about it this time.