Windows 10: I cannot access a NAS as a guest user

Discus and support I cannot access a NAS as a guest user in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I need to access a NAS as a guest user, it is possible to access the NAS on a computer with Linus but it is not possible when using Windows. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by christofferfrydkjær, Oct 12, 2018.

1. I cannot access a NAS as a guest user

Hi I need to access a NAS as a guest user, it is possible to access the NAS on a computer with Linus but it is not possible when using Windows. When I try I get the network error 1208.

From what I have read the functionality was disabled in windows because it was too insecure, I don't really understand why it's less secure. I have tried everything I could find on the forums I even tried changing the registry:

Regedit/LocalMachine/System/Current Control Set/Control/LSA
    LmCompatabilitylevel
    set the value to 1 or 2

and other possible fixes i don't remember. I tried calling the support line but they said they were not qualified to answer my question but he send me something that he didn't really understand but he thought it might work:

Go to local Security policies -> Local Policies -> Security Options

Go to Network Security: Lan Manager Authentication Level

Change the value : Send LM and NTLM responses -> Send NTLM Responses Only

But I don't really understand what this is or how to do it and he didn't either.

I hope you can help me? I have tried everything I can think of

:)

christofferfrydkjær, Oct 12, 2018
  2. Vesao Win User

How to remove Guest account?

Try these steps and you should be able to delete the guest account:
    1. Press the WIN + X keys and select "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the Quick Access menu.
    2. At the Command Prompt, run this command: Code:
      Code:
      net user Guest /del

Vesao, Oct 12, 2018
  3. tsram90 Win User
    How to remove Guest account?

Try these steps and you should be able to disable the guest account:

1. Press the WIN + X keys and select "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the Quick Access menu.
    2. At the Command Prompt, run this command:

Code:

tsram90, Oct 12, 2018
  4. I cannot access a NAS as a guest user

Hi Voytek,

To remove the guest account from your start screen, we suggest that you try the following steps:

• Right-click Start menu, then select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enable guest account first by typing net user guest /active:yes, then press
      Enter.
    • Disable guest account by typing net user guest /active:no, then press
      Enter.
    • Perform a
      clean boot in Windows.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

I cannot access a NAS as a guest user

1. I cannot access a NAS as a guest user - Similar Threads - cannot access NAS

2. Guest user / another user with limited access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Guest user / another user with limited access: Hello, I want to create an secondary user on my computer with limited access. I manage to create a secondary user without an Microsoft Account. Just with username and password. My problem is that this other user have access to the D-disk where i have all my personal files....
  3. cannot access Lacie NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot access Lacie NAS: i have a Lacie NAS and cant remember my login details to access it via the web portal is there a way I can acccess it locally via ethernet so I can access the files I cant reset the device as I have photos which I want to keep on it If I took the device out of the nas...
  4. Program running as Service cannot access NAS while logged in as User

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program running as Service cannot access NAS while logged in as User: I have a program that I would like to run as a service. The program requires access to read/write to my NAS. I have changed the service to Log On as my specific user account, in which the username and password match that of the shared NAS drive. This worked up until the...
  5. Guest access disabled - Why is it necessary to enable to access SMBv2 NAS?

Guest access disabled - Why is it necessary to enable to access SMBv2 NAS?: Hello. Since this is the files, folders and storage forum, I hope someone can help me. As most of you know, since windows 10 build 1709, "Guest Access in SMBv2" is disabled by default. When this happened the only way I had to regain network access to my NAS was by modifying...
  6. NAS access for remote users

NAS access for remote users: Good morning all, We are a small design and engineering firm that is beginning to allow more and more remote workers. With that comes the issues of data backup, file sharing, and user based access permissions. In researching options, I believe our needs would be easily...
  7. Connecting to NAS - "Windows cannot access"

Connecting to NAS - "Windows cannot access": I tried to connect to my NAS by entering \\Wintermute into my File Explorer address bar and was prompted to enter my credentials. I then got this error. I get this error every time I try to connect to \\Wintermute, without being asked for my credentials. Can anyone advise...
  8. Cannot access files on Nas

Cannot access files on Nas: On 1803 (latest update) & 1809 I cannot access files on my nas or connect to my Nas web gui with jumbo frames enabled. This is happening on Intel & Realtek nic's. This had been working on all machines until the latest update Win10 Pro and Home. Disabling jumbo frames...
  9. Cannot access NAS from One User

Cannot access NAS from One User: Hello! Yesterday, I came back to my computer, only to find I cannot access my NAS. I went on another computer in my house, attached through LAN and it worked. I also went to another user on my computer and it worked, but on my user it did not. Naturally, I tested and...
  10. Cannot access a secured share on a NAS

Cannot access a secured share on a NAS: I have a NAS drive with both several unprotected folders and one protected folder. I have no trouble accessing the unprotected folders from Win10, but I cannot get access to the protected one. If I click on the secure folder from File Explorer I get the popup [img] I...