Windows 10: I can switch to Japanese Microsoft IME but CANNOT input Japanese characters

Discus and support I can switch to Japanese Microsoft IME but CANNOT input Japanese characters in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10. I can switch to Japanese Microsoft IME but CANNOT input Japanese characters. When I left click on the A character, nothing happens. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mklives, May 16, 2019.

1. mklives Win User

I can switch to Japanese Microsoft IME but CANNOT input Japanese characters

Windows 10.

I can switch to Japanese Microsoft IME but CANNOT input Japanese characters. When I left click on the A character, nothing happens. When I right click, some options appear, but when I click on Hiragana, but nothing happens. I have tried some of the solutions posted so far, but they do not work.

And many people seem to be having this same problem. Hundreds of thousands of people outside Japan need to input Japanese using Windows computers. ALL of them will be affected by this bug in Windows 10.

This is an absolute nightmare of an issue: Users cannot even type in the language they need to type in. The fundamental method of using a computer is by typing!

This is the reason why I always use Apple Mac computers for my personal use.

Could someone please point me to a definitive solution to this problem? Judging by the numerous threads on the issue, it has been plaguing users for nearly 4 years.

Thank you.

:)

mklives, May 16, 2019
  2. Mopaxian Win User

Can't switch input methods for Japanese Microsoft IME

Not to be obtuse, but do you know Windows 10? This person is talking about the Windows 10 IME for Japanese, the one that gets installed when you add Japanese as input language. I have the same problem: alt-shift toggles between languages just fine, but by
    default the Japanese IME lets you type in latin characters ("romaji") and while we SHOULD be able to switch that input mode to hiragana, katakana, or even direct input, those options do not work. Even using the mouse to click the "A" and then selecting "hiragana"
    (written in Japanese for whatever reason all of a sudden, it used to be in English unless you were running in full Japanese locale mode) does _nothing_

So: how do we fix that? What do we do in order to get the Microsoft Japanese IME to change input modes (not input languages) when Japanese is active?

Mopaxian, May 16, 2019
  3. TokyoMike Win User
    Switching Japanese Windows with English menus

Yes, I do mean those keys. I tried just switching to Japanese keyboard, as you suggested, but those keys didn't work. Also, the selection key is normally the spacebar in Japan but I could only get IME to work with the Tab key (for those who aren't familiar with Japanese typing: you type in Roman characters, then press a selection key and it steps you through a list of options for the word you are typing in Japanese characters). Did you get the special keys to work as they do in native Japanese mode?

It may well be that I was missing something, although I did try every option I could think of. In any event, as I said, I gave in and now have Japanese Windows running with English menus and everything seems to be working perfectly.
    Thanks,

Mike

TokyoMike, May 16, 2019
  4. mloballer Win User

IME Japanese input

So, set up Japanese as my second input. Each time I hit alt + shift, it will switch to Japanese. However the annoying issue I am dealing with is when it switches to Japanese mode, it is in alphanumeric not hirigana mode, which is extremely annoying because
    if someone switches to Japanese mode, of course, they want to start typing in Japanese, not English, so to switch to hirigana I have to hit CTL + CAPS LOCK, which is annoying to have to do two keyboard shortcuts, why can't I have it default in hirigana mode
    when I hit alt + shift, instead of alphanumeric?? Is there a way to make hirigana the default option when switching to Japanese IME? Let me know thanks.

mloballer, May 16, 2019
Thema:

1. I can switch to Japanese Microsoft IME but CANNOT input Japanese characters - Similar Threads - switch Japanese Microsoft

2. Japanese IME input buggy?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Japanese IME input buggy?: I use Japanese input a lot and it's always been somewhat buggy in my opinion.Often times when I switch to Japanese from English, it defaults to Half-width alphanumeric mode instead of my preferred Hiragana mode. So I'm constantly having to switch back and forth.Often times...
  3. Japanese IME input buggy?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Japanese IME input buggy?: I use Japanese input a lot and it's always been somewhat buggy in my opinion.Often times when I switch to Japanese from English, it defaults to Half-width alphanumeric mode instead of my preferred Hiragana mode. So I'm constantly having to switch back and forth.Often times...
  4. Japanese Microsoft IME

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Japanese Microsoft IME: 5MicrosoftIME !Translated to English -As a 5th grader who can't really understand English that good I need some help please. I want to change it to Japanese. I tried downloading the Japanese Microsoft IME and switched to it but its still in English is it supposed to be like...
  5. Japanese Microsoft IME

in Windows 10 Customization
    Japanese Microsoft IME: 5MicrosoftIME !Translated to English -As a 5th grader who can't really understand English that good I need some help please. I want to change it to Japanese. I tried downloading the Japanese Microsoft IME and switched to it but its still in English is it supposed to be like...
  6. Japanese Microsoft IME

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Japanese IME, characters selection not available

Japanese IME, characters selection not available: Hello, Using Windows 10 Pro, version 1909, IME for Japanese doesn't show the "characters selection" for Hiragana, Katakana, Romaji... [ATTACH] The result of that is that I can't use Japanese on that computer. Why is that? I have already desinstalled, reinstalled... no...
  8. Japanese IME

Japanese IME: Ever since the windows 10 2004 update and with the changes of the IME; the usual toggle keys that I used to use to change between hiragana and katakana and romaji have stopped working, have the toggle keys changed? or do toggles don't work anymore?...
  9. Japanese IME

Japanese IME: In the language bar, I cannot select 'Hiragana' or 'Katakana' in "Input Mode". Only 'Half-width alphanumeric' is available. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/japanese-ime/d654e92e-7b1b-404b-83b9-77d9e6124c06
  10. IME Japanese input

IME Japanese input: So, set up Japanese as my second input. Each time I hit alt + shift, it will switch to Japanese. However the annoying issue I am dealing with is when it switches to Japanese mode, it is in alphanumeric not hirigana mode, which is extremely annoying because if someone switches...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft ime japanese input

2. ime japanese cannot change

3. japanese ime is not ready yet windows 10

4. windows 10 ime input,
  5. windows 10 japanese ime,
  6. japanese ime windows 10 not allowing switch,
  7. microsoft ime japanese,
  8. japanese ime cant switch to hiragana,
  9. japanese ime not working windows 10,
  10. microsoft ime japanese can not switch to hiragana,
  11. how to fix a japanese keyboard IME input,
  12. ime japanese input mode does not work,
  13. input text cant switch to japanese html,
  14. windows 10 switch to japanese,
  15. japanese microsoft ime and it wont input on word?