Windows 10: I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the...

Discus and support I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the cards are locked.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jerry Chinn, Apr 30, 2023.

1. I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the...

I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the cards are locked.

:)

Jerry Chinn, Apr 30, 2023
  2. Bree Win User

Writing to SD Cards

You know, there is a forum for Alex Page's USB Image Tool, and this code has been reported before. Suggestions from Alex are that you may have inadvertently left a file open from the card, or that your AV may be blocking access. If you use no other AV besides Defender, then check if turning off Controlled Folder Access helps.

Enable or Disable Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10

I use USB Image Tool too, mostly for making images of USBs, but it works equally well for SD cards. The .img file it creates (and restores) is a sector for sector copy of the source, and when restored the USB/SD it makes should be identical to the original.

That does sound the most likely explanation in this case. Though a trivial possibility exists, SD cards have a write-lock slider that may have accidentally been moved.

Properly low-level formatting an SD card is not possible with the tools in Windows. The SD Association provides an SD Formatter that does it correctly.

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

If that fails, then the SD card is almost certainly dead/dying.

3. Argel Obm Win User
    formatting sd card f drive

Hi Richard,

You can format your SD card in File Explorer. To do this, follow these steps:

• Insert your SD card.
    • Open File Explorer.
    • On the left pane, right-click your SD card and choose Format.
    • If you want to change the File system of your SD card, click the drop-down menu below it and choose one of the options there.
    • Click Start, and then click OK on the prompt.
    • After formatting your SD card, click OK again on the prompt.

If you have additional queries, kindly reply to this thread.

Argel Obm, Apr 30, 2023
  4. I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the...

How to disable write-protection for SD-Card ?

I don't think you understand the problem. It doesn't make any difference if I use a cheap 2 or 4 gb sd-card or the one that I'm using now. If I format say an old 2gb IN THE camera as requested for the firmware upgrade, Win10 will not let me write on it. It's not the card. It's Win10 seeing it as "Read Only State:yes" in diskpart, no matter what I do. I will simply put the firmware file on a usb stick, and boot my old desktop machine with windows XP, that I don't use anymore, and then I will transfer the firmware file from the stick to the SD-Card. In XP there is no problem, reading and writing to these cards formatted in the camera. But I was wondering what exactly is going on with my Win10 laptop preventing me to write on some SD-cards like those formated in my Nikon D500.

Traian Mechenes, Apr 30, 2023
Thema:

I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the...

1. I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the... - Similar Threads - read write format

2. Can a SD card memory reader also successfully read a sdhc card ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a SD card memory reader also successfully read a sdhc card ?: Hey there, if anyone can answer me it would be greatly appreciated.Can a SD card memory reader also successfully read a sdhc card ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-a-sd-card-memory-reader-also-successfully-read/b47399a7-4ab3-4304-8749-20598f4a5814
  3. Can a SD card memory reader also successfully read a sdhc card ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a SD card memory reader also successfully read a sdhc card ?: Hey there, if anyone can answer me it would be greatly appreciated.Can a SD card memory reader also successfully read a sdhc card ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-a-sd-card-memory-reader-also-successfully-read/b47399a7-4ab3-4304-8749-20598f4a5814
  4. I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the...: I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the cards are locked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-read-but-not-write-to-or-format-sd-memory/19c7f73b-1fda-49f6-8502-57a3cacdf2c6
  5. I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the...

I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the...: I can read, but not write to or format SD memory cards, File Explorer keeps saying the cards are locked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-read-but-not-write-to-or-format-sd-memory/19c7f73b-1fda-49f6-8502-57a3cacdf2c6
  6. when i try to format an sd card it says windows cannot format and then says to unlock read...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when i try to format an sd card it says windows cannot format and then says to unlock read...: when i try to format an sd card it says windows cannot format and then says to unlock read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-try-to-format-an-sd-card-it-says-windows/e44fc8fd-0e9f-44e1-885f-e01a8d23f6b1
  7. when i try to format an sd card it says windows cannot format and then says to unlock read...

when i try to format an sd card it says windows cannot format and then says to unlock read...: when i try to format an sd card it says windows cannot format and then says to unlock read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-try-to-format-an-sd-card-it-says-windows/e44fc8fd-0e9f-44e1-885f-e01a8d23f6b1
  8. when i try to format an sd card it says windows cannot format and then says to unlock read...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Writing to SD Cards

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Writing to SD Cards: in order to backup and restore an SD card (32GB) I use "USB Image Tool" on my Windows 10 computer. Worked fine until a month ago but now I get following error message while trying to restore a .img file to my SD Card: "Could not write to the USB device (code:5)! Please close...
  10. Cannot read SD memory card

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot read SD memory card: Hello. I have a refurbished Dell laptop running Windows 10. This laptop is equipped with a variety of ports and should be a huge asset. today I shot some photos on my Nikon D5100 SLR. once done, I removed the SD card and put it into the SD card reader on the side of the...